Swim Dresses or Suits with Skirts?

When I was younger I always wore bikinis. Once I no longer felt comfortable in them...at about age 45 I started wearing one pieces and still do at age 71. I've never liked swimsuits with skirts on them as I have big hips and they just make my hips look even wider. I have a couple of tankinis but I don't care for them. I live in CA and cruise a lot in the Caribbean and Mexico so I have at least 30-40 swimsuits. I get mine at end-of-summer sales at places like TJ Maxx (I've gotten a few Michael Kors ones for as cheap as $12), Marshalls, and believe it or not Walmart has some really cute ones! I got one there for $17 and then saw the same exact one in Glamour magazine. I've got halter-style, strapless, one-shoulder ones, just a huge variety. I never spend more than $30 on a swimsuit. That's my limit. I rotate them all the time so they never get out-of-shape. And, if they do start to show a little wear...they go into the Jacuzzi only pile.

Come to think of it...I do have a one-piece with, not exactly a skirt, but a cute ruffle and it does look really cute on.;p

I love swim skirts! I'm in my 40's. I think it just depends on the style, the person wearing etc To each their own!

I used to be a LOYAL LandsEnd swimsuit shopper, but when they redesigned a lot of their swimwear a few years back, nothing fit me, the fabrics weren't as nice as before - I had to search elsewhere.

Found some swim skirts at Target, and they're really cute. Not too long, not too short. I purchased these two, and then I just match them with bikini or tankini tops I already own.

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-swim-skirt-black-aqua-green-174/-/A-24009540?preselect=24011093#lnk=sametab

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-swim-skirt-black-aqua-green-174/-/A-16818932

A few years ago I got the ones on the second link, in black and in blue. I then went on Amazon and got a couple of tankini tops that match both. I always felt a little weird walking around in a swimsuit - and I grew up in PR, basically lived in a swimsuit for the first 18 years of my life ;)

Many lands’ end skirts just don’t give me enough coverage and I didn’t want to wear shorts and have to change on excursions.

This last cruise i bought a pair of swim shorts that were 9 inches and cover up a birth mark on my thigh. They had an attached panty, dried fast AND had pockets. I LIVED in them and decided for our next cruise to get a second pair, a coordinating rash guard and an extra tankini top.

I can’t recommend those shorts enough. I felt covered, but could swim, snorkel etc comfortably too. And they weren’t sopping wet for hours, like skirts, they just dried fast like men’s swim trunks. Highly recommended esp for shore days with a beach component!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Skirt or no skirt, it depends on what you want to do. If you are into water fitness classes and a swimmer, a skirt is a hindrance. If you mainly hang out around the pool deck, buy whatever you like and looks good on you, skirt or no skirt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm 37 and using a swim dress this year due to having a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to Stage 4 Breast Cancer. Cruise is Oct 28th 2018! This is the one I picked :) I think its cute and you can pull the skirt pretty far up or down to adjust length.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-JUICY-COUTURE-RUSHED-RUFFLED-ONE-PIECE-HOT-PINK-SWIMSUIT-SZ-P-TP-/291770770132?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

I'm 37 and using a swim dress this year due to having a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to Stage 4 Breast Cancer. Cruise is Oct 28th 2018! This is the one I picked :) I think its cute and you can pull the skirt pretty far up or down to adjust length.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-JUICY-COUTURE-RUSHED-RUFFLED-ONE-PIECE-HOT-PINK-SWIMSUIT-SZ-P-TP-/291770770132?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

Cute suit! Best wishes to you in your continuing battle.

This last cruise i bought a pair of swim shorts that were 9 inches and cover up a birth mark on my thigh. They had an attached panty, dried fast AND had pockets. I LIVED in them and decided for our next cruise to get a second pair, a coordinating rash guard and an extra tankini top.

I can’t recommend those shorts enough. I felt covered, but could swim, snorkel etc comfortably too. And they weren’t sopping wet for hours, like skirts, they just dried fast like men’s swim trunks. Highly recommended esp for shore days with a beach component!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did you get your shorts? I'd like to check them out

First an embarrassing story: Before one cruise, I tried on a "swim dress" at the mall, and it really suited me. I looked at it in the mirror a long time, wondering if it was "too old" for me, but finally I decided that it really did bring out my best features ... so I bought it.

One day on the ship I was wearing that swim dress at the adult pool and was quietly reading. Another woman -- much older, much heavier, and most definitely drunk -- was annoying everyone at the pool. She was loud and somewhat crude, and I don't think I was the only person failing to enjoy her company. I got up with the intention of moving to the other side of the pool ... and I realized SHE AND I WERE WEARING THE SAME SWIM DRESS. As much as I loved that swim dress (and still wear it today), I didn't wear it again on the cruise.

The real moral: Always take a couple swimsuits on a cruise!

Multiple random thoughts:

- I agree that two-pieces are easier in the bathroom. You can get two-piece swim dresses ... I don't have such a thing, but I'm sure I'd like it.

- I think swim dresses /swim skirts are in style now. Even my college daughter has one. We had a family swim party last summer, and I realized that almost every woman in my family -- regardless of age /size -- was wearing a skirted suit of some sort.

- Don't we all like the fact that these suits provide some cover for the often-difficult bikini line?

- That black suit with white polka-dots is adorable.