Keeping in touch with others on ship

klb1978

What’s the best way to keep in touch with family that’s sailing with us? Ideally I’d love to be able to text but none of us plan to get the internet package. On Disney we had phones we could use (ship provided) but not sure Oasis has anything like that. We are all on deck 8 but not all in a row. I know we can obviously leave messages on the doors but hoping to find a way to get in touch without having to always go back to room. Thanks!

Side note I have T Mobile and others in our group have Verizon I believe. Not sure if cell carriers offer any plans for cruising.

With verizon it's $0.50 to send $0.05 to recieve a text. And of course there's no way to pick which texts you receive. No data plan on cruise ships as far as I'm aware.

Without buying voom you're stuck with notes and voicemails on room phone which both require a trip to the room unless you pay per text.

You guys can go over the compass the night before and pick certain things for everyone to meet at or a time and place. That's what I did with friends I met on it. We'll do the trivia tomorrow at 1 or meet at the car in the promenade at 11. For the friend I was cruising with we kept a white board in the room with aprox plans that worked on us meeting up more often then not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

With verizon it's $0.50 to send $0.05 to recieve a text. And of course there's no way to pick which texts you receive. No data plan on cruise ships as far as I'm aware.

Without buying voom you're stuck with notes and voicemails on room phone which both require a trip to the room unless you pay per text.

You guys can go over the compass the night before and pick certain things for everyone to meet at or a time and place. That's what I did with friends I met on it. We'll do the trivia tomorrow at 1 or meet at the car in the promenade at 11. For the friend I was cruising with we kept a white board in the room with aprox plans that worked on us meeting up more often then not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good idea to review the compass together the night before! The cost for texting isn’t horrible but like you say you can’t pick and choose what texts you receive.

would inexpensive two way walkie talkies work?

In the past, on the smaller ships you could get some coverage with walkie talkies. The lager ships are spotty at best. I think with the sheer size of the ship, walkie talkies don't work well at all.