Phone usage on ship

dep

One more suggestion for folks traveling ON LAND internationally - i recently bought the SkyRoam SOLIS device which gives a wifi hotspot in 120+ countries without needing to buy a sim card. The charge is $8-10 per day of use. It lets up to 5 devices connect to the hotspot. So, when we landed in Spain, I turned it on and all my wifi-calling worked like a charm. Then crossed over to Morocco and again, the wifi-calling worked like a charm. We were a group of 9 people and I just kept the small device in my backpack and wherever we were, we had wifi and phone service.

I strongly recommend this for frequent travelers who want to stay connected.

Last year I enabled att WiFi-calling on my phone. Then purchased the voom. As long as my phone was on the ships wifi, I could receive and make calls for free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But that does not help when you are on shore away from the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One more suggestion for folks traveling ON LAND internationally - i recently bought the SkyRoam SOLIS device which gives a wifi hotspot in 120+ countries without needing to buy a sim card. The charge is $8-10 per day of use. It lets up to 5 devices connect to the hotspot. So, when we landed in Spain, I turned it on and all my wifi-calling worked like a charm. Then crossed over to Morocco and again, the wifi-calling worked like a charm. We were a group of 9 people and I just kept the small device in my backpack and wherever we were, we had wifi and phone service.

I strongly recommend this for frequent travelers who want to stay connected.

THAT is very interesting, I had never heard of this, I will look into it.

THANKS

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last year I enabled att WiFi-calling on my phone. Then purchased the voom. As long as my phone was on the ships wifi, I could receive and make calls for free.

We do the same and with ATT we have free land based coverage on shore in Mexico. Since in the last four years on three Oasis class ships we seldom leave the ship the Voom works fine.

Yeah, except I can’t get a T-Mobile signal at home, and I live in a pretty big city. Frustrating!

That's what WiFi calling solves.;)

Plus, once they merge with Sprint and deploy 5G, coverage should improve. Of course, you'll need new phones for that and wait a bit.

I've struggled so much with understanding all of this. I have an iPhone and my SO has an android. We both have Verizon and we'll have the 2 device Voom package. What would be the easiest way for us to communicate via text while on the ship?

If you are both hooked up to the ships wifi, then you can call or text each other by wifi I would think?????? Haven't tried this yet though.

The wifi calling is a great addition to our sailings over the last couple years with aging parents and such.

I've struggled so much with understanding all of this. I have an iPhone and my SO has an android. We both have Verizon and we'll have the 2 device Voom package. What would be the easiest way for us to communicate via text while on the ship?

If you both can enable WiFi calling on your phones, then you can text as you normally do at home.

Otherwise, you must use an internet texting app, such as WhatsApp.

Sorry , thought it was already pointed out that they must be hooked to Voom to do wifi calling. My point was that if both were hooked to Voom, as Bob pointed out, they could text and call each other as normal.

Yes, they would need a 2 device plan, as opposed to a single device plan.

As an employee of a large telecommunication company (who shall remain nameless), I will add my opinion (which is my own), to the list of those who said that purchasing a VOOM package and using WiFi calling is the best solution. Again, if you have an iPhone, iMessage and FaceTime audio and video work beautifully...

Incidentally, I will tell you that the wireless provider in question does offer an "International Day Pass" that gives you unlimited talk and text (and access to your domestic data plan) for $10 per day on days that the phone is used ON LAND (emphasis on that last part) - its a good compliment to a VOOM package, if a need should arise in an emergency situation.

I would change #4 to be:

4. Once on the ship, put the phone in Airplane Mode, turn on WiFi, login to Voom.

This way you ensure no charges from your cell carrier from Cellular at Sea.

I know carriers are different, I have T-Mobile and all I have to do is #4. Wifi calling is always on for my phone. I get calling, text and data with no other changes. Data roaming is only relevant if you are connecting to the wireless network, so if you are only using WiFi in Airplane mode, data roaming is not operating anyway.

Switch to T-Mobile. :D

Free text and unlimited data in 210+ countries, and 20 cents per minute calling. Also supports wifi calling.

2 caveats: 1) Data is only 2G speed unless you have their $10/month Plus service and 2) these services are great when you are in port but do not work on the ship at sea. You will need Voom with Wifi calling turned on while at sea.