Voom questions/streaming etc.

Cruisegirl6

Thanks, Bob. I understand that prices are per day and per device so your questions make sense. We're Gold level with Royal. Current price in planner right now is $11.99 for "Vroom Surf & Stream package - 1 device". When you purchase, do you purchase by number of days? Hubby would have his laptop and I would have mine, so it sounds like we'd both have to purchase. Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks again!

You can only buy the package online for the length of your cruise. As far as how many packages you need, that is up to you. You could buy a one device package and share it between the two of you and all your devices. You would only be allowed to have one device connected at a time, but it is easy to share if you both don't need to be connected all the time.

Hubby would have his laptop and I would have mine, so it sounds like we'd both have to purchase. Am I understanding that correctly?

No, buy only a one device package under you, but both of you can use the same login info, just not at the same time. BTW, also look for the typically cheaper Surf only option in the planner.

We share a connection. It works fine.

Just ask before logging in. As on some ships, if you log in, the other person is logged off, and will wonder why it isn't working. And if they then log in again, you will lose the connection and you both get frustrated. BT, DT. :D

I have been wondering about my options also for my upcoming cruise to the ABC islands on navigator. My husband and myself are diamond so we get one free day each. It's a 9 day cruise so my questions are, can I start out using my free day and then my husbands free day on day two and then pay for only 6 more days or are you obligated to buy for the entire cruise? Is it cheaper to wait until on board or cheaper ahead online? We just need the one device and surf only not the voom.

I have been wondering about my options also for my upcoming cruise to the ABC islands on navigator. My husband and myself are diamond so we get one free day each. It's a 9 day cruise so my questions are, can I start out using my free day and then my husbands free day on day two and then pay for only 6 more days or are you obligated to buy for the entire cruise? Is it cheaper to wait until on board or cheaper ahead online? We just need the one device and surf only not the voom.

You can skip the first 2 (or 3 or 4,...) days and then buy the remainder of the cruise. Prices will generally be less expensive per day pre-cruise for stream, and usually surf is not available pre-cruise. Hiwever, pre-cruise purchase must be for the entire cruise.

Is it cheaper to wait until on board or cheaper ahead online?

It depends on the planner price for Surf, if available. On the ship it's $16/day. If you skip the first day and use the first D coupon for day 2, you can buy the remaining days package on day 3 for $89 (7x16 - 23).

I am more confused than ever...lol.:confused::confused: I guess I will figure it out though. One question please. Can I bring my iphone and Chromebook to watch Netflex? I understand I can only log into one electronic at a time.

Yes, but you should have Surf & Stream for video.

I am more confused than ever...lol.:confused::confused: I guess I will figure it out though. One question please. Can I bring my iphone and Chromebook to watch Netflex? I understand I can only log into one electronic at a time.

Netflix will work, but depending on what ship you're on, it will be slow. However, once netflix buffers, you should be able to watch it without interruption usually. I found that the ships with the O3B stream better, but sometimes have other issues with connection that can hinder streaming.

If you have Hulu, that will also work like Netflix, but my Xfinity app could not adapt to the slow speed and constantly hiccuped.

Netflix will work, but depending on what ship you're on, it will be slow. However, once netflix buffers, you should be able to watch it without interruption usually. I found that the ships with the O3B stream better, but sometimes have other issues with connection that can hinder streaming.

If you have Hulu, that will also work like Netflix, but my Xfinity app could not adapt to the slow speed and constantly hiccuped.

Another issue that I've seen reported is that sometimes the IP address present by the ship's internet looks like it's out of the licensing area for a streaming service.

Another issue that I've seen reported is that sometimes the IP address present by the ship's internet looks like it's out of the licensing area for a streaming service.

This was a concern for me in 2016 when i sailed on the Anthem. However, I did not have any issue IPwise. I remember hitting that wall in Canada land base prior to that, which kind of pissed me off then,. Fortunately, I've been able to stream on my cruises since 2016.

Since we know that the IP wall still exists for countries outside the license, is it possible that the IP address mimics the address of their home port?

This was a concern for me in 2016 when i sailed on the Anthem. However, I did not have any issue IPwise. I remember hitting that wall in Canada land base prior to that, which kind of pissed me off then,. Fortunately, I've been able to stream on my cruises since 2016.

Since we know that the IP wall still exists for countries outside the license, is it possible that the IP address mimics the address of their home port?

Possibly, I'll take a look next month when we are on Jewel. Also could be a different situation for O3b vs non-O3b ships.

Mine says $9.99 per day surf only, one device. Is that the regular price? Does it get lower? Is it better to buy pre-cruise or onboard?

It's usually better to buy pre-cruise. Pre-cruise prices change all the time, there is no "regular" pre-cruise price.

On board prices:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55188055&postcount=105

Mine says $9.99 per day surf only, one device. Is that the regular price? Does it get lower? Is it better to buy pre-cruise or onboard?

Kept watching my cruise planner, and ended up with 2 devices for the price of one @$18.99 or $9.49 each for surf and stream. So far that is the cheapest I found. Still looking to improve :)

Possibly, I'll take a look next month when we are on Jewel. Also could be a different situation for O3b vs non-O3b ships.

I didn't have an issue on the Anthem nor on the Grandeur IPwise. The Anthem was the first ship since my cruise in 2008 that I've ever used the internet for anything extensive. In 2008, it was horrid, but since then its upgraded to just tolerable. Having it on the grandeur tested my patience, but ultimately, proved to be workable.

It's usually better to buy pre-cruise. Pre-cruise prices change all the time, there is no "regular" pre-cruise price.

On board prices:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55188055&postcount=105

Thank you, Bob, do you know which ships have O3b and which don’t? (Not that I understand what I am asking ;p)

Kept watching my cruise planner, and ended up with 2 devices for the price of one @$18.99 or $9.49 each for surf and stream. So far that is the cheapest I found. Still looking to improve :)

I think I will reserve. If the prices get lower I can always ask for repricing till 3 days prior to sailing. :)

Thank you, Bob, do you know which ships have O3b and which don’t? (Not that I understand what I am asking ;p)

I think I will reserve. If the prices get lower I can always ask for repricing till 3 days prior to sailing. :)

All of Quantum and Oasis class. I believe Libety, Freedom, and Majesty too. Might be another.