Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Host Bonjour

Dubrovniktravelady can I ask a dumb question? Would it be possible to walk the wall with a baby in a stroller?

We have a twenty month old baby and will have a stroller. We have no idea if the Nursery on the ship will be open or not as it changes on every ship.

So I was just wondering if it is doable or too rough. Thank you for all of your help

No you cannot, it is impossible. There are a grand total of 1.080 steps spread throughout. The only way to take up and baby is on your chest or have the hotel find a baby sitter. I hope you find a solution, a stroller can go up but you will spend the entire trip taking it up and down and up and down. Baby on the ship is your best solution.

November was, at one time, our wettest month. You may have typical fall or true winter weather. No one has any idea these days. You will find our historical sites have shorter winter hours. Most of the outdoor restaurants have closed down for our winter hibernation. The streets will be easy to navigate, only a few other tourists at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dubrovniktravelady And others

Thanks for all the great information. We are so looking

forward to visiting next year.

Can you tell me how mid october is for weather? Are there still a lot of tourists then ?

Thank you again.

We will be coming to Dubrovnik Oct 30 on a cruise ship. It looks like we are the only ship that day, so we are hoping for a light crowd. I believe we are there 8 - 4. We are going to stay in the area, walk the walls, see some of the historic sites in the old town, and go up and down the cable car. Do you have recommendations for timing at that time of year? Also, I guess we should have some rain gear in case Indian Summer has passed??

Thank you for any information!

The walls close down at 1830 on 01 September. If you can get up there before they begin to walk the wall and lock all the gates, go for it. Plan on only walking the sea side, best views are on that side. After you pass the old pier, which we call Porporela, and finish at the Ploce exit. The land side is the beginning of the upward climb to reach the high point at Minceta Tower. Enjoy the walk, total steps is 1,080!

Hi thanks for all the info on this thread! We're in Dubrovnik in September from 7am to 1pm. We're looking to do a Game of Thrones tour which starts at 9.30 and finishes at 11.30. Do you think that leaves us enough time to get back to the ship in time? Sorry, first ever cruise and as much as we'd like to spend longer in Dubrovnik I don't want to get left behind [emoji6]

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Forums mobile app

Check with your ship, they will tell you what time you are expected to be back on board. Normally with a 1pm departure, you should be back no later than 12N. You will need to take a taxi and not rely on public transportation. Also how many other ships arriving on your date, how many people wandering about the town. The harbor is not far, but waiting for a taxi could push your time. You should decide if you want to leave the tour slightly earlier.

The walls close down at 1830 on 01 September. If you can get up there before they begin to walk the wall and lock all the gates, go for it. Plan on only walking the sea side, best views are on that side. After you pass the old pier, which we call Porporela, and finish at the Ploce exit. The land side is the beginning of the upward climb to reach the high point at Minceta Tower. Enjoy the walk, total steps is 1,080!

Thank you so much. You always give the best information. Can you tell me how long a taxi drive it is from the dock to the entrance that will take us to the sea side?

With no traffic, it is only about 10 minutes from the Gruz harbor to the Pile gate entrance to the old town. You will enter thru the archway to the old town and the ticket counter is just across from the Onofrio fountain. Buy your tickets and up the 87 steps to the top of the wall. There is a small rest spot about half way up, enjoy the views they are fantastic.

Hello...... just a little note to say thank you Dubrovniktravellady for all of your help on this thread. We have just returned and would like to say what a fantastic day we spent in Dubrovnik.

Our ship docked in Gruz and we did the taxi tour. We were driven over the bridge to a photo stop and then we travelled up Mt Srd we stopped a couple of times to see the view and I can honestly say it was breathtaking. Our driver was very good and gave lots of detail on the area. The road up and down is single track and can be a bit hairy if you meet cars or a lorry coming the opposite way. He dropped us at Pile gate and we purchased the tickets and joined the climb around the wall. Even early it was hot take lots of water and a hat but this is not to be missed.

We are looking at returning to spend a little longer as we found Croatia to be a beautiful country I can understand the desire to live here. We also visited Split and enjoyed our time there as well.

Hi. Various taxis are lined up outside right where the gang way from the ship is. No hard sell or approach we walked over and one of the drivers greeted us. They advertise the cost in Euros. €13 to Pile Gate €50 for the hour drive. He said we could pay Euro or Kuna we had changed money before leaving and got a better rate than on the ship. Cost in Kuna was about 370. Our driver was great so well worth it. We had the views without the cable car waiting.

I just found a thread that said credit cards are accepted for the city walls. It was posted in 2018. I found one that said credit cards were not accepted for the cable car, but it was from 2011. Hoping they now take credit cards. Since I read that the cable cars might not run if windy, etc., I'd prefer to buy them when we get there.

Hello Dubrovniktravelady! My husband and I will be visiting on September 30 with Holland America on a cruise for our honeymoon. We are interested in watching the sunset from the Panorama Restaurant. I see from a quick search that sunset is usually around 6:30 this time of the year, would you say that is correct? Since we are in port fairly late we have quite a bit of time to explore town. I know that you can't recommend specific restaurants, but do you think we would need a reservation here?

Thank you for your help. I have so many notes for Dubrovnik from reading your posts! I wish you lived in every port :)