3 or 4 occupancy rooms open up for 2 people?

wgeo

Trying to book a room for my parents but it's a 3 person occupancy. Royal said we could wait and see if they open up the rooms and let 2 people book them. Does that really happen? Is it something that only happens very close to sale date?

This is for an Alaskan cruise next June, so we have time, but we don't want to wait around if it's never actually going to happen. There are a couple of 2 person interior rooms on the ship left but only on Deck 2 and 3 which my parents won't book since we're on Deck 8. Anyone have experience with this? thx

Book it for three, wait until last week to cancel third person without penalty and get a refund.

I thought about that - but read on here about Royal changing people to a different room when their occupancy changed and we don't want to chance that.

Also - isn't there a penalty for canceling a person?

If you wait you risk not getting a cabin.

Yes, that is very much my concern, so I asked here to see if anyone had experience with them opening up the booking. I'd like to book and be done but there are no rooms in any category at all for 2 person occupancy anywhere remotely close to my current booked room/floor.

Have you checked with any TAs to see if they may have some doubles available?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I checked with Costco and then through Royal themselves, is it possible for other TA's to be holding rooms? I'd gladly book with one of them if I could figure out who might have a room available.

Decks are only an elevator ride away. Do you HAVE to be that close by? I'd book the 2 person cabin, and get on a waitlist for something on your deck.

Believe me I've tried to convince them - but they refuse to book on 3 when I'm on 8. They've never cruised before and are elderly. I could probably get them into something up or down 1 floor but I can't find anything. (Also my mother has an irrational fear that deck 3 means she's in the "bowels" of the ship - nothing I've said has changed her mind.)

I'm stuck between Royal's room occupancy and my parent's inflexibility.

is it possible for other TA's to be holding rooms? I'd gladly book with one of them if I could figure out who might have a room available.

I think it is possible that a TA has group space blocked off with some doubles. I’m not allowed to point you to a site or a specific TA. But I can tell you that at least three times I’ve obtained quotes from a website that allows you to enter the cruise you’re looking at and get responses back from a TA, and a TA had options available that were not open elsewhere. It is at least worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Book it for three, wait until last week to cancel third person without penalty and get a refund.

With a refundable deposit you must cancel before 14 days from sailing (not in final penalty period) to get a full refund.

Non refundable deposits follow regular cancellation penalties of guests 1 and 2.

Is your sailing eligible for the kids sail free promotion? Could u add a "child" to your cabin for free and then have said child be a no show at sailing? Doubt they would change your cabin at that point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

This is probably the easiest as long as the KSF is available.

Foiled...KSF not available for summer sailings.

I'm stuck between Royal's room occupancy and my parent's inflexibility.

Then, maybe, this sailing is not meant to be for them.

Yes, you can take a chance that the occupancy restriction will be lifted, but prices could go up and the restriction never lift.

I find that oddd. I've booked a cabin solo and was given a cabin with 2 pullman beds. Hopefully a TA can help you out.

They change the restrictions and how they enforce them from time-to-time. I just had a corner aft balcony on deck 10 in March. I wanted to book that same cabin for another cruise and was told I cannot. With the ships sailing fuller all the time, they are trying to maximize occupancy.

I wanted to upgrade myself from an oceanview to a balcony yesterday. Called my big box travel agent and she gets on the phone with RCI, gets the price, and I agree and say book it. A few minutes later she come back on the phone and says they won't book it because we are a party of 2 and the cabin holds 4. This is the exact same cabin that RCI were willing to sell me on my mock booking on THEIR website. Agent asks me if I am willing to have her end the call with RCI, and try again with a different agent. I say sure, and five minutes later my balcony cabin is booked without problems. This is for a cruise past final payment, and only 45 days away. Very strange company that wants to turn down money from a loyal customer.

I wanted to upgrade myself from an oceanview to a balcony yesterday. Called my big box travel agent and she gets on the phone with RCI, gets the price, and I agree and say book it. A few minutes later she come back on the phone and says they won't book it because we are a party of 2 and the cabin holds 4. This is the exact same cabin that RCI were willing to sell me on my mock booking on THEIR website. Agent asks me if I am willing to have her end the call with RCI, and try again with a different agent. I say sure, and five minutes later my balcony cabin is booked without problems. This is for a cruise past final payment, and only 45 days away. Very strange company that wants to turn down money from a loyal customer.

Not really, Royal ships sail average of above 105% and like to sail above 100% on every sailing. At times even sailing Solo couldn't book unless paid for 2 passengers, this even few weeks from sailing. Nothing new, current this week for Oct sailing and in years past. Also a Loyal 30+ yr Royal cruiser...

Trying to book a room for my parents but it's a 3 person occupancy. Royal said we could wait and see if they open up the rooms and let 2 people book them. Does that really happen? Is it something that only happens very close to sale date?

This is for an Alaskan cruise next June, so we have time, but we don't want to wait around if it's never actually going to happen. There are a couple of 2 person interior rooms on the ship left but only on Deck 2 and 3 which my parents won't book since we're on Deck 8. Anyone have experience with this? thx

The website is allowing me to book a balcony for two.

I can't get an interior or an oceanview, but if you and your parents really want this, you should book a balcony for them.