Are You Amped About Sky Princess 2019?

need2cruisesoon

short 3 day inaugural cruise...not following the others..:(...yet?;p

it was from a TA that we had used once before, and not even for a Princess cruise - just their top 10 cruise deals of the week

I wish I had the way to give you and this potential cruise some advice

I like a lot of what I am seeing in these images of the Sky Princess.

But, I watched the latest video, and I don't know if I like the way they are going with the Piazza if they follow this decor concept.

Somebody on another thread had mentioned Princess - too 'Vegas'... And if I am guessing right from that image, They might be right. A. lot of gold and glitz????

I have thought that Princess had a good thing going with the Piazza and the Sanctuary. And, I hope they don't make a mistake in the name of making 'updates' and changes!

I like a lot of what I am seeing in these images of the Sky Princess.

But, I watched the latest video, and I don't know if I like the way they are going with the Piazza if they follow this decor concept.

Somebody on another thread had mentioned Princess - too 'Vegas'... And if I am guessing right from that image, They might be right. A. lot of gold and glitz????

I have thought that Princess had a good thing going with the Piazza and the Sanctuary. And, I hope they don't make a mistake in the name of making 'updates' and changes!

Could you provide a link to the video that makes you think the Piazza is going Vegas?

The CG image on the Princess website of the Piazza for the Royal, Regal & Sky are the same images and the Majestic shows an actual photo that looks like the CG images. I know that the images for the Royal & Regal are accurate but haven’t seen anything to make me believe the Sky will be different.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I just pulled up this video,

And stopped it as it pans out on the artist rendering, and put it side-by-side with a couple of similar photos of the Piazza on Regal, here on CC.

It is hard to tell from an artist rendering, lighting, etc... But, the new image looks like a lot more shiny gold tone... like the spiral staircases look like a less neutral shinier gold-tone? It made me remember that 'Vegas' comment.

The square panels along the two floors above the main level seem to be different. Less 'neutral'.

Less marble, except for the floor of course... Do the support post/pillars have a different funky finish to them.... or maybe that is just the way the image looks in that artist rendering. Hhhhhmmmm????

Just, at first glance, immediately, I perceived it to be more bright, shiny, glitzy, and 'overdone'. (Vegas???)

But, as mentioned... I am not putting too much stock on these images!

How can you have a Sanctuary that looks like that, with open public area, and no pairs of comfy loungers to reserve?

Edited by Wishing on a star

And stopped it as it pans out on the artist rendering, and put it side-by-side with a couple of similar photos of the Piazza on Regal, here on CC.

It is hard to tell from an artist rendering, lighting, etc... But, the new image looks like a lot more shiny gold tone... like the spiral staircases look like a less neutral shinier gold-tone? It made me remember that 'Vegas' comment.

The square panels along the two floors above the main level seem to be different. Less 'neutral'.

Less marble, except for the floor of course... Do the support post/pillars have a different funky finish to them.... or maybe that is just the way the image looks in that artist rendering. Hhhhhmmmm????

Just, at first glance, immediately, I perceived it to be more bright, shiny, glitzy, and 'overdone'. (Vegas???)

How can you have a Sanctuary that looks like that, with open public area, and no pairs of comfy loungers to reserve?

Thanks for the video & comparing screenshots of the Sky’s artist rendering & a photo of the Regal, I can see the subtle changes you described.

The Sky shows a shinier gold than a darker version on the Royal & Regal. It also shows a blue centerpiece at the top & some blue in the lighting through the circular stairways like on the Majestic. I also think that the image of the Sanctuary doesn’t look as good as previously.

However as you wrote early images are all subject to change & in less than 15 months I will see for myself what changes have been made to the Sky. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Getting rid of Crooners on the newer Royal-class was a huge mistake. If you’re going to get rid of something, get rid of Princess Live! and replace it with a real lounge. If you need yet another restaurant move The Shops of Princess and put one there, and locate the shops into the area occupied by the Art Gallery. That space is wasted anyways.

Hi Dave,

I don't see a French Bistro being a big hit in the American market. Crooners was always busy. Maybe we can squawk enough that Princess will keep Crooner's on the Sky. Going to sail on the Sky in December anyway.

Marty

Not even a little bit. The venues aren't what I want. A French Bistro instead of Crooner's? Nope, nope, nope. I had zero interest in Majestic and Sky appears to be a clone of that ship. Send it to some far-flung area and let someone else have the "thrill" of sailing on the ship.

Agreed! I'll take any of the pre-Royal Class ships any day.

It appears the biggest concern is no Crooner's. I agree. Yes it could get noisy but it was a great place to people watch. I guess we will have to wait and see.

However, no one mentioned the deck plans showing a central staircase from the Plaza deck to the Marina deck.

Marty

I was looking through a site https://cruisedeckplans.com and it said the following about the jetted areas on the Sky Princess:

SeaWalk

Two level high sea walk that extends out over side of the ship. The first level has a glass floor that allows you to view all the way down to the ocean.

So, even though the deck plans seem to show wood, I guess there is some glass for viewing still. I did see the French Bistro on there as well and a "Bar/Lounge" with no specific name. Hopefully that is the replacement for Crooners. What's a cruise without a good spot to sit and drink martinis??

I was looking through a site https://cruisedeckplans.com and it said the following about the jetted areas on the Sky Princess:

SeaWalk

Two level high sea walk that extends out over side of the ship. The first level has a glass floor that allows you to view all the way down to the ocean.

So, even though the deck plans seem to show wood, I guess there is some glass for viewing still. I did see the French Bistro on there as well and a "Bar/Lounge" with no specific name. Hopefully that is the replacement for Crooners. What's a cruise without a good spot to sit and drink martinis??

For a ship being constructed I’ll trust the Princess deck plans more than from a 3rd party. Princess plans clearly show no Sky Walk & the bar moved to midship. It still shows a bumped out area but all decking.

I regularly check the Princess webpage for the Sky waiting to see the “coming soon” replaced by the new name for the old Club 6 area’s bar. The artist’s rendition shows images of the 1920s & having a piano in the bar...possibly a new version of Crooners in that currently underutilized area.

The Bar everyone is referring to is in the location where Club 6 is on Regal & Royal. I hope they do something different with it on the Sky. I don't like going there on the Regal. On the Regal it is where they have the elite cocktail hour in the evenings from 5-7. To me it is a dark, long skinny room. Maybe they are going to use the Vista Lounge more like a Crooners. I always think the Vista is a area they should use more. I think it is a big mistake to do away with Crooners. We go to Crooners every night. I can not see us ever going to the French Bistro. My DH will only go to the Crown Grill once on a cruise. He doesn't really enjoy the Crown Gill that much, only goes if we are traveling with friends who like to go. Princess will be loosing money on us because if no Crooners not sure where we will go to enjoy a drink. We don't care to sit in the Piazza. I like the wine bar but DH doesn't drink wine. If we decide to cruise on the Sky will bring my wine on board and have drinks on the balcony. I will see what people are saying when it comes to FL. We are not planning on booking the Sky unless it is going somewhere we can't go on another ship.

The Bar everyone is referring to is in the location where Club 6 is on Regal & Royal. I hope they do something different with it on the Sky. I don't like going there on the Regal. On the Regal it is where they have the elite cocktail hour in the evenings from 5-7. To me it is a dark, long skinny room. Maybe they are going to use the Vista Lounge more like a Crooners. I always think the Vista is a area they should use more. I think it is a big mistake to do away with Crooners. We go to Crooners every night. I can not see us ever going to the French Bistro. My DH will only go to the Crown Grill once on a cruise. He doesn't really enjoy the Crown Gill that much, only goes if we are traveling with friends who like to go. Princess will be loosing money on us because if no Crooners not sure where we will go to enjoy a drink. We don't care to sit in the Piazza. I like the wine bar but DH doesn't drink wine. If we decide to cruise on the Sky will bring my wine on board and have drinks on the balcony. I will see what people are saying when it comes to FL. We are not planning on booking the Sky unless it is going somewhere we can't go on another ship.

When were were on the Regal TA last fall the PES Reception was held in the Vista Lounge. I'm assuming because it was a TA and there were many veteran cruisers.

In my opinion, it wasn't all that great for this purpose due to the table setup being in a quasi theater arrangement. It was somewhat difficult to navigate and you had to "climb over" folks to get to any of the tables that weren't on the aisle. I would prefer Club 6.

It is tough to find information on the Sky Princess other than what folks have shared so far. I'm guessing more information will be coming down the line as we get closer to the early 2019.

Looking at current deck plans there is still information missing on certain venues.

I have been on most present classes, bitterly disappointing that Princess do not get rid of Princess Live and reinstate Explorers, I sailed Majestic last year, no crooners was a huge miss, the french restaurant was always empty and closed very early. big mistake. The Majestic was build for Asian market so I thought that was why no crooners, very strange, why does Princess not care that crooners is the most popular bar, it is always full - with no Explorers or Crooners cannot understand where the fun will be. I will not be booking Sky, plenty of other ship lines with better entertainment, do not get me wrong I love Princess, I am Elite and sail Royal Princess in January but I have also taken many cruises recently on the large NCL ships and RCL and they do have better entertainment, just not quite as serene as Princess, which is a bit more Formal.

What would excite me personally is a new class of ship like my favorite ship, Ruby Princess.

pretty sure on the Regal, Vines had a full service bar...not just wine...

We were on the Regal for 10 days in January 2018 & 7 days March 2018. In January they said my DH could go to the Piazza bar to get a beer & bring it back to Vines. In March they offered to get it for him. He will go along with this if we are traveling with friends that like Vines, but if it is just us he would rather go to another bar since he doesn't drink wine. When we are it Crooners this is not a problem I can have wine he can have whatever he wants without anyone having to go to another area to bring him a drink. I love Vines but Crooners works better for the two of us. I just don't see in the plans for the Sky any lounge that would be like Crooners.

I have been on most present classes, bitterly disappointing that Princess do not get rid of Princess Live and reinstate Explorers, I sailed Majestic last year, no crooners was a huge miss, the french restaurant was always empty and closed very early. big mistake. The Majestic was build for Asian market so I thought that was why no crooners, very strange, why does Princess not care that crooners is the most popular bar, it is always full - with no Explorers or Crooners cannot understand where the fun will be. I will not be booking Sky, plenty of other ship lines with better entertainment, do not get me wrong I love Princess, I am Elite and sail Royal Princess in January but I have also taken many cruises recently on the large NCL ships and RCL and they do have better entertainment, just not quite as serene as Princess, which is a bit more Formal.

What would excite me personally is a new class of ship like my favorite ship, Ruby Princess.

Friends who sailed the Majestic last year had no desire to dine at La Mer due to its noisy location with passengers walking by the open restaurant. The $35 menu was not desirable enough to overlook the lack of ambience due to its design.

Nothing has been announced for the currently labeled “Bar/Lounge” where Club 6 was previously located. On the Sky’s webpage for that “Coming Soon” location the artist rendering might offer a clue: 1920’s pictures on the wall (Babe Ruth; a flapper) and a piano in the bar/lounge. I’ve read several complaints from Crooners patrons about excessive noise from the Royal-class Piazza’s activities. If a Crooners-like piano bar is replacing Club 6 that could result in a better location. Just trying to anticipate the final results based on the limited clues we have from Princess.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/yp-sky-princess/

This was posted on my Sky’s roll call and again the Sky’s webpage describes having tables in PrincessLive so hopefully that results in a location that resembles Explorers more than a TV studio.

Originally posted by Micah's Grandad

Had interesting conversation with ED about Sky.

He did say that Princess Live will be replaced by something similar to Explorers Lounge which is good news to us.

Princess recently announced a new class of ships: two 175,000 tons ships that are scheduled for delivery in 2023 and 2025.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2359468

I don't know if I missed it but no one seems to have mentioned if the retreat pool on the Sky will be enclosed as it is on the Majestic or open like on the Royal and Regal.

I really prefer Princess over Celebrity in general but love their indoor pool for inclement (or even extremely hot) days.

Would LOVE to see that on Princess! (And yes, I do remember that the Island, Coral and older Golden and Grand did have indoor pools.)

NOPE! I have no interest in any of the new oversized Princess ships, nor the new one once it is completed. I have zero enthusiasm for any of them.

I'll stick with the Pacific Princess and the grand class ships.

I guess it’s all a matter of different likes and dislikes. We’ve been on the Royal three times and the Regal once. Yes, they are bigger and hold more passengers. But, they’ve always felt less crowded to us than the grand class ships.