Dress Code

Travelcat2

Sorry to start a dress code thread but I have been looking for 45 minutes to find the Dress Code policy on the Silversea website. I understand from newspaper articles that there were changes in the dress code on the Muse and also read that the Silver Explorer has a relaxed dress code.

Thank you for in advance for any dress code information that you can provide.

This might help, from the "Packing Your Cruise Luggage" section on the General Information area under Travel Information on the SS website:

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual

all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and

Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to

dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Evening Dress Code* Number of

Cruise DaysFormalInformalCasual4121513161327133814391531025311263122641327414374153841638517395183105193106203116

Hmmm. Our Silver book indicates that we will have 3 formal nights on our cruise on Whisper, and if those nights happen to line up with nights that we don't plan to have dinner at The Grill or La Terrazza, we will need to have formal dress for the other restaurants. Is this not true? Are dress codes just ignored as long as you look presentable? Since we've already paid for La Dame reservations, and won't know until we board if that's a formal night or not, we plan to bring something to wear that won't get us rejected, or embarrassed. There's nothing in our Silver book that says formal night is optional on our upcoming cruise, except what was mentioned by Unibook. I understand that to mean that formal is required if you are eating at La Dame or the Restaurant.

Hmmm. Our Silver book indicates that we will have 3 formal nights on our cruise on Whisper, and if those nights happen to line up with nights that we don't plan to have dinner at The Grill or La Terrazza, we will need to have formal dress for the other restaurants. Is this not true? Are dress codes just ignored as long as you look presentable? Since we've already paid for La Dame reservations, and won't know until we board if that's a formal night or not, we plan to bring something to wear that won't get us rejected, or embarrassed. There's nothing in our Silver book that says formal night is optional on our upcoming cruise, except what was mentioned by Unibook. I understand that to mean that formal is required if you are eating at La Dame or the Restaurant.

Since it is indicated there will be three formal nights, the easiest thing to do here is just bring three formal outfits. Then you will be prepared no matter what the schedule is and not have to be concerned about it.

Or bring one formal outfit and wear it three times - I guarantee that other pax will remember little about what you wear, and will care even less.

If that doesn't suit you, bring two outfits and alternate.

An outfit for every formal night is a total waste of packing space and time.

It is true that on formal nights you need to adhere to the dress code for La Dame and the MDR, and the code is NOT ignored. You can always change or cancel your La Dame reservation and you will not be charged.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mix n Match....one pair of palazzo pants or a long/midi skirt with different tops/blouses/jacket....a short cocktail dress will also suffice dressed up with accessories...

I don't see anything in the definition of formal that mentions that women can wear pants, or a long/midi skirt as formal attire. Is this true? I have a couple of evening gowns that I've worn to fancy New Year's Eve parties when I still lived in a cold place, but I can't imagine bringing them with me to the Amazon. I have a pants outfit with a glittery jacket that I normally bring on cruises for the upscale restaurants so if I see other women with pants on a formal night, I'll go with that after the first one. I have a cocktail dress, and a number of dressy dresses, so I'll be able to adapt once we're on board. The guys (my husband and brother) have it harder since they refuse to bring a tuxedo, and don't have dark suits. They have jackets, ties and dress pants, and hope that the definition of a dinner jacket is a dark blazer (with a tie, dress shirt and dress pants). We really don't want to cancel our La Dame reservation due to being underdressed since that's the restaurant that most appeals to us as food lovers.

My husband wears on formal night, dark trousers, a dress shirt and bow tie, and a pink jacket, everyone thinks he looks spiffy !!

Thats what he will be wearing on the Muse in February. I usually take two formal long skirts and matching tops.

We like formal nights so we dress accordingly.

Just have to ask if your definition of a dinner jacket was serious or meant to be amusing?

Both actually. Neither my husband nor my brother own anything that would meet my definition of a dinner jacket, and neither of them are an easy fit so they can't just go to the nearest men's store and get one off rack.

So... I was hoping that the definition of a dinner jacket onboard the ship was a little less formal than mine, and from the other replies, I think that's the case. My husband happens to have a pink jacket as well, but we thought the color would make it informal.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've received some very helpful information on this thread, and I think we'll be just fine with our wardrobe. Now if we could get away with wearing flip-flops to dinner, it would be perfect.

On a med cruise, I have seen people refused entry into the MDR on formal night for refusing to wear a jacket and tie. I have seen people loaned a jacket and tie and precede to have dinner.

On our last, on formal night, on the next table to ours, the rather large (I'm being polite there!) gentleman with his extended family, sat there in an Hawaiian shirt which might have graced any 60s disco! But it did look out of place and he sure got noticed.

No one said anything.... Not even the Maitre'd - though I expect that was mostly down to the fact there was zero chance of finding a size 70 jacket to fit...... Plus the fact he was friends of the owner and seemed to do whatever he wanted and each meal was attended to by the chef. (I had visions of Mr Creosote at one point! lol)

I've always adhered to the dress code and always felt it was maybe a little rude to wilfully ignore it to that extent where it clearly was a two finger salute to the other guests and the etiquette expected. I just shrugged it off knowing it was pointless being bothered by that sort of person. I was however peeved with the celebrity status this and one other extended family were given and it didn't go unnoticed by the other guests each mealtime. Particularly when guests complained they were smoking cigars in the la terrazza terrace deck on a large table reserved for them in the centre and nearest to the glass.... No one escaped the fumes... And guests got up and left.

Some people don't have consideration for other guests, it's as simple as that in my eyes, though I'm sure some things said are just done for reaction and best ignored.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk