Dry Shampoo Users?

Love my Batiste dry shampoo, but if I go swimming and snorkeling I need to wash out the salt water. If you spend the day in port sightseeing or shopping, a dry shampoo will do. I always bring a travel size can with me. Enjoy your cruise!

I've always wondered if it actually works. Does it build up or cake on your scalp? Does it make it look like you have dandruff?

No it's just like hairspray, only not sticky, with like fine powder that you brush into your hair and it soaks up oil. Never had flakes or dandruff being an issue. You're spraying it on your roots but I guess if you sprayed way too much it could cake up. I typically use it every other shower to get an extra day of a hairstyle with out having to wash my hair since it is long.

Batiste all the way, never travel without a can but then again I don't swim so use it between washes and gives extra body, no flaking but it's just fine talc in a spray form, if used to much it does build up on your scalp.

I take Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Dry Shampoo with me for those times that I don't want to shower until it's time for dinner and I've been swimming in the Caribbean and I want to hang out before dinner. It does the job, especially since I have oily hair.

No it's just like hairspray, only not sticky, with like fine powder that you brush into your hair and it soaks up oil. Never had flakes or dandruff being an issue. You're spraying it on your roots but I guess if you sprayed way too much it could cake up. I typically use it every other shower to get an extra day of a hairstyle with out having to wash my hair since it is long.

Thank you! That's what I would be using it for too since my hair comes down to my butt :D Always been afraid that it would look terrible just because of how it's applied. I will have to try some out sometime.

I use my Batiste on cruises same as I do at home. Why would it be different in the Caribbean?

Curious how the heat and humidity would affect hair after using dry shampoo. I live in a state that can get hot but fairly dry so was wondering if a sweaty head from humid weather would just be pointless to use it.

Thank you! That's what I would be using it for too since my hair comes down to my butt :D Always been afraid that it would look terrible just because of how it's applied. I will have to try some out sometime.

My hair just gets oily at the roots, so I only apply dry shampoo there. You brush starting at the roots and can style it if you need to but typically when I use it I straightened my hair the day prior so it keeps pretty well so all my hair needs is a good brushing. There are lots of different brands at Walgreens in the $5-$12 range and some more expensive ones you can find in salons (usually $20+).

I forget the brand but Ulta now carries it. I use it on business casual trips. These are 3-4 day gigs with ungodly early wake up calls. It comes in the same basic shades as hair: blond, brown, black, red and gray. I have very dark brown hair that now has a few greys here and there that I get colored every few months. This one you lightly spray a bit near the scalp as you hold locks up or away. Let dry completely (like 3 minutes) and then brush lightly and style. It adds nice lift. Only down side is you'll want to drape a towel over your shoulders for the fine mist that goes past any hair. Very water soluble so no wrecked towels. It does not smudge once dry. A friend said they now have a clear not white formula so I may try that when this can runs out. It is not a substitute for getting a root touch up.

I forget the brand but Ulta now carries it. I use it on business casual trips. These are 3-4 day gigs with ungodly early wake up calls. It comes in the same basic shades as hair: blond, brown, black, red and gray. I have very dark brown hair that now has a few greys here and there that I get colored every few months. This one you lightly spray a bit near the scalp as you hold locks up or away. Let dry completely (like 3 minutes) and then brush lightly and style. It adds nice lift. Only down side is you'll want to drape a towel over your shoulders for the fine mist that goes past any hair. Very water soluble so no wrecked towels. It does not smudge once dry. A friend said they now have a clear not white formula so I may try that when this can runs out. It is not a substitute for getting a root touch up.

Do you know how much per bottle, just curious?

I use Schwarzkopf's OSIS+ Refresh Dust. My stylist's favorite dry shampoo. She buys it for me at her cost (she does this for all products we use). It leaves no "dandruff" and brushes out well. I use it to get one more day out of my hair without having to shampoo (like those days I have to get up at 4:30am for work after a shift that ended at midnight). I can see it on Ulta's website, but I don't know if they have it in-store.

Do you know how much per bottle, just curious?

Sorry It is Sephora not Ulta where I got it last. If you read the reviews people either love it or hate it. Seems some do use it to stretch out coloring jobs. I have long brown hair and place an old towel over my shoulders before using. It is showing at $3 but I am positive I paid much less.

http://www.sephora.com/a-tint-of-brown-hair-powder-P280526?skuId=1270388&icid2=products grid280526

Edited by NorthernLite

I have thin hair and a scalp that tends to be oily. I thought dry shampoo would be a godsend for me, but in Florida's humidity it just tends to gunk up in my roots. I can get away with it for one day, but absolutely cannot go two days with it.

I suspect much of the success with this product has to do with the thickness and texture of one's hair.

Just another vote for Batiste. Amika is also great. I have a lot of thin hair, which is a nightmare for product. I find that the cheaper drugstore brands of dry shampoo (Tresemme, Pantene, etc.) build up MORE. In my book, Batiste is the best bang for your buck, but Amika is a luxurious, slightly spendier option.

I use Moroccan oil dry shampoo or Batiste regularly as I have waist length thick hair that I can't always wash when I am travelling. However I was in Big Lots last weekend and they had these travel size cans at 0.75 cents, it was 20% off day so 0.60 cents so grabbed a few can't remember the make, nothing special but handy to throw in the bag, I would imagine they would still have them.

I use Batiste (for blonde hair since I have mostly blonde highlights). My hair isn't that thin perse but I don't have a huge amount so sleeping on it flattens it out a lot. At home, at least twice a week I'll use the Batiste and skip a washing since I normally have to wash everyday. I love it. It's the best I've ever used and because it's made for blonde hair, it doesn't show the powder on my clothes or hair. I'm taking a can on our upcoming cruise, but generally I wash my hair before dinner everyday and just go with however it looks in the morning since we're usually outside all day anyway. It doesn't gunk up at all.

• 2 years later...

I've had good experiences with two purple toners - one by manic panic, I think it's called virgin snow, and one by guhl, to get rid of those kinds of tones (my hair is lighter than yours though). They're very similar products; this is what the guhl looks like over here, maybe you can get it in the UK, too - it's sold in run-of-the-mill drugstores over here, where the deep treatments are.They're more like a deep treatment than a conditioner, if that makes sense - the effects last longer, you don't have to reapply every time you wash. That means you can also just apply them to the areas where you want the toner to go. The coloring stuff in them is the same as what is used in the purple/blue shampoos and conditioners, but there's a bit more of it, the color is a little stronger, and it lasts longer.For me, I only had to use them a few times, then the color just stuck. That often happens with highlighted hair, if it's just been damaged enough but not too much, there's some room in the hair's structure for those kinds of color molecules to get stuck. I hope that makes sense.In any case, I'd use something like that, because you can just put it where you need it and don't need to worry about it affecting your overall color like you do with shampoo and conditioner. I don't think that blue/purple shampoo/conditioner https://womentake.com/best-purple-shampoo/ would do a lot to your overall color, it would probably show up at most in the sunshine as a subtle cast of some sort, but you know, just in case. When I used blue shampoos I did feel they made my whites look too gray over time (I try to pass off my whites as blond highlights - not sure that that works but I didn't like the gray cast the blue shampoo gave to them). But I don't know if you have grays.ETA: If you can't find those toners, you can also just mix some blue/purple deposit-only dye (manic panic, stargazer etc) with a lot of deep treatment - that does the same thing. Blue has a stronger effect than purple, so you need to use less of it/mix more deep treatment in or you end up with blue/green tones (which is way worse than a bit of brass - way, way worse). Maybe start with something like a 1:20 or 1:30 ratio? I've done it and it worked, but I don't remember the ratio I used. I do remember that you need to dilute the heck out of the pure rainbow deposit-only colors to use them this way, they have a lot of pigment.