Alaska Rail to/from Denali advice, please

Unibok

This question arose on OCSCMike's amazing trip report. Because it got rather buried in all of his awesomeness, I'd like to raise it again for wider input.

My DD and I are cruising in late May 2019 from Seward to Vancouver, with a DIY pre-cruise to Denali. Yes, I realize that late May isn't the optimal time for Denali (Eielson won't yet be open, for example), but we are very constrained by particular dates and we would like to make the most of what we have.

Our question is this: should we fly in to Fairbanks or Anchorage? Put another way, should our rail portion be north/south Fairbanks-Denali-Anchorage-Seward, or roundtrip Anchorage-Denali-Anchorage-Seward?

Option 1, Fairbanks-Denali-Anchorage-Seward. Pros include an additional 4 hours in Denali, and a shorter train ride that is both more scenic and less expensive. Cons include more flight time to get there, arriving very late from the east coast then catching an early train, and a higher overall cost due to higher-priced flights and hotels.

Option 2, Anchorage-Denali-Ancorage-Seward. Pros include less time in the air, a reasonable recovery time in Anchorage before catching the train, a somewhat lower overall cost. Cons include seeing the same long leg twice and missing out on other more scenic areas, arriving later in Denali (3:40 versus noon-ish), and two separate nights in Anchorage (although a hidden pro here is that we might be able to leave one piece of cruise-only luggage behind at our Anchorage hotel).

Right now I am tending toward Option 1 for the increased time in Denali and a chance to see different areas of the state. Alaskans and those with plenty of experience, which do you suggest?

With grateful thanks in advance for your help,

Thanks for the suggestion, Mapleleaves. We are really looking forward to the train ride, so right now we are only trying to figure out which of the two train options to take.

Taking the bus TO Denali still leaves you with an 8 hr train ride for the return trip to Anchorage.

The shuttle to Toklat isn't as ideal as Eielson but it's the beginning of the bear viewing area and still a very nice trip! I've done it twice; 1st when i didn't have reservations and 2nd when I didn't have time for a 2nd trip to Eielson. We were fortunate and saw bears both times.

Good luck with your decision !

Flight connections through Fairbanks kind of suck, especially compared to anchorage. That also translates to more expensive.

If cost isn’t a factor I’d go Fairbanks. If it is a factor do the math on both options. As it is, you’re essentially paying for time at the destination so all other things considered, do what gets you the most time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unibok: While I understand that you are looking forward to the train, the train between Anchorage and Fairbanks lumbers along. While scenery is subjective (i.e. what I might find interesting someone else might find rather boring) the scenery between Anchorage - Denali - Fairbanks isn't as interesting or attractive to most as the Anchorage to Seward route. Most folks find the Anchorage to Seward route very scenic. Have you considered renting a car for the Fairbanks to Anchorage or Anchorage to Denali travel?

I'm getting ready for a similar trip though kind of reversed. The flying time to Fairbanks shouldn't be much different than to Anchorage - maybe an hour longer unless you have an extended layover somewhere along the way. For your cruise tour I'd fly to Fairbanks. It's quite a bit closer to Denali than Anchorage. You should be able to take the train from Fairbanks to Denali - seeing a portion of Alaska you won't see again on the next train ride from Denali to Anchorage then Seward. I'm just using intuition - I haven't researched the particulars of flight and train schedules. And, honestly, I think I would be kinda miserable on a bus from Anchorage to Denali... What we are going to do is fly to Anchorage (several days there and Seward visiting friends) then train north - flying home from Fairbanks. Our flight from home to Anchorage is 10 minutes longer than the flight flight from Fairbanks back home including a layover in Seattle each way.

Maybe I'm biased b/c it's what we did (as you already know) but I vote for option #1.

I'd suffer through the cons* of air travel and early wake up in Fairbanks to spend more time in Denali as well as see a little of Fairbanks rather than do the Anchorage-Denali-Anchorage round trip train ride, have less time in Denali, and skip Fairbanks.

*I know I left out the financial aspect but that was intentional since I feel it's almost impossible to advise others on.

GL with your decision.

I'm getting ready for a similar trip though kind of reversed. The flying time to Fairbanks shouldn't be much different than to Anchorage - maybe an hour longer unless you have an extended layover somewhere along the way. For your cruise tour I'd fly to Fairbanks. It's quite a bit closer to Denali than Anchorage. You should be able to take the train from Fairbanks to Denali - seeing a portion of Alaska you won't see again on the next train ride from Denali to Anchorage then Seward. I'm just using intuition - I haven't researched the particulars of flight and train schedules. And, honestly, I think I would be kinda miserable on a bus from Anchorage to Denali... What we are going to do is fly to Anchorage (several days there and Seward visiting friends) then train north - flying home from Fairbanks. Our flight from home to Anchorage is 10 minutes longer than the flight flight from Fairbanks back home including a layover in Seattle each way.

You haven't been there? Not sure if you are posting from experience?

This question arose on OCSCMike's amazing trip report. Because it got rather buried in all of his awesomeness, I'd like to raise it again for wider input.

My DD and I are cruising in late May 2019 from Seward to Vancouver, with a DIY pre-cruise to Denali. Yes, I realize that late May isn't the optimal time for Denali (Eielson won't yet be open, for example), but we are very constrained by particular dates and we would like to make the most of what we have.

Our question is this: should we fly in to Fairbanks or Anchorage? Put another way, should our rail portion be north/south Fairbanks-Denali-Anchorage-Seward, or roundtrip Anchorage-Denali-Anchorage-Seward?

Option 1, Fairbanks-Denali-Anchorage-Seward. Pros include an additional 4 hours in Denali, and a shorter train ride that is both more scenic and less expensive. Cons include more flight time to get there, arriving very late from the east coast then catching an early train, and a higher overall cost due to higher-priced flights and hotels.

Option 2, Anchorage-Denali-Ancorage-Seward. Pros include less time in the air, a reasonable recovery time in Anchorage before catching the train, a somewhat lower overall cost. Cons include seeing the same long leg twice and missing out on other more scenic areas, arriving later in Denali (3:40 versus noon-ish), and two separate nights in Anchorage (although a hidden pro here is that we might be able to leave one piece of cruise-only luggage behind at our Anchorage hotel).

Right now I am tending toward Option 1 for the increased time in Denali and a chance to see different areas of the state. Alaskans and those with plenty of experience, which do you suggest?

With grateful thanks in advance for your help,

With using the Alaska RR, time is necessary, ideal is to have 3 nights at Denali. An issue with the Anchorage/Fairbanks, route, it just about parallels the Parks Highway, there is no scenic advantage with this transit. It could be a better choice, to do the train one way, as noted above with a bus, if round trip Anchorage.

With adding Fairbanks- are you adding time for touring? This is a 2 day stop in my opinion. Plenty to do with a rental car, or Arctic tour? If going to be there, take advantage, I'd suggest.

We just came back from a Vancouver-Seward cruise, and 3 days in Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, and flew out of Anchorage.

The train ride from Seward to Anchorage is scenic. From Anchorage we rented an SUV (Alaska 4x4 rental delivered to Anchorage train depot, plus we got 1-day discount with Toursaver coupon), and drove to Denali/Fairbanks and back.

We took one day driving Anchorage to Denali NP, we went to the Dog Kennel and saw Dogsledding demo, drove to the end of where car is allowed, and took a short trail. Then to Fairbanks that night. It didn't get dark, even at midnight at Fairbanks (July 17).

At Fairbanks it was convenient to have a car. We went to Morris Thompson Cultural Center, watched films, toured the cultural/history exhibits, felt furs, etc. Took pics at the Antler's arch. Then went to North Pole, mailed post cards from Santa Claus House. To U Alaska Fairbanks, Geophysics Institute for free onsight tour (really interesting). Drove to see the Alaska Pipeline (8 mil north of Fairbanks), then to the Carlson to see the Eskimo Olympics. We then toured Pioneer Park, took pics in front of an old steamship, then at the train museum, etc. That was during the day before we drove back to Anchorage (and stopped at several view points trying to see Mt. Denali and only really saw it once). Without driving ourselves, we couldn't have seen all these.

Last day at Anchorage, we toured downtown, saw more films at the Federal Building/visitor center. Then went to Earthquake Park, then the pound just north of the airport, had good views of the float planes arriving and taking off (it's the world's busiest floatplane airport). Did these before returning the car and flew out of Anchorage.

The train ride between Anchorage - Denali -Fairbanks would not be too scenic. I also took the train in the Canadian Rockies before, what a big mistake. After that experience (train in Rockies), we always drove in the Rockies, get to stop at many places, hike and see things at your own pace.

Although you have not asked and you have not said how many days you have to work with, my choice would be option 3 - rent a car instead of taking the train. Fly into Anchorage. Drive to Denali and spend as much time as you need in Denali. Drive back to Anchorage but do not was your time in Talkeetna on the way back. Spend a day or so in and around Anchorage. Then drive to Seward and spend maybe 2 days there.

A much better option than the train in either direction.

DON

Last August we did a land-only trip to Denali. We took the train both ways and really enjoyed it. We booked GoldStar both ways. It was just a wonderful trip.

We stayed two nights at the Grande Denali Lodge (what a gorgeous hotel) and at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek in Anchorage the nights before and after the train trips.

In Denali we did the green shuttle bus. We had a very informed and funny driver.

Alaska Railroad made the hotel reservations for us for Denali and Anchorage; we reserved the Denali shuttle ourselves.

Thank you, everyone, for weighing in. I am very surprised how many of you say that the scenic train isn't actually very scenic at all -- really, everyone here except OCSCMike and Cruise_More_Often. That certainly gives me pause. To answer some of your questions:

* due to the tight timing with DD's graduation, we are not able to add more time in Fairbanks

* we do have 3 nights in Denali

* we plan to do the shuttle rather than the tour bus in Denali

We really were looking forward to the train, and to having a car-free vacation. With all of the negative comments here, I will re-evaluate that as a goal.

Thanks again for sharing your perspective. More thoughts are always welcome.

Thank you, everyone, for weighing in. I am very surprised how many of you say that the scenic train isn't actually very scenic at all -- really, everyone here except OCSCMike and Cruise_More_Often. That certainly gives me pause. To answer some of your questions:

* due to the tight timing with DD's graduation, we are not able to add more time in Fairbanks

* we do have 3 nights in Denali

* we plan to do the shuttle rather than the tour bus in Denali

We really were looking forward to the train, and to having a car-free vacation. With all of the negative comments here, I will re-evaluate that as a goal.

Thanks again for sharing your perspective. More thoughts are always welcome.

If you have the time, a car is the only way to see AK. However, remember that it will take you longer to get from place to place than you think.

DON

Like everything else, enjoying the train is totally subjective. Some people LOVE it, others think it's boring. Maybe it depends on where you live and the scenery you're accustomed to ….

As BQ noted, the tracks parallel the hwy for most of the route between Fairbanks and Anchorage. Unless it's a clear day with great mountain views, I don't think the drive is THAT fantastic so I can't imagine being stuck on the train for 8 hrs. For the most part you're looking at trees, the occasional pond. At least with a car you can stop for wildlife sightings, scenery and other points of interest.

The Anc -Seward tracks parallel the road for half the trip but veer inland south of Girdwood where you get great glacier/mountain views. So it's the popular segment.

Have you looked at video on youtube? HOURS and HOURS of video of each train leg. Viewing them might help you with your decision.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=train+to+denali

If you have the time, a car is the only way to see AK. However, remember that it will take you longer to get from place to place than you think.

DON

I absolutely agree on it taking longer to drive somewhere than you might think. To me it's something peculiar to Alaska. From my experience and the way we do things (stops, speed, etc) I allot twice the amount of travel time in a car - if you think it's going to be a two hour drive allow four hours. Seriously.

There are pluses and minuses for both the train and car travel. And as Mapleleaves said, it completely subjective - what one person hates you may love. We loved driving on the Dalton Highway and thought it was awesome - some think it's completely boring and a waste of time. To each their own. Watching the video to see what you will encounter will give you a better idea if taking the train is something you'll enjoy.

Though it's absolutely NOT the same as Alaska, I've ridden the train from one end of Japan to the other multiple times plus some in Europe - I think it's nice to sit back and watch whatever there is to see - sometimes it's beautiful and other times it's not - it's all interesting to me. It's also nice to have plenty of room and the ability to walk around when you want too.

Good luck! Regardless of what you decide to do I will bet you have a fantastic time in Alaska! It's awesome!

If you are short on time, then you will see and do, significantly more with a car. Have you already determined all your activities, in each of these locations? Do they "fit " into the time you are looking at? For a better option, You might want to head to your library and get a copy of THE MILEPOST. Just read down the list of the Parks Highway, there are many interesting stops. You will simply miss all of them on the train.

This is just information. Depends on what you are looking for, and perhaps thinking about, how often are you going to get to Alaska? I have taken the train several times (only when they used to have the 2 for 1). It's a lot more challenging. with lodging and area transportation.

This year will be the second time in our Alaska trips that we have used princess lodges dot com to book the rail/hotel tour. There was a great internet only deal which includes rail both ways and 2 nights in Denali. We book the transit bus independently.

I did have a car reserved, which reminds me I need to cancel, until this internet special came up. While it is less time to drive and you have the ability to stop at points of interest, I really enjoy riding the train. It does have its downtime, which is nice for a nap. There are a lot of trees! I don't mind driving, but I really enjoy letting someone else "drive" us on the train. Plus I can eat and drink in comfort.

It's all about what you like. If you do think you might want to do the train, I'd look into princess lodges (you don't have to be booked on a princess cruise) as an option.

The train was a real highlight of our trip. We just got back last night. We were only supposed to ride once from talkeetna to Denali. We enjoyed that so much we upgraded on our cruise tour from bus from Denali to Whittier to the train. Loved every second of the train!!! I even enjoyed the train as much as my grand tour flight around Denali! We saw the whole Alaskan range on the way down to Whittier on the train. It was a very special day.

I thought the train was very scenic!!!! I have tons of pictures and videos from the train and spent lots of time on the platform enjoying the view and getting fresh air. The view is great from train also, the glass just interfered with my camera lens and I’m picky about my picturesx

I did not ride the Fairbanks to Denali section.

I thought my bus ride from anchorage to McKinley princess lodge was not very scenic at all.

I loved the train! A major highlight of our trip!

• 1 month later...

We have only been to Alaska 3 times with land tours and then southbound cruises (one with princess tour, one with holland tour and one with rental car). I agree with others that Alaska is much larger than people realize and it takes quite a while to get from point a to point b regardless to transportation mode. Also agree that the train route is the best between anchorage and Seward......train takes longer than bus tours so even if you want to avoid the driving you could do cruise line tour bus part of the way and then train from anchorage to Seward. We enjoyed our rental car trip because it went to areas the land tours do not go to but the driver doesn’t get to see as much as the others do so I agree with sometimes wanting to leave the transportation to someone else. We enjoyed Fairbanks but sometimes you just cant get it all in and have sufficient time to enjoy the trip......and while others have said it is not that much further to fly to Fairbanks over anchorage, it depends on what airports you are flying from because all routes we could find from southeast caused us to be much later getting to Fairbanks on all days than we could have gotten to anchorage.....enjoy your trip!!