Uploading pictures

CamMag

I post my photos on another site. You can use a photos site.

I then copy and paste the url, click on the icon that is the second to the write one (if you hold your curser on it it will say insert image) and copy and paste the url and hit ok and the photo shows up. like this.

Photo from the Silver Sprit.

Keith

P1010233.jpg

CamMag, Keith has given you spot on advice when posting using third party sites (e.g.photobucket).

Will share with you the Ipad pix posting 101 note I sent another Silversea cruise critic to offer another option for posting your Silversea cruise pix.

We use an Ipad and the app Tapatalk to post pictures on our Silversea cruises. Ipad photo posting 101 steps: a. Go to Apple App Store--search for Tapatalk app, download, then open b. Search and open Cruise Critic, c. go to CC Forums Silversea board. Now you are ready to post your photos taken on your Ipad (this turnkey photo posting works with Ipad not Camera's) As far as I know, with Camera pix you still need to use a 3rd party photo hosting site, d. click open a silversea thread (e.g. Live Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon). e. you will note a box at bottom of thread displayed on your ipad that says write a reply. compose your reply. f. You will note on the left of the reply box a + in a circle--touch this circle. g.five icons will show up (camera, moutain tops/photos (touch this second icon). h.once touched it will take you to your ipad photos, touch the photo (alas with tapatalk you can only download one pix at a time and for cc only post no more than six pix in a thread. I. after touching the photo, tapatalk app will list three sizes (best, medium, small) ccr's have found when wifi is working well, medium is best to use for pix. However, if wifi is slow, u may want to choose small (download is faster). Viola your img code is now displayed on your reply draft Before I hit reply and use my cursor to make sure I clear the img code (one or two spaces) from the text (makes it easier to read for Silversea cruise critics. Hope this helps and good luck posting--look forward to viewing your cruise snaps.

Presently, do not take our camera with us when we cruise, exclusively use our tablet (Ipad) as posting pictures using the tablet and tapatalk takes much, much less time to post pictures (tho not the exceptional quality (tho very acceptable) as a superb camera photo then posting using a third party site (e.g, photobucket).

CamMag, Keith has given you spot on advice when posting using third party sites (e.g.photobucket).

Will share with you the Ipad pix posting 101 note I sent another Silversea cruise critic to offer another option for posting your Silversea cruise pix.

We use an Ipad and the app Tapatalk to post pictures on our Silversea cruises. Ipad photo posting 101 steps: a. Go to Apple App Store--search for Tapatalk app, download, then open b. Search and open Cruise Critic, c. go to CC Forums Silversea board. Now you are ready to post your photos taken on your Ipad (this turnkey photo posting works with Ipad not Camera's) As far as I know, with Camera pix you still need to use a 3rd party photo hosting site, d. click open a silversea thread (e.g. Live Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon). e. you will note a box at bottom of thread displayed on your ipad that says write a reply. compose your reply. f. You will note on the left of the reply box a + in a circle--touch this circle. g.five icons will show up (camera, moutain tops/photos (touch this second icon). h.once touched it will take you to your ipad photos, touch the photo (alas with tapatalk you can only download one pix at a time and for cc only post no more than six pix in a thread. I. after touching the photo, tapatalk app will list three sizes (best, medium, small) ccr's have found when wifi is working well, medium is best to use for pix. However, if wifi is slow, u may want to choose small (download is faster). Viola your img code is now displayed on your reply draft Before I hit reply and use my cursor to make sure I clear the img code (one or two spaces) from the text (makes it easier to read for Silversea cruise critics. Hope this helps and good luck posting--look forward to viewing your cruise snaps.

Presently, do not take our camera with us when we cruise, exclusively use our tablet (Ipad) as posting pictures using the tablet and tapatalk takes much, much less time to post pictures (tho not the exceptional quality (tho very acceptable) as a superb camera photo then posting using a third party site (e.g, photobucket).

Another vote for tapatalk here too.. (But it was your recommendation to me in the first place.)

Thinking about our July trip already! Would like to know how to upload pictures. Is the any guidance here about size of file etc? Thanks

For posting larger photos to these boards, one of the FIRST STEP could be to pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 179,388 views for this posting.

I printed out Terry's instructions and carried them with me.

I agree with Wes that the iPad and upload to tapatalk is an easy way to post pictures.

Not sure what the future will hold for posting pictures if we can't use iPad or laptop due to plane restrictions.

I sure won't pack either of those in baggage. And I guess my digital camera may be banned too.

Posting pictures has become a monster pain in the rear for the past few months.

It used to be pretty simple, and it worked exactly like Terry outlined it. Now there are a few kinks in the system. Here's why.

The method that Terry outlines works by inserting a "Direct Link" to your picture, which is stored on another server. When you insert that direct link into your post, the picture itself is NOT stored on CC. When the page is displayed, that link points to your picture, and it is displayed along with your post.

Now, the problem. Picasa no longer exists, and Google Photos no longer allows direct links! There used to be a workaround but they closed the loophole about 6 months ago and I can't find another one. The reason, I assume, is that they want you to visit their site directly (and see the ads there) in order to view any pictures, and a direct link doesn't allow that. Flickr also seems to suffer from that limitation; you can't get a direct link without manipulating the provided URL. You can bypass the limitation, and manually create direct links from the URL that they give, but AFAIK it is a violation of their TOS to do so.

There are some paid sites that still allow direct links. I am pretty sure that SmugMug allows them. But I am a cheapo and won't pay. Terry - what do you use, and does it still allow direct links? Or do you have to work around it?

My current workaround is to use Tapatalk (the smartphone app) that Wes references; it is the same as the iPad app. But I want to post pictures that I've taken with my camera, in addition to the occasional smartphone picture. How do I do that?

I organize my pictures with Adobe Photoshop Elements. Once I decide which pictures belong in my posts, I shrink them and move the smaller copies to my phone. Then I write the post on my laptop (typing long posts on the phone can be painful) and submit it. Lastly, I open the Forums app, and add the pictures. The process using the Forums app (Tapatalk; also works on iPad) is amazingly simple to use, and I really like it. In fact, it's so simple that it makes all the editing and exporting work in PSE worth the hassle.

To answer one of the original questions, I shrink my pictures to 1024x768 for posting. SOME direct links allow you to specify the size of the displayed image, and you can display it at a lower resolution that the original. Picasa used to do that; I'd usually use 800x600, no matter what the size of the original.

It would be much easier if CC allowed us to upload directly. Even when you use the forums app, the picture is uploaded to the tapatalk server, not CC. But the process is automatic, and easy.

I printed out Terry's instructions and carried them with me.

I agree with Wes that the iPad and upload to tapatalk is an easy way to post pictures.

Not sure what the future will hold for posting pictures if we can't use iPad or laptop due to plane restrictions.

I sure won't pack either of those in baggage. And I guess my digital camera may be banned too.

Yes, I'm definitely going to need to print them out!

Luckily for me we board this trip in London which is just a taxi ride away but, like you, I am concerned about the future when we fly as we take all the usual technology with us including cameras and there's no way I would want to check any of it in to hold baggage.

Posting pictures has become a monster pain in the rear for the past few months.

It used to be pretty simple, and it worked exactly like Terry outlined it. Now there are a few kinks in the system. Here's why.

The method that Terry outlines works by inserting a "Direct Link" to your picture, which is stored on another server. When you insert that direct link into your post, the picture itself is NOT stored on CC. When the page is displayed, that link points to your picture, and it is displayed along with your post.

Now, the problem. Picasa no longer exists, and Google Photos no longer allows direct links! There used to be a workaround but they closed the loophole about 6 months ago and I can't find another one. The reason, I assume, is that they want you to visit their site directly (and see the ads there) in order to view any pictures, and a direct link doesn't allow that. Flickr also seems to suffer from that limitation; you can't get a direct link without manipulating the provided URL. You can bypass the limitation, and manually create direct links from the URL that they give, but AFAIK it is a violation of their TOS to do so.

There are some paid sites that still allow direct links. I am pretty sure that SmugMug allows them. But I am a cheapo and won't pay. Terry - what do you use, and does it still allow direct links? Or do you have to work around it?

My current workaround is to use Tapatalk (the smartphone app) that Wes references; it is the same as the iPad app. But I want to post pictures that I've taken with my camera, in addition to the occasional smartphone picture. How do I do that?

I organize my pictures with Adobe Photoshop Elements. Once I decide which pictures belong in my posts, I shrink them and move the smaller copies to my phone. Then I write the post on my laptop (typing long posts on the phone can be painful) and submit it. Lastly, I open the Forums app, and add the pictures. The process using the Forums app (Tapatalk; also works on iPad) is amazingly simple to use, and I really like it. In fact, it's so simple that it makes all the editing and exporting work in PSE worth the hassle.

To answer one of the original questions, I shrink my pictures to 1024x768 for posting. SOME direct links allow you to specify the size of the displayed image, and you can display it at a lower resolution that the original. Picasa used to do that; I'd usually use 800x600, no matter what the size of the original.

It would be much easier if CC allowed us to upload directly. Even when you use the forums app, the picture is uploaded to the tapatalk server, not CC. But the process is automatic, and easy.

Thanks for the additional information. i didn't realise it would be so complex! Luckily I have time to sort out what will work before our trip.

• 2 weeks later...
JP I have exactly the same problem but being an old dinosaur I have absolutely no idea what TOS is!businessman-holding-wink-smiley-front-his-face-mature-office-31196464.jpg

Terms of Service methinks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, terms of service.

Google Photos has been a terrible disappointment to me as a replacement for Picasa. It's fairly useless for my wants/needs. Oh well. Advertising dollars are what make the internet run, so it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP, how are you getting your photos onto your iPad? Is it via an extra step using a laptop first? Most of the rest is straightforward - but this is the bit probably most will struggle with. My canon 6D camera has an app i can wifi straight over to my iPad either full size or reduced sizes - which is obviously the way to go for forum uploads. Tapatalk does the rest!

Les, I put them on my Android phone from the laptop. I use a USB cable, and move them using Windows (copy and paste, or drag and drop). It's a temporary move as they get deleted shortly after posting.

Yes, it's a complicated painful process. It would work for an iPad I presume. But I don't speak Apple...I do have an iPad for work but so far I hate the thing. The last Apple I used was an Apple IIe. Yes, that one...vintage 1980.

Les, I put them on my Android phone from the laptop. I use a USB cable, and move them using Windows (copy and paste, or drag and drop). It's a temporary move as they get deleted shortly after posting.

Yes, it's a complicated painful process. It would work for an iPad I presume. But I don't speak Apple...I do have an iPad for work but so far I hate the thing. The last Apple I used was an Apple IIe. Yes, that one...vintage 1980.

OK cheers JP.... I was hoping you had a magic step to do that! Yes this pretty important part to be able to distribute is quite complicated to say the least.

So you have your laptop with you to be able to post while away?

My camera and indeed the wife's Sony could use the android version to transfer onto an android phone direct so laptop eliminated. But it's still a pain setting up wifi to do it.

OK cheers JP.... I was hoping you had a magic step to do that! Yes this pretty important part to be able to distribute is quite complicated to say the least.

So you have your laptop with you to be able to post while away?

My camera and indeed the wife's Sony could use the android version to transfer onto an android phone direct so laptop eliminated. But it's still a pain setting up wifi to do it.

I bring my laptop but that's mainly to download from the cameras every few days. I use the laptop for a backup until I get home and then back them up to a few different places here. I don't post too many pictures while I'm away, though I used to do it back when Picasa existed, and was more cooperative.

Now if I post something on the fly, it's usually a cellphone picture. If I desperately want to post something from my laptop, I transfer it to the cellphone via Bluetooth (which is quick enough for a single image) and post it that way. I could transfer from camera to phone using Wi-Fi (for 2 of our 3 cameras at least) but I like to look at the pictures full-size before posting, and I need the laptop for that.

The process I describe does sound complicated but it's not too different from what I used to do. I always organized photos in Adobe PSE before deciding which ones to post in my reviews. After I decided which to post, I downsized them before uploading the small versions to Picasa (this saved storage space), and then wrote the posts, added the pictures from Picasa, and posted.

Now I organize, pick the pictures, and downsize them - all the same as before. Only difference is that I transfer them to my phone instead of upload to Picasa. Then I write the post on my laptop (easier to type), submit the post, and edit it immediately on my phone using the forums app to add the pictures directly.

I think I may break down and try a paid service like Smugmug. I'm looking for an online backup service anyway. I have multiple redundant backups already but nothing off-site.

Yes, terms of service.

Google Photos has been a terrible disappointment to me as a replacement for Picasa. It's fairly useless for my wants/needs. Oh well. Advertising dollars are what make the internet run, so it is what it is.

Hi JP,

Which itinerary will you be on in October on Explorer?

We have a Roll Call for Guayaquil - Valparaiso.

I mistakenly posted it as Oct 24 (should be 25th):eek:

Breckpatty

Tapatalk is definitely the easiest, quickest and most straight forward way to post pics. I no longer take a camera, just do iPhone and iPad pics, and post directly using Tapatalk.

I used to carry camera, post to third party site then transfer to CC, but it was a major pain in the butt, so I posted very few pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I guess am about all done trying to post pictures...

I see most on this thread use Tapatalk or something like that. I only use Blackberry for communication and never take pictures with it due to all pictures are automatically uploaded to a company servers. So mobile apps are not going to be much good to us...

There must be something others are using as a quick easy one-stop upload of pictures using only a computer? Cruise critic on their picture upload button, only offers a blank line to enter a URL only and no option to enter a reduced size picture to be hosted onsite.

I am down to my last third party service and use it the last two ways I know (Google photo is the last service I am going to use because it automatically uploads all photos and reduces the size)

The first picture below is just copied and pasted right onto the page. It shows up fine when reviewing before posting and even after, checking the next day still OK. Others say it’s not visible to them.

Picture 1 (Explorer in Saint Malo lock)

1CbMRaM9leCm5d7AlKkW5kq_W5XB2tJry0DaSWJgTfcXbvh-P9AANAJCfjnwz47itBLWKPLVHZasKxgr3EqiXb2HqOA-3_1jvW2LuIFZZJyO4vULmg19J0nM0udc2L-gS-eATQxYVNQC6m9jE8ZEu-af2y2fPJNcmbjit4CZ-F9kBG8SW93EdnKrbTI4NxCQCQQYMvZDkxFdKbiAhLX_enoSQkFjmyYsoHUhlOwyYUnSJNmlMOXEIoUuKhzyAH9A_cXaBFjyBBwsYm8M0xzxPAEOCglfnqdF9o8TzWWTH2fkENO-7o4OYtahRhC5k2TKXWYQAQ_mb1FwYn1qFPYQjJK6mXDDMBtWYth8I-2hupwKyXRhfRXHUWDSoIoDiOZnXYuGCIOdsymwEK-6sUZ56kzQR49V0IzjY_OSfITrYPcQDfoatA9PQSI3X32vb0oNu9bWaXp1_fwZg8u1HMAOc5OdudN-eZm004Cqp10MNtycTzSQJXt8x0cJXDKz1ylwG5kSHhiGge1f_Yq-mnDfp-aDlogJM7MUiHt4EvoLRStQf9fChjul91qe2QGWeYPtBlijz0ZrMpfRHfYhwM2GhNsqp1VS8MV0Dt8gSFZnGRoKVBFQMsYE=w477-h341-no

Second way is to click on a photo in my Google account and right-click, selecting properties. In properties, copy address in URL. Then click on picture icon in Cruise Critics and paste it into open box. It also shows nicely when reviewing and posting. Also checking the next day and on other computers still OK and visible to me.

Picture 2 (Explorer in Saint Malo lock)

1CbMRaM9leCm5d7AlKkW5kq_W5XB2tJry0DaSWJgTfcXbvh-P9AANAJCfjnwz47itBLWKPLVHZasKxgr3EqiXb2HqOA-3_1jvW2LuIFZZJyO4vULmg19J0nM0udc2L-gS-eATQxYVNQC6m9jE8ZEu-af2y2fPJNcmbjit4CZ-F9kBG8SW93EdnKrbTI4NxCQCQQYMvZDkxFdKbiAhLX_enoSQkFjmyYsoHUhlOwyYUnSJNmlMOXEIoUuKhzyAH9A_cXaBFjyBBwsYm8M0xzxPAEOCglfnqdF9o8TzWWTH2fkENO-7o4OYtahRhC5k2TKXWYQAQ_mb1FwYn1qFPYQjJK6mXDDMBtWYth8I-2hupwKyXRhfRXHUWDSoIoDiOZnXYuGCIOdsymwEK-6sUZ56kzQR49V0IzjY_OSfITrYPcQDfoatA9PQSI3X32vb0oNu9bWaXp1_fwZg8u1HMAOc5OdudN-eZm004Cqp10MNtycTzSQJXt8x0cJXDKz1ylwG5kSHhiGge1f_Yq-mnDfp-aDlogJM7MUiHt4EvoLRStQf9fChjul91qe2QGWeYPtBlijz0ZrMpfRHfYhwM2GhNsqp1VS8MV0Dt8gSFZnGRoKVBFQMsYE=w477-h341-no

Maybe some can see one or both pictures and others can’t see any... Is there any simple ways left to post pictures strictly from a computer?

Carefreecruise, I see both of them now. I couldn't see any of the others. Google Photos doesn't work for me any more, though.

I think the only "simple" way to post pics is with a host that still allows direct links. Google Photos doesn't do that any more, unless you've found a workaround. I think most if not all of the free ones stopped doing this.

Ok I guess am about all done trying to post pictures...

I see most on this thread use Tapatalk or something like that. I only use Blackberry for communication and never take pictures with it due to all pictures are automatically uploaded to a company servers. So mobile apps are not going to be much good to us...

There must be something others are using as a quick easy one-stop upload of pictures using only a computer? Cruise critic on their picture upload button, only offers a blank line to enter a URL only and no option to enter a reduced size picture to be hosted onsite.

I am down to my last third party service and use it the last two ways I know (Google photo is the last service I am going to use because it automatically uploads all photos and reduces the size)

The first picture below is just copied and pasted right onto the page. It shows up fine when reviewing before posting and even after, checking the next day still OK. Others say it’s not visible to them.

Picture 1 (Explorer in Saint Malo lock)

Second way is to click on a photo in my Google account and right-click, selecting properties. In properties, copy address in URL. Then click on picture icon in Cruise Critics and paste it into open box. It also shows nicely when reviewing and posting. Also checking the next day and on other computers still OK and visible to me.

Picture 2 (Explorer in Saint Malo lock)

Maybe some can see one or both pictures and others can’t see any... Is there any simple ways left to post pictures strictly from a computer?

What pictures? Just teasing - lol..... both have appeared. ;-)