Alaska Marine Highway (Alaska Ferry System)

narrowboat1947

Another interesting experience is when I went to Cordova. I had rented a Kia Sophia in Anchorage from Rent=a=Wreck (and it was) and took it on the ferry with me. I drove it down a 50+mile gravel(Burma) road to Childs Glacier. Sat for hours watching and listening across the Copper River at the glacier calving. What an experience!!! Also took a walk on the abandoned Million dollar bridge. From what I understand the road has been washed out and is now inaccessible. Very fortunate to have seen it !!!

Hate to say this but a month or so ago on the Copper River Highway, 45 miles from Cordova, the road washed out again. The Million Dollar Bridge and Childs Glacier viewing and campground are at Mile 49.

Now this washout is at Mile 45, the washout at Mile 36 happened about six years ago which took a bridge and part of a long section of road, hasn't been replaced yet. I have a picture from a friend in Cordova who runs a B&B down there in the summers and in conjunction with that he takes visitors out to the Million Dollar Bridge and the US Forest Service campground there. He does this by driving them out to Mile 36, then using his airboat, takes them across the breach where he has vans on the road and drives them on up to the Bridge, he provides lunch etc. Now he cannot do that anymore because of this new road washout. Or at least that is what I think he does, also, I guess there is at least one other outfit that does the same (did).

He could take them all the way up the Million Dollar by airboat, from 36 mile, but that is quite a run and the way I understand it is visitors don't care much for a long cold run like that in a screaming airboat. Click on the picture to enlarge it, if it comes up.

39762330_10212762999776004_7782305359657435136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=2cfa1f8573f9bb851a2d198ec278e983&oe=5C2FED29