Clueless Native Floridian Cruising at End of September

CammieO

One thing I would suggest is a wind/water resistant beanie for your head. I hate pulling up hoods on jackets or sweatshirts, as it really cuts down on peripheral vision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s a good suggestion! I wear glasses though, so the hood plus the brim of a ball cap helps keep my lenses dry. I do hate losing my peripheral vision though.

We have been to Alaska several times but only one time late in the season and we can say that you definitely neeed items you have mentioned including dry outer wear and warmer layers. It can be rough that time of year between weather, businesses closing and less access to time outside the ship if the weather is bad and since the daylight hours will be drastically reduced.......but just go with a good attitude and take the tips given above ........

Thanks! I’m very excited! Even if it pours the whole time I can still enjoy the ship (though of course I’d like to be enjoying nature more haha).

My husband and I wear glasses and find that waterproof sombreros instead of ball caps are better at keeping drops off the glasses. And no need for the hood (even before I wore glasses - I hated hoods ;-)

I got my first Outdoor Research sombrero when I was 14 and introduced them to my husband. Now I have a waterproof ex officio hat packed for my AK cruise this week. (Columbia has lots of great options too, if you have an outlet store nearby). I usually order mine from Sierra Trading Post, REI Outlet, or Amazon....[my husband has also shaved his head for ~20 years so I tend to buy LOTS of hats. He wears them almost every day - sun protection, warmth, water protection - whatever the need, we have a hat for that;p]

I’m a native Floridian myself, now a Juneauite. It’s not super cold yet that time of year, but the wet 40-50 degree temps can be more miserable than dry and 30s. You’re on the right track. Wool socks, waterproof hiking shoes (I like Merrells) that you have work around enough before you leave to know they are comfortable, and waterproof rain coat and pants should be all you need to layer over your regular stuff. The more cotton you are wearing, the more miserable you will be when wet. Bring a couple pairs of fleece gloves, so you can have one drying if necessary. Oh, and a hat with a brim! In always wear a ball cap under my rain coat hood when walking in the rain. It could be pouring rain, or just mist, or, with the amazingly unusual summer we have had, it could even be 65 and sunny. Also be prepared for some businesses to already be closed for the season or be in clearance sale mode. That is the very tail end of the season, and many of the college-aged workers will have gone back to school. Enjoy your visit!

Thank you for the advice! I will make sure to pack an extra pair of gloves. We’re not big shoppers, but I would like to grab a few souvenirs for people back home and a magnet in each port so hopefully I will be able to find those sorts of things. Thank you again!

My husband and I wear glasses and find that waterproof sombreros instead of ball caps are better at keeping drops off the glasses. And no need for the hood (even before I wore glasses - I hated hoods ;-)

I got my first Outdoor Research sombrero when I was 14 and introduced them to my husband. Now I have a waterproof ex officio hat packed for my AK cruise this week. (Columbia has lots of great options too, if you have an outlet store nearby). I usually order mine from Sierra Trading Post, REI Outlet, or Amazon....[my husband has also shaved his head for ~20 years so I tend to buy LOTS of hats. He wears them almost every day - sun protection, warmth, water protection - whatever the need, we have a hat for that;p]

Oh I’ve never even heard of those before! Thanks for the tip! They sound very helpful. I keep learning about new things here haha. Enjoy your cruise!!

Yeah, I heard about them as well. I hope they work well for you (or that you don’t need them at all)! I got a pair of REI rain pants on clearance and have a good rain jacket already so hopefully I’ll be covered.

I'm back! Did not need the rain pants! The Dick's we went to only stocked the lite-weight jacket/pant combo for $20. Returned it after the cruise.

It was sunny and or partly cloudy the whole week. Yes, I think I brought the sun with me. I did use the rain jacket for extra warmth as needed. Glacier Bay was sunny and layered up if we went out side to walk the deck, it was cold from the wind. I used my hat/gloves. Was chilly on the excursion to Tracy Arm. I wore long underwear and took every layer that I brought!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm back! Did not need the rain pants! The Dick's we went to only stocked the lite-weight jacket/pant combo for $20. Returned it after the cruise.

It was sunny and or partly cloudy the whole week. Yes, I think I brought the sun with me. I did use the rain jacket for extra warmth as needed. Glacier Bay was sunny and layered up if we went out side to walk the deck, it was cold from the wind. I used my hat/gloves. Was chilly on the excursion to Tracy Arm. I wore long underwear and took every layer that I brought!

I’m glad the weather was nice! I think I’ll be glad to have all the layers, just in case haha. Thanks for the update!

It was sunny and or partly cloudy the whole week. Yes, I think I brought the sun with me. I did use the rain jacket for extra warmth as needed.

Glad the weather worked out for you. Sometimes being prepared for rain / bad weather seems to keep it away, lol.

I am curious about the rain jacket / pant combo you used from Dick’s. You said you did not need the pants and returned it after the cruise. You then mentioned that you wore the jacket for extra warmth as needed. Did they give you a refund just for the pants or did you also return the jacket? Do they give refunds when items have been used? If so, it’s a great deal and I will start using them for things I will only need once.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi JT. The pant/jacket combo by Frogg Toggs was for my husband in case he needed pants. I did have him try them. They were soo thin. The cheap combo was less then the original pant I wanted.

We both had waterproof rain jackets that were used as extra warmth...good wind breakers. Can't believe I went to Alaska and never had rain. I'm spoiled now. Planning a one way in 2020.:cool::cool:

Hi JT. The pant/jacket combo by Frogg Toggs was for my husband in case he needed pants. I did have him try them. They were soo thin. The cheap combo was less then the original pant I wanted.

We both had waterproof rain jackets that were used as extra warmth...good wind breakers. Can't believe I went to Alaska and never had rain. I'm spoiled now. Planning a one way in 2020.:cool::cool:

Thanks for the information. And once to Alaska is never enough [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...