Snowboarding excursion

barbiecruiser27

I have not seen any specific excursions for skiing / snowboarding, but there are ski resorts offering snowboarding in Alaska and the Vancouver and Seattle areas. You could go to these before or after the cruise. You would probably need to go in May or possibly late September to have the best chance at the resorts being open. Here is a link to ski resorts in Alaska:

https://www.onthesnow.com/alaska/reviews.html

As general life advice, if he will only do something you are interested in, like a cruise to Alaska, as long as he gets to do what he wants to do, it may be time to take a look at the relationship. Speaking from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since snowboarding is a winter thing and Alaska cruises are a summer thing, it's going to be hard to get them to overlap. You best bet is to book a cruise in May (which means some things will not be open/available that early in the summer) and hope there's still enough snow at Alyeska Resort that the upper mountain is still open. Book a one way cruise from Seward or Whittier to Vancouver and fly to Anchorage the week before.

https://www.alyeskaresort.com/mountain/about-ski-season-schedule

Concur - book an early season cruise out of Vancouver. While a pre-cruise trip up to Whistler would maximize the chance of good snow, you can take public transit buses to Grouse Mountain - where it's common for the slopes to still be open in May. Ski season has occasionally gone as late as Canada Day (July 1st) in the past! Cypress Mountain - the Olympic 2010 venue for snowboarding and freestyle Skiing - doesn't have transit buses, but there's a private shuttle for <$25pp round trip. They're lower down, so tend to close in April rather than May, but if he's a keen snowboarder he may want to visit anyway to see where the Olympic events happened.

If you're not a snowsports afficionado yourself, while he's off to Grouse you could go swimming, sailing, kayaking, paddleboarding etc. or just lie on the beach (daytime temps in May consistently hit 70F or more). There are a few other spots with mountains and oceans close enough to combine these disparate activities - but nowhere else has convenient public transit connecting them...

Of course, you could always take separate vacations - go cruising AK whenever works best for you, with a friend to avoid paying hefty Single Supplements, and let him go snowboarding by himself if that ain't your bag.

I have not seen any specific excursions for skiing / snowboarding, but there are ski resorts offering snowboarding in Alaska and the Vancouver and Seattle areas. You could go to these before or after the cruise. You would probably need to go in May or possibly late September to have the best chance at the resorts being open. Here is a link to ski resorts in Alaska:

https://www.onthesnow.com/alaska/reviews.html

As general life advice, if he will only do something you are interested in, like a cruise to Alaska, as long as he gets to do what he wants to do, it may be time to take a look at the relationship. Speaking from experience.

I think you took my post the wrong way. I love cruising and he loves snow boarding so we are trying to kill two birds with one stone for financial savings... thanks but no thanks for “life advice” kind of rude when the situation isn’t one you’re fully informed of..

I think you took my post the wrong way. I love cruising and he loves snow boarding so we are trying to kill two birds with one stone for financial savings... thanks but no thanks for “life advice” kind of rude when the situation isn’t one you’re fully informed of..

Both can be done, it’s just not the optimal time of year. Enjoy.