Missed Final Payment

cuculola

Here is my experience with RCI today. Somehow I missed the emails for final payment and noticed the cancellation email. Called corporate and spoke with Jell, who by policy will not provide her last name:mad:. I explain how the email was sent on a Saturday and that I get hundreds of emails a day that it is easy to miss an email. Was ridicule for being an adult and should be responsible for reading the emails.

The Bottom line, according to Jill and "policy" they can not re-instate your reservation. I am left with rebooking at the prevailing rate if I want to keep my deposit.

Have booked many cruises before and they just take the final payment off the original CC.

Lesson learned.

1. Cross RCI off my list due to bad cruise relations

2. Never go direct. Let the TA take care of it

3. Never sail with RCI again. go with NCL:mad::mad:

How on Earth is that their fault? You forgot when final payment was. They sent you a reminder that you missed and that's on them and not you? What more do you think they should have done? Come to your house and knocked on your door? I wasn't even aware that RCI sent out reminder emails for final payment. I don't know if I've ever received one.

Whenever I book any vacation I immediately put the final payment date in my Google calendar. Because I'm an adult and it's my responsibility to keep track of these things.

NCL allows people to miss final payment?

I never said people had to make a payment 40 days in advance. I said that is how I handled MY final payment.

But if people were to make a the final payment 2 weeks before drop dead due date ... how much happier, simpler, easier, no panic life would be.

I have seen people post here on CC ... "HELP ... it's my final payment due date and I can't get through on the phone and the website is down and my TA isn't answering the phone and ... and"

No need for this nonsense either.

My reason for waiting until the last minute is that i booked a non-refundable fare and figure if i end up hospitalized or get laid off before the final payment i want to lose as little money as possible. But because of that, i was also extra careful about not missing the final payment. If you want to fly close to the sun, you better be wearing fire-proof underpants. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

My reason for waiting until the last minute is that i booked a non-refundable fare and figure if i end up hospitalized or get laid off before the final payment i want to lose as little money as possible. But because of that, i was also extra careful about not missing the final payment. If you want to fly close to the sun, you better be wearing fire-proof underpants. :)

You wouldn't lose any more money if you paid early. It's before final payment date, not the date that you make your final payment.

Then your cancel for any reason insurance would cover those circumstances, should they arise.

NCL does exactly the same. My relatives thought final payment date was one day later than it actually was. Poof went their deposit and their reservation. They called and pleaded the next day but they would not relent.

So does Princess. I don't get it when people mess up but are super angry with the cruise line for doing what a cruise line does in this kind of cases.

P.S. Our friends found out the same hard way. The wife made reservations for the immediate family and her parents and paid it on time. Husband made reservations for his parents but never checked the email. Ever. The wife found out when she was trying to do the check-in for the in-laws.... She had to make a new reservation at an exorbitant price for a balcony (since interior rooms were sold out by then). :(

There are other cruise lines that do this but ROYAL CARIBBEAN DOES NOT.

Depending on where you booked it through, you may have different results (Travel Agent may be able to buy you more time than on line).. If I remember right, on line will cancel within a day, where as other methods MAY give you the 48 hours (Again, if I remember right).

Unless you as a customer sign an agreement that allow them to automatically charge additional payments, it would be illegal for a company to make such charges.

Would like to know which cruise lines you have experience with doing this? I have not run into it on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, NCL, or Royal.

I hate to break it to you but you may have to stay on top of the TA. In 2009 I booked through a TA who was alway available via email and was prompt on returning messages. Being a cruise junky as many are who belong to CC I knew when final payment was due. I could have amnesia and the only thing that I would remember would be final payment. On the due date I checked my account and saw that my payment wasn't made. I called the TA and asked when final payment was knowing that it was that day. She was shocked to see that it was that day. I gave her my credit card information and she processed it. I never got an email reminding me that it was coming up. Had I not called my trip would have been canceled. So my advise is don't depend on the TA. I haven't used a TA until this year and only because of the large OBC the agency was offering.

Times have changed. TA's now get multiple emails reminding them about final payments starting several weeks before the payment is due. In the past they did not do that.