Cruise prices online vs onboard

Dr.H

It seems that whatever the promotion online, whether it be BOGO 50% or overall 30% off (these seem to be the ones I see all the time), that the price is approximately the same.

My question is, are the price breaks really better if you purchase your next cruise on the ship vs ahead of time online?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The onboard prices are the same as what you'll find online. There may be some small onboard credit. Not sure but that may now be only for non-refundable deposits.

Quite often the next cruise staff are drones who act like they could care less and simply pull up whatever you ask about, giving little to no feedback. Occasionally you'll get a nice one who is conversational and has a personality:p

The onboard prices are the same as what you'll find online. There may be some small onboard credit. Not sure but that may now be only for non-refundable deposits.

Quite often the next cruise staff are drones who act like they could care less and simply pull up whatever you ask about, giving little to no feedback. Occasionally you'll get a nice one who is conversational and has a personality:p

LOL:')

I would say badly trained drones!

I've booked three cruises onboard in the past six months. All three times I've taken the onboard booking bonus as a discount off the price of the cruise rather than OBC. I was happy with the knowledge and friendliness of the person who helped me each time.

As always, YMMV.

I've booked three cruises onboard in the past six months. All three times I've taken the onboard booking bonus as a discount off the price of the cruise rather than OBC. I was happy with the knowledge and friendliness of the person who helped me each time.

As always, YMMV.

Are you sure this was RCI? :confused:

As far as I know they only offer OBC these days!

I was on Oasis in December of 2017. Was inquiring about Harmony in 2019. OV balcony. They were offering $200 OBC and $100 pp deposits if I booked on the ship. Non-refundable and if I decided I needed to change the dates between then and the next 24 months, there would be a $100 pp fee, thus making the OBC a "total wash" according to the salesman.

I'm not retired and a lot can happen in life over the course of 2 years so no way was I ready to commit to that. Not to mention, the fare was more expensive than what I saw online when I got home, and RC has done several promotions since that give you more OBC. The only perk I can see booking onboard is that the deposit is only $200 for 2 adults, but honestly, I don't mind forking over the $500 deposit to book online, when I feel the time is right and I'm ready to commit.

I'm always amazed to read posts that claim OBC for booking on-board of up to $600 is not a big deal!

The best way to approach NextCruise is with the knowledge and pricing for the cabin category you are looking for. The ships computers can give you that information for free. Almost every time the agent will offer you the highest priced cabin in that category. Assuming the sale is the same, yes it will look more expensive when you get home because online will show you the lowest priced cabin in that category. Inside, OV, balcony, JS +.

Approach agents as order takers and not as Travel Agents and the experience will be better. Everyone of our cruises for the last few years have been booked on-board. I estimate we have received at extra $2,000+ in OBC that we would not have received otherwise. Plus they automatically transfer your reservation to your TA.

I'm a big cheerleader for booking on-board because we normally get $200+ OBC and we rarely make any changes to sale date.

I'm always amazed to read posts that claim OBC for booking on-board of up to $600 is not a big deal!

The best way to approach NextCruise is with the knowledge and pricing for the cabin category you are looking for. The ships computers can give you that information for free. Almost every time the agent will offer you the highest priced cabin in that category. Assuming the sale is the same, yes it will look more expensive when you get home because online will show you the lowest priced cabin in that category. Inside, OV, balcony, JS +.

Approach agents as order takers and not as Travel Agents and the experience will be better. Everyone of our cruises for the last few years have been booked on-board. I estimate we have received at extra $2,000+ in OBC that we would not have received otherwise. Plus they automatically transfer your reservation to your TA.

I'm a big cheerleader for booking on-board because we normally get $200+ OBC and we rarely make any changes to sale date.

This.

It amazes me that CC people will complain about their cruise price going up $200 because of a "fake sale", but scoff at a $200 bonus for booking onboard.

Like just about everything else in life...sometimes it works for you and sometimes it doesn't.

This.

It amazes me that CC people will complain about their cruise price going up $200 because of a "fake sale", but scoff at a $200 bonus for booking onboard.

Like just about everything else in life...sometimes it works for you and sometimes it doesn't.

I didn't read anybody "complaining" about a "fake sale." Just that, like you said, sometimes it works for you, sometimes it doesn't.

• 5 months later...
Are you sure this was RCI? :confused:

As far as I know they only offer OBC these days!

We booked onboard the LOS in May 2018 for May 2019. We were offered a choice of taking it as an OBC or as a reduction in the price of the cruise. DH jumped at the price reduction as we spend precious little onboard on any cruise.