Voom questions/streaming etc.

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

My other half and I always get the Voom and Streaming, but my sister/brother in law are going on the same cruise with us and they asked me what is the difference?

Question, if they get the standard Voom:

1- Does it work just as fast searching on the web as the streaming Does?

2- Does the standard voom package allow you to texting and phone calls?

3- What additional services do you get with having both Voom & Streaming?

They are not going to watch movies and such but they will only use and receive calls, emails and texts, what is your advice for them to get? Thank you.

Anybody know if regular voom package includes calls, emails and texts?

Yes, we have gotten the regular and done all those. Plus, FaceTime and uploaded videos and photos. However, don't try to upload or text more than a couple of photos or one video at a time as it mostly locked up on me if I did that.

Anybody know if regular voom package includes calls, emails and texts?

Those are not "included" in the wifi package.

Surf does support wifi calling.

Video type things may be chippy due to the lower data speeds. But voice is fine over the Surf wifi connection.

1- Does it work just as fast searching on the web as the streaming Does?

2- Does the standard voom package allow you to texting and phone calls?

3- What additional services do you get with having both Voom & Streaming?

Most of the time, yes.

Yes.

Stream allows for better video streaming and any other functionality which needs lots of data.

Those are not "included" in the wifi package.

Surf does support wifi calling.

Video type things may be chippy due to the lower data speeds. But voice is fine over the Surf wifi connection.

I disagree, we have done all the things OP asked about using the base WiFi package. I was able to text, talk, Email, send photos via text and Emails, and Facetime.

As I said, those are not "included" in the wifi.

With wifi, and a compatible phone, calling and texted are available via wifi calling. It has nothing to do with the wifi package.

Facetime, and other video chat programs, can work, but the video, as any video, with Surf MAY be choppy. It may not be, and can change from hour to hour. It also depends on which app is being used, as they differ in the bandwidth required.

Thank you, Surf is alot cheaper on our cruise.

I don’t think you can only get the surf package online before the cruise. Only the surf and stream package is on the cruise planner and can vary in price. My wife and I got the two device surf and stream package for about $112 for seven nights. That is cheaper than only getting the surf package on board I think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m almost embarrassed to ask this, but I’ve read all the threads on this subject and still don’t understand. What do I need just to text someone onboard?

The reason it's hard to understand is that it's complicated.

What ship? What phones do you have? How many texts per day? Will you be buying VOOM anyhow, or only because of texting? Do you need to text people who are off the ship?

Liberty

iPhone

Probably less than 10

I’d rather not get Voom - don’t need to email, or call or stream. Just want to text friends onboard but people back home would be good.

If you can remember to not answer/make any calls, turn off data roaming, simply use you cell phone as usual on the ship and text people. It will probably cost you 50 cent per text.

Liberty

iPhone

Probably less than 10

I’d rather not get Voom - don’t need to email, or call or stream. Just want to text friends onboard but people back home would be good.

If you can be sure you will not be receiving any voice calls, I'd pay by the text. However, if you receive voice calls that ring your phone and go to voicemail, those will cost you $2.49 each. In this case, it is better to make those calls go to voicemail automatically (call forwarding), without ringing your phone. This will avoid the $2.49 charge per incoming call that you don't answer.

As I said, those are not "included" in the wifi.

With wifi, and a compatible phone, calling and texted are available via wifi calling. It has nothing to do with the wifi package.

Facetime, and other video chat programs, can work, but the video, as any video, with Surf MAY be choppy. It may not be, and can change from hour to hour.

What's not included? As I read your post, calling, text work and FT "can work". Emailing and checking the internet have always worked for us. So I am at a loss as to what you think doesn't work with the basic WiFi? Yes, it is slow and trying to upload or text photos and videos is problematic; but it will work. I have done it many times. OP wasn't interested in streaming movies or videos, just normal WiFi stuff like we do at home, which has worked for me.

OK, now I understand what you were getting at. I agree Royal never "gives" you anything. You are correct Royal only supplies the WiFi signal all the other features are on you or your phone. If at home your phone supports WiFi calling, text, Email, Facetime or teleportation then you will be able to do it (slower) using Royal's WiFi.

We're only interested in using our laptops - checking emails from work and home, and a bit of internet surfing. What's our best option for this? Thanks, all !

Surf only would be adequate service.

Knowing what would be most economical would depend on number of days you want service, how many simultaneous devices, C&A level, prices in your Cruise Planner right now.

Thanks, Bob. I understand that prices are per day and per device so your questions make sense. We're Gold level with Royal. Current price in planner right now is $11.99 for "Vroom Surf & Stream package - 1 device". When you purchase, do you purchase by number of days? Hubby would have his laptop and I would have mine, so it sounds like we'd both have to purchase. Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks again!