Cruise "style"

Our last few cruises (NCL) I have made it my mission to literally shop from the time we booked the cruise until the cruise itself. I had to have the "perfect" outfits - capri pants and cute tanks for day. Bathing suits, all different styles. Cover ups. Sundresses for daytime. And maxi dresses or fancier for night. The shoes. The accessories to go WITH all of these outfits. The shopping was about as much fun as the cruise.

Fast forward to today and I probably have 2 storage bins full of my "cruise wardrobe", much of which isn't fitting me as it used to (I have a nearly 2 year old and "haven't lost the baby weight". Lol.) Even if it did fit right though, most of it is what I would call "cruise wear" (white capris/white linen pants/ flowy blouses/ the dresses) and most of it just doesn't work for my very casual SAHM mom lifestyle. Truth be told, even before the baby, I didn't wear most of it unless I was on a cruise.

So I guess I'm curious if you all have a set "cruise wardrobe" per se... or if you just incorporate your everyday clothes into your cruise packing? (Weather appropriate of course)...

I used to hate how my legs look in shorts and I don't think I wore a pair of shorts more than MAYBE twice on our previous cruises. Lately though I've been wearing them a lot and envision simple daytime outfits of shorts and tanks on our next cruise. I never look "sloppy", I like to always look nice whatever I wear... and I know it sounds silly but part of me is wondering if that's "ok" or if I should step it up a bit. (Yes I tend to care a bit too much what others think!)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I wear whatever I wear at home for the same type of weather. There is little need for something you'll only wear on a cruise. You do NOT need to "step it up"....I'm sure you're perfectly fine. This isn't the Queen Mary in 1920 or anything!

My daytime wear is swimwear or shorts...that's onboard or ashore.

Nighttime is capris, or sundress, skirt, etc....casual, but nice. If we do "formal" wear, we gussy-up a bit...but nowadays, with the airline restrictions, we just dress as we would for a nice restaurant on land.

No separate cruise wardrobe for me. I lead a pretty casual life, but do dress up a bit for girls' night out, date nights with my BF or other special occasions. What I wear for cruise evenings is pretty much the same as for these events here in the south.... white pants, dressy jeans, or slim black pants with cute halter tops, or maxi dresses. Casual daytime here is the same as daytime at home...shorts with cute tees or sleeveless tops or occasionally casual sundresses.

My cruise/vacation clothes are my normal clothes.

I only buy solid color, classic style items in cotton, linen, silk. I accessorize with scarves, shoes, jewelry.

But that's just me---it is my coping mechanism for HATING shopping!

I buy the very best quality in simple styles and know that I can wear it for years which suits my laziness.

I suppose the exception is that I don't wear my bathing suits and cover ups much around home---they are mostly for vacation. Which is a little silly since we actually have a pool! I should wear them more often at home.

And I have a pair of comfortable D'orsay flats that I use on vacation for long walking days. I don't wear them at home because they have rubbery soles and I think they look cheap. At home I wear a pair with leather soles.

But you should wear what makes YOU happy on vacation! Maybe for you the clothes are a big part of the fun of your cruise---something special.

I only buy solid color, classic style items in cotton, linen, silk. I accessorize with scarves, shoes, jewelry.

I buy the very best quality in simple styles and know that I can wear it for years which suits my laziness.

I suppose the exception is that I don't wear my bathing suits and cover ups much around home---they are mostly for vacation. Which is a little silly since we actually have a pool! I should wear them more often at home.

And I have a pair of comfortable D'orsay flats that I use on vacation for long walking days. I don't wear them at home because they have rubbery soles and I think they look cheap. At home I wear a pair with leather soles.

But you should wear what makes YOU happy on vacation! Maybe for you the clothes are a big part of the fun of your cruise---something special.

Ditto! Couldn't have said it better...

Yes fun to a certain extent... but wasteful and frivolous too, I suppose.

Ahh well I can devote my time and shopping efforts to making sure the little one looks cute anyway. Lol. Which is pretty much the way it is every day :)

I am a SAHM too. Typically, I like to wear fancy clothes on "formal" nights (just my personal preference; not starting a fight) and clothes I'd wear to a nice restaurant the rest of the evenings. The rest of my daytime clothes vary according to itinerary. My last cruise was Alaska, for instance, and my next is the Bahamas, so very different clothes. I would say that I do "step it up" a bit during the day--you know, actually putting on earrings and a necklace and lip gloss. LOL. I know that's not stepping it up for a lot of people, but since most of my days are yoga pants and tees, it is for me. All that being said, just make yourself happy. Ultimately you are the only one who will care about how you look.

I don't/do have special cruise clothes. I find that I take clothes on a cruise that are in my closet that I don't wear as often. I get dressed up a little more on a cruise. But I do bring my better clothes on a cruise, one that I don't wear all the time.

Our cruises tend to be cold weather cruises, so I do have a box of things packed away that are only used for travel: wool pea coats for both DH & I, cashmere scarves for both of us (I will wear mine in the winter at home occasionally) hats & gloves. A couple of cashmere v necks for DH as well. We live in L.A. & my winter wear means possibly wearing a long cardigan with my linen shorts. :)

Other than that, it's how I'd normally dress, except less shorts & more jeans or leggings with boots.

I also keep one swimsuit & coverup just for travel as my others get pretty ratty in our pool.

Unlike most of the other answers you received, I do have a cruise wardrobe. By keeping the clothes separate they are in better shape than something I wear all the time. When items start to look "worn" they go into my regular closet. About half of the items I have are for evenings as I change for dinner every night and like to dress up (something I never get to do at home).

I don't have a separate cruise wardrobe.

We cruise about once every 2 years, so, clothes sitting unused for such a long time, is a no-go.

We live in an area that has 4 seasons, so I have clothing for most conditions. I realize for people who live in the south, that taking a cruise to Norway or Alaska may mean purchasing new items, but I don't have that excuse.

A few months before a cruise, I look at my closet and determine what will be packed, and what new items I need. Often a new dress or a new bathing suit (I rarely go swimming at home, but will use the pool or hot tub on a cruise). I often buy new shoes (but that's just an excuse to buy shoes - I love shoes).

I do have a cruise wardrobe, at least for our warm weather cruises. At home I never go to a pool or beach, and we rarely eat out, so the white linen pants, big hats, etc. do not get worn here. Likewise, the dresses, which I make a game of shopping for year-round, pretty much stay in the cruise closet. Then when we book a cruise, I can start planning which ones I will pack. I enjoy it!

I don't have a separate cruise wardrobe. When we cruise I'll usually by a few new pieces just for the fun of it. But I really have lots of clothes so at any given time I'm prepared for any situation. I've lived all my life either in FL or CA so my wardrobe does contain mostly summer clothing and lots of swimsuits and cover-ups.

Since moving to CA (many many years ago) I also have a small winter wardrobe for going skiiiing up in the mountains. Those clothes came in handy when we cruised to Alaska several years ago.

Our next cruise is probably going to be to Cuba so most of the clothes I have in my closet are perfect that kind of weather. But I will buy some new things...just for fun!:D:D

I select my cruisewear from my regular wardrobe at home. I may buy something new with the cruise in mind (maybe because my regular things are getting old or ill-fitting or sometimes because I just see something I like) but it will be something that I will wear regularly. I usually wear new items a time or two before the cruise, because I find I prefer to pack things I know I enjoy wearing.

Our last few cruises (NCL) I have made it my mission to literally shop from the time we booked the cruise until the cruise itself. I had to have the "perfect" outfits - capri pants and cute tanks for day. Bathing suits, all different styles. Cover ups. Sundresses for daytime. And maxi dresses or fancier for night. The shoes. The accessories to go WITH all of these outfits. The shopping was about as much fun as the cruise.

Fast forward to today and I probably have 2 storage bins full of my "cruise wardrobe", much of which isn't fitting me as it used to (I have a nearly 2 year old and "haven't lost the baby weight". Lol.) Even if it did fit right though, most of it is what I would call "cruise wear" (white capris/white linen pants/ flowy blouses/ the dresses) and most of it just doesn't work for my very casual SAHM mom lifestyle. Truth be told, even before the baby, I didn't wear most of it unless I was on a cruise.

So I guess I'm curious if you all have a set "cruise wardrobe" per se... or if you just incorporate your everyday clothes into your cruise packing? (Weather appropriate of course)...

I used to hate how my legs look in shorts and I don't think I wore a pair of shorts more than MAYBE twice on our previous cruises. Lately though I've been wearing them a lot and envision simple daytime outfits of shorts and tanks on our next cruise. I never look "sloppy", I like to always look nice whatever I wear... and I know it sounds silly but part of me is wondering if that's "ok" or if I should step it up a bit. (Yes I tend to care a bit too much what others think!)

I wear my at home clothes on my cruises. I do make sure that all of my t shirts/tanks, etc. are spot free. If I find a small stain or maybe a spot of bleach hit my shirt ... then I buy a new one for the wardrobe that eventually goes on the cruise with me.

You should take those bins of 'cruise clothes' and sell them on ebay or a local facebook yard sale site ...

I love to put together a few special things for a cruise --mostly so that items mix and match better and are more appropriate for "going out to eat" in the MDR. I have been retired for 9 years and no longer have a "work" wardrobe --in fact my work is being an active Granny with appropriate clothing of course LOL!

I agree with others --if your "cruise" clothing no longer fits recycle it at a charity store then add new pieces so you have a multi-purpose wardrobe.

My cruise wardrobe is basically my summer clothes, with the addition of some fancy jackets for evening. I collected a large number of sheer blouses that are perfect for hot and/or humid weather. Beside the jackets, I have 3 pairs of sandals I only wear on cruises in the evenings. That's about it.