Hair Color -1st time cruiser

cruiser415

Do you stain your shower at home? That's the first I've heard of such a thing, unless you're using Kool-aid or something like that! What are you using???

Don't worry about it....they can clean the shower!

I've never had color "bleed"....it fades...and washes out after several weeks (semi-permanent), but I've never even had color on my towel after washing my hair!

Do you stain your shower at home? That's the first I've heard of such a thing, unless you're using Kool-aid or something like that! What are you using???

Don't worry about it....they can clean the shower!

I've never had color "bleed"....it fades...and washes out after several weeks (semi-permanent), but I've never even had color on my towel after washing my hair!

It can be a problem with some colors - largely the reds. When I dye red I make sure to do it a couple weeks before a cruise (since it bleeds worse the first few days to a week after.) I wouldn't worry about the shower. If you notice any when you are done simply splash it away.

If I dye real close to a trip I will throw an old towel in my bag for after shower and sometimes an old beach towel for beach days because it makes me feel a bit better. You could do that if you are more comfortable?

Usually the 1st or 2nd wash after the color, I might find a tiny bit of red/pink on a white towel after rubbing my head off. I discovered this while in a hotel on vacation since I never use white towels at home. :) I'm sure it came out and wasn't an issue.

Thanks all!

I use Pravana. It does bleed for about the first week or so, but that's when it looks the best.

I won't worry about it too much then and I will bring an extra towel for my hair. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I use a dark brown, only time there is visible run-off of color is when I'm shampooing the dye out of my hair. The cruise I'm going on next fall is so long, I was thinking I'd have to have my hair dyed on board. That or once I got to Japan. But then I thought - I don't want to pay those kinds of prices for a dye job I have no idea how it will turn out. I'm just packing my hair dye & will dye it myself on board toward the end of my cruise. I don't think it will stain the shower - didn't think about the towels though. Hmmm. Maybe use one of the dark beach towels they leave in the cabin?

I've been coloring my hair a reddish tone (dark auburn, to be precise) for about 20 years. I've used a variety of products, including professional dye from Sally's, and have yet to find the magic formula that doesn't bleed, fade, or turn brassy.

Sulfate-free Shampoo/Conditioner for color treated hair gets good reviews for preventing these issues. LOreal makes a good one. Also, washing/rinsing with cool water seals in the color. And, another tip is to avoid washing hair for 2-3 days after dyeing it, so the color "soaks in".

Edited by DonnaK

Why not just go to a good salon and get permanent color put in so you don't need to worry about it?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Professional, permanent hair coloring in reddish tones bleeds and fades too. It's just a very hard tone to maintain, even with the highest quality, and salon-applied applications.

Professional, permanent hair coloring in reddish tones bleeds and fades too. It's just a very hard tone to maintain, even with the highest quality, and salon-applied applications.

I agree. I've been coloring red for over 20 years now. Professional or at home, both rub of on white towels the first wash or two and both can fade pretty fast. Sulfate free shampoos extend the life tremendously.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I disagree. I wore auburn for years and never had a bleeding problem after the first wash, and the color lasted for 4-5 weeks.

Edited by ducklite

I disagree. I wore auburn for years and never had a bleeding problem after the first wash, and the color lasted for 4-5 weeks.

My red lasts 8 weeks with good shampoos and conditioners. I only notice the slight color rub off on white towels. It's pretty minor (very light pink but noticeable). I only use white in hotels so it's not an issue at home. :)

My red lasts 8 weeks with good shampoos and conditioners. I only notice the slight color rub off on white towels. It's pretty minor (very light pink but noticeable). I only use white in hotels so it's not an issue at home. :)

I wear my hair short and it grows like weeds (typically an inch or more a month), so it might well have listed longer, but I get a cut and color every 4-5 weeks, so I don't really know. My towels have always been white or cream, so I would know if it's as bleeding.

I wear my hair short and it grows like weeds (typically an inch or more a month), so it might well have listed longer, but I get a cut and color every 4-5 weeks, so I don't really know. My towels have always been white or cream, so I would know if it's as bleeding.

That could also make a difference with the bleeding color. The longer the hair the more likely a color deposit might have been missed during rinsing. I always had shoulder length or longer hair.

Then you are very lucky.

Perhaps I have different results because my hair is below my shoulders, and because I am nearly 100% gray. But, my color barely lasts 2 weeks before fading and oxidizing.

I wear a color that is brown with significant auburn in it--a dark red-brown. I've been doing my own for several years and find that it actually fades less than the salon job.

I have never noticed bleed or color on my towels, and the color seems to stay very true, with some fading if I am outside a lot--but none of the brassy tone it used to get.

I use the Ion brand of color and shampoo that is color protectant and a good conditioner.

The reason I might not notice much fade, now that I'm dyeing my own hair, is that I do root touch-ups much more often--usually ever 3 weeks or so. I don't dye my whole head of hair that often, but do 'pull through' some color every time.

Since my roots have gotten very white, I like the convenience of doing my own 'stripe' whenever it gets noticeable without the expense of a salon visit.

I use a dark brown, only time there is visible run-off of color is when I'm shampooing the dye out of my hair. The cruise I'm going on next fall is so long, I was thinking I'd have to have my hair dyed on board. That or once I got to Japan. But then I thought - I don't want to pay those kinds of prices for a dye job I have no idea how it will turn out. I'm just packing my hair dye & will dye it myself on board toward the end of my cruise. I don't think it will stain the shower - didn't think about the towels though. Hmmm. Maybe use one of the dark beach towels they leave in the cabin?

Celebrity beach towels are pastel yellow. You really should bring your own towel if you are going to use dye on board. :eek:

My hair is extremely thick & curly and is below my shoulders. I started having it colored in a salon ten years ago when I was 50. I've never had a problem with color bleeding. And it lasts about eight weeks. Dark brown with reddish highlights.

Edited by Lady Chew

My hair is extremely thick & curly and is below my shoulders. I started having it colored in a salon ten years ago when I was 50. I've never had a problem with color bleeding. And it lasts about eight weeks. Dark brown with reddish highlights.

I haven't noticed any permanent color transfer to towels. I use my darker towels as a rule, but the times I've used a white wash cloth to scrub off color from my hair line - no staining resulted. Any color to the washcloth came off with one wash. I would think they use bleach on their towels, having to wash & sanitize for so many. Have never seen color go on to a bath towel from drying my hair after I shampooed.

• 4 years later...

Try rinsing it. A lot. If that still isn't working, try putting conditioner on the wig and combing it through. Use only a little and don't rinse it out. If that still doesn't work (and let's face it, you've probably tried that already), you might think of something to put on top of it.

I have absolutely no basis in trying this myself so please test it first. It worked for a friend but that's all I know. Try using a silicone spray (available at a hardware store) over the sharpie dye https://womentake.com/best-red-hair-dye/ I can also suggest Testor's Dullcote (available at hobby stores). The Dullcote will have a smell to it and is toxic to work with, so follow directions. However it is excellent at making sure paint doesn't come off of stuff. You have to make sure to get every strand of the wig without dousing it...which is tricky business.

If none of the options are viable, wear a wig cap, don't wear white, and keep some rubbing alcohol handy to wipe things off with!