BEST PORT DAY EVER: Our drive out the Seward Highway from Anchorage

elbodans

Hello all! You may remember me from all of the questions I posted before we did our 14 day Alaska sailing back in July. Or you may remember me from all of the video posts I've shared since. I'm here with another one--our day in Anchorage--but first I need to give a HUGE shout out to the other CC member here who in passing recommended we take the drive out Turnagain Arm from Anchorage.

We took that recommendation, and it was THE BEST PORT DAY EVER. Here's a blog post about what we did and a very not-professionally-done video of our day as well (it features a cameo by my husband's thumb, which was covering my iPhone lens for a moment). If you are sailing to AK and have a port day in Anchorage proper, I HIGHLY recommend renting a car and doing this drive on your own. You won't regret it!

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2018/08/31/alaska-cruise-ports-on-your-own-and-on-a-budget-anchorage/

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them.

Great video and great post. The Portage Glacier lake cruise is one of my favorites. And at Byron Glacier you can keep going beyond the end of the trail. We went another mile over the rocks and views got better and better. Here's our pictures: http://akstafford.blogspot.com/2017/08/byron-glacier-trail.html .

GAH! I didn't realize it would be safe (ish) to keep going! Blargh! Well, now we know for next time. But what you said in your post is totally true--even the first part of the hike was gorgeous, and it's super accessible for anyone with limited mobility. We've hiked a lot all over the US, and this was the best payoff for the least effort I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Thanks for your pics and your post. I promise I will walk farther next time! We hope to return to this area on a land trip sometime soon.

I have experienced this drive more than once including once in the Winter. It is an adventure that those who do not drive the highway and its connections miss. Such an experience amplifies one's Alaska experience.

Agreed that to not do this is to miss something epic. Though I'm not certain I'd want to do it in the winter. What was THAT like?!?

Agreed that to not do this is to miss something epic. Though I'm not certain I'd want to do it in the winter. What was THAT like?!?

The State maintains the highway pretty well with snow removal and sanding; it gets a lot of traffic in the winter, particularly to Girdwood for skiing at Alyeska. It's less fun at night, and the nights are very long. However more than once I've seen the aurora from one of the valleys above the highway, and that's quite special. It needs a very clear night for the lights of Anchorage not to prevent the view.

SewardHighway-01.jpg

PS If you want evidence of climate change, check out these pictures of Portage Lake from the late 1970s. The face of the glacier that you visited was a very short distance from the parking lot.

portageglaciersm.jpg

ICERABT2.jpg

Edited by Gardyloo

@Gardyloo: WOW! Wow on so many levels. First--that winter photo is AMAZING! I will never see anything like that in real life because I have an all consuming fear of driving in the snow. But WOW! Thank you for sharing!

And WOW to the difference in Portage Lake. That's kind of horrific actually. Thank you for sharing that.

Also: thanks again for recommending this drive. It was truly a highlight of our trip. THANK YOU!

@Gardyloo: WOW! Wow on so many levels. First--that winter photo is AMAZING! I will never see anything like that in real life because I have an all consuming fear of driving in the snow. But WOW! Thank you for sharing!

And WOW to the difference in Portage Lake. That's kind of horrific actually. Thank you for sharing that.

Also: thanks again for recommending this drive. It was truly a highlight of our trip. THANK YOU!

You seem to have developed a crush on Alaska, which is not surprising.

If you really want some fun and can free up a few days in the winter, head to Anchorage at the end of February for the annual Fur Rendezvous festival. "Rondy" is a blast, with sled dog races through the downtown area, a winter carnival, the "running of the reindeer" through downtown, lots of tournaments, music and fun all around town, the Miners and Trappers Ball, and culminates with the ceremonial beginning of the Iditarod race from downtown. Flights are cheap in the winter, the weather is usually okay (it's past the coldest and darkest part) and if you want a bona fide real "Alaska" experience, this is it. http://www.furrondy.net/

Maybe your cup of tea, maybe not, but here's a clip from a terrific movie done in the 1970s about George Attla, a Native from the Alaska interior, who became the world sled dog champion at a race during Rondy in the 50s. The races are still really fun to watch. (I'm also very fond of the song by Buffy Sainte Marie.)

Edited by Gardyloo

The drive was beautiful with the Winter scenery and it was COLD. We went to Whittier as part of our full day's journey and the town was VERY quiet. The roads were in better condition that they often are in my own State. We stopped at the Visitor's Center for Portage Glacier and the Ranger on duty was glad for some visitors. I am glad that I had the opportunity to do this.

You seem to have developed a crush on Alaska, which is not surprising.

If you really want some fun and can free up a few days in the winter, head to Anchorage at the end of February for the annual Fur Rendezvous festival. "Rondy" is a blast, with sled dog races through the downtown area, a winter carnival, the "running of the reindeer" through downtown, lots of tournaments, music and fun all around town, the Miners and Trappers Ball, and culminates with the ceremonial beginning of the Iditarod race from downtown. Flights are cheap in the winter, the weather is usually okay (it's past the coldest and darkest part) and if you want a bona fide real "Alaska" experience, this is it. http://www.furrondy.net/

Maybe your cup of tea, maybe not, but here's a clip from a terrific movie done in the 1970s about George Attla, a Native from the Alaska interior, who became the world sled dog champion at a race during Rondy in the 50s. The races are still really fun to watch. (I'm also very fond of the song by Buffy Sainte Marie.)

The drive was beautiful with the Winter scenery and it was COLD. We went to Whittier as part of our full day's journey and the town was VERY quiet. The roads were in better condition that they often are in my own State. We stopped at the Visitor's Center for Portage Glacier and the Ranger on duty was glad for some visitors. I am glad that I had the opportunity to do this.

well gee. it seems you've both convinced me to visit Anchorage in the wintertime. that's some serious persuasion you have going on there.

but the dog sled races? yes. and the running of the reindeer? YES. and reasonable flights? i'm in.

i can also imagine the tranquility.

sigh. i'll report back in mid-march upon my return.

Thanks for sharing. This is my plan for my next trip to Anchorage (hopefully in 2019).

Last time we headed north. Our goal was Matanuska Glacier. We rented a car at Enterprise then headed north. Our first stop was the Iditarod headquarters in Wasilla. Then we headed towards the Glacier. The views on the entire drive were marvelous. We were in Anchorage on 8/31 and in the mountains there was some color on the trees. You can drive almost up to the glacier. And from there you can walk as far as you are willing. Like you, our itinerary for the day included more than we did, but we enjoyed this day immensely.

Again - thanks for sharing your day.

Thanks for sharing. This is my plan for my next trip to Anchorage (hopefully in 2019).

Last time we headed north. Our goal was Matanuska Glacier. We rented a car at Enterprise then headed north. Our first stop was the Iditarod headquarters in Wasilla. Then we headed towards the Glacier. The views on the entire drive were marvelous. We were in Anchorage on 8/31 and in the mountains there was some color on the trees. You can drive almost up to the glacier. And from there you can walk as far as you are willing. Like you, our itinerary for the day included more than we did, but we enjoyed this day immensely.

Again - thanks for sharing your day.

That was our other choice for the day! And that's why we clearly need to just fly into Anchorage and spend some time there. Next time!

Completely agree to do this roadtrip. We did it the day before our embarkation in Whittier in July. Car rental was only $45 in downtown Anchorage. There are many good idea on where to stop on Alaska.org. A gorgeous day trip

Completely agree to do this roadtrip. We did it the day before our embarkation in Whittier in July. Car rental was only $45 in downtown Anchorage. There are many good idea on where to stop on Alaska.org. A gorgeous day trip

WOW! what a phenomenal deal on a rental car!!! nice!