Coffee card confusion

Ace_at_sea

hi all!

I was hoping somebody might be able to help me understand these new coffee cards on princess. I called princess, and the customer service rep I spoke with said that brewed coffee and tea is always complimentary, and that the coffee cards are only needed for specialty coffee and hot chocolate. I’m confused, because when you go into the personalizer to purchase a card, it says one is needed for brewed coffee and tea as well. Can anyone on here tell me which of these is correct? We are sailing on the royal princess if that makes a difference at all. I understand that some things could differ between different ship classes.

Thanks for any advice on this in advance! And I look forward to reading more and posting more on here leading up to our first cruise!

hi all!

I was hoping somebody might be able to help me understand these new coffee cards on princess. I called princess, and the customer service rep I spoke with said that brewed coffee and tea is always complimentary, and that the coffee cards are only needed for specialty coffee and hot chocolate. I’m confused, because when you go into the personalizer to purchase a card, it says one is needed for brewed coffee and tea as well. Can anyone on here tell me which of these is correct? We are sailing on the royal princess if that makes a difference at all. I understand that some things could differ between different ship classes.

Thanks for any advice on this in advance! And I look forward to reading more and posting more on here leading up to our first cruise!

No more paper coffee cards. The coffee package is loaded onto your cruise card. It includes 15 espresso drinks plus unlimited "select" brewed coffee and specialty teas for the voyage. The package expires when you disembark and unused espresso drinks are lost.

Since you are sailing on the Royal Princess there are other considerations before purchasing a coffee package. For no charge the Royal Princess has brewed coffee made from grounds & hot chocolate available all day and evening in the buffet area and on the Horizon Terrace. There are also a variety of tea bags, Twinings, Lipton on the Royal and all ships. The Royal also has no charge afternoon tea in one of the DR's most days and on formal days has a more formal tea for a $10 charge, $20 if you get the champagne.

Hope this answers you question

Coffee and Tea in the Dining Rooms and the Buffet is free BUT the coffee in these venues is not fresh brewed but made from some concoction.

Coffee and coffee speciality drinks from the barista (International Cafe) are fresh brewed - think Starbucks, and are not free.

hi all!

Welcome aboard. I know you will love Princess.

There is a lot of confusion right now because they are transitioning from cards to Medallion, where everything will be electronic, thus changing how several things are done. Some ships have it, some don’t.

The person you spoke to was wrong and right. In the international Cafe you will need a coffee “card” which you purchase, for a set amount of specialty coffees and unlimited BREWED coffee and specialty teas for the duration of the cruise. You can get all of the coffee and tea you want in the Horizon Court or in any of the restaurants during a meal. These coffees are formulated from a syrup base and disliked by many. I personally find them perfectly acceptable and even more so over the last few years. But I do love my cappuccino or latte after dinner and you can order those from your waiter.

Hope this helped a bit. I figure that once I board the Regal on November 1, it will all be clear, maybe. Whatever, we’re cruising!!!!

Enjoy your cruise and please write back and let us know how much you loved it.

Maureen

So the speciality team sold in the little boxes in the case at the international cafe are unlimited with the coffee card?

I am not a coffee drinker but I love specialty teas !!!

Lipton vs Teavana is a similar comparison to buffet coffee and a fresh brewed espresso...IMHO;p

Any other tea snobs agree?:D

Coffee and Tea in the Dining Rooms and the Buffet is free BUT the coffee in these venues is not fresh brewed but made from some concoction.
I assume you’re referring to the Royal Princess as that was the OPs question which has me (and probably the OP) confused by your answer. As stated above, the coffee in the buffet, dining room, etc. is brewed coffee on the Royal.

The person you spoke to was wrong and right. In the international Cafe you will need a coffee “card” which you purchase, for a set amount of specialty coffees and unlimited BREWED coffee and specialty teas for the duration of the cruise. You can get all of the coffee and tea you want in the Horizon Court or in any of the restaurants during a meal. These coffees are formulated from a syrup base and disliked by many. I personally find them perfectly acceptable and even more so over the last few years. But I do love my cappuccino or latte after dinner and you can order those from your waiter.

It can be confusing when things change...plus when you call Princess for answers you need to keep in mind that most of the reps have never been on a cruise.

The Royal/Regal/Majestic have "regular" brewed coffee in the buffet. None of the other ships have that. The usual coffee that's available in the buffet and dining rooms at no charge is made from a syrup (think instant coffee).

The coffee "card" gives 15 specialty coffee & iced concoctions from the International Cafe (different name on some older ships). Included in the cost of the card is unlimited brewed coffee (don't know if it's a different brand from what you can get in the buffet) and fancier blends of tea than the buffet has, plus yummy hot chocolate with whipped cream (from a can) if you want.

I can barely stomach the coffee that’s offered at the buffet. Last trip, my husband had the coffee card loaded on his card. He would get his black coffee and would pick me up a latte. The coffee card states that the unlimited black coffee and tea is not to be shared, but the 15 or so specialty coffees can be shared. It worked out great for us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

As others have posted, the Royal class ships have fresh brewed coffee, hot chocolate, and a good selection of tea bags and hot water in the Horizon Court. Unless you want the specialty coffees such as espresso, lattes and the sort, I doubt you will need a Coffee Package. The price is the same onboard so I would suggest you try the coffee first. The coffee on the Royal class ships is not the made from syrup coffee that gets all the complaints on the older ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ace_at_sea

“Coffee and Tea in the Dining Rooms and theBuffet is free BUT the coffee in these venues is not fresh brewed but made fromsome concoction.”

“You can get all of the coffee and tea you wantin the Horizon Courtor in any of the restaurants during a meal. These coffees are formulated from asyrup base and disliked by many.”

These statements are incorrect for your cruise on the Royal Princess and all other Royal Class ships. These ships do have coffee brewed from grounds at no charge in the buffet and in the DR's.

What's the difference? It was explained to me the the grounds in the buffet and DR's are a blend of arabica and robusta coffees. The brewed coffee at the International cafe is 100% arabica.

Again we are specifically speaking about your booked cruise on the Royal Princess.

sknite has hit the nail on the head. On the Royal class ships, brewed coffee and Twinings & Lipton teas are available in the buffet. At the International Café, brewed coffee (better grounds), specialty coffees and specialty teas are available with the coffee package or priced individually each time you get one.

So the speciality team sold in the little boxes in the case at the international cafe are unlimited with the coffee card?

I am not a coffee drinker but I love specialty teas !!!

Lipton vs Teavana is a similar comparison to buffet coffee and a fresh brewed espresso...IMHO;p

Any other tea snobs agree?:D

The teas at the International Café are Mighty Leaf. When we had a suite on the Royal last December, I'd stop by the International Café to pick up a tea bag to take with me to breakfast. It seems to me that Sabatini's and the Crown Grill should serve the best tea available on the ship, but they had the same selection as the dining room and buffet.

I'm planning on taking some tea bags on our next cruise since I have to have caffeine-free tea and the selection on the ship is limited. (My favorite is a caffeine-free green tea with breakfast.)

Dumb question, but I still have paper coffee cards from exchanging our mini bar....so what happens? Also for a 7 day cruise, you have to use all your "specialty" coffees? Geesh.

If you have punches still on the card they are still good in 2018. If your cards mentions expire December 31, 2018 then they can not be used after that date. If there is no expiration date on the card and you are sailing in 2019, bring the card with you, you may be able to use it.

7 day cruise. From what I understand as read on these boards, if you don't use all 15 specialty coffees then you lose them when you disembark. If you are on a b2b the 15 specialty coffees will carry over.

Here are a few statements from the Princess fine print. The first statement kind of infers that there will be different packages for different length cruises, but I don't see this offered. On my upcoming 7 day and 15 day cruises the same package is offered at the same cost. The 2nd statement kind of indicates that when the voyage ends the package ends, but it does not specifically address b2b's. Both statements are a little misleading.

“The package includes the pre-purchaseof a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) duringthe voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hotchocolate.”

“The coffee package is valid only onthe voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffeespre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT becredited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.”

I think some who are new to Princess read these posts and think the only way to get coffee at the IC is to purchase a coffee card. You CAN purchase coffee or tea there and just pay each time. Don't need a card. Now that the card is only good on that voyage not such a good deal.

Princess has stated that coffee cards with no expiration date are good until August 31, 2019.

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items.

Terms and Conditions

• Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update these terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply, in addition to the terms and conditions of the passage contract.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • By purchasing a coffee package, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate during the VOYAGE OF PURCHASE.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees as noted on the coffee package card in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Each punch is good for one specialty coffee, regardless of the cost of the specialty coffee.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • Coffee cards are valid until the expiration date printed on the card. If NO expiration date is printed on the card it is valid until August 31, 2019.
  • Unused punches may be used on subsequent voyages unless the card has expired.
  • Free brewed coffee is available only on the voyage of issue.
  • Coffee cards cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Coffee package cards are only valid for use by the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items in cabin.

Terms and Conditions

• Each card must display the date of purchase to be valid.
  • Cards without a date of purchase will have one added at the time of service by a crew member.
  • Cards that have been purchased from secondary sources, other than Princess Cruises, altered, tampered with, photocopied or are expired will be retained by the vessel at their sole discretion and are considered void.
  • Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update the terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
    • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
    • Unused punches have no cash value and are considered forfeit if the card is lost, stolen, irretrievably damaged or expired. The honoring of unused punches on future voyages is allowed up to the expiration date but may be discontinued at any time without notice or recourse.
    • By purchasing a coffee package card, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

• Like 1

Coffee and coffee speciality drinks from the barista (International Cafe) are fresh brewed - think Starbucks, and are not free.

The coffe on the Royal and the Regal is fresh brewed not made from the coffee syrup.

I can barely stomach the coffee that’s offered at the buffet.
While taste is subjective, I’m surprised that you didn’t like the fresh brewed coffee in the buffet on the Royal or Regal. As has been said previously, the coffee on these ships is fresh brewed. I haven’t seen any complaints about the coffee on these ships.

Thank you all so much for the input! This has been such a help, and looks like it may have helped a few others as well.

While I do like an espresso after dinner once in a while, I definitely don't the the coffee card will be worth it for us. And I'm very happy about the royal class ships having brewed coffee instead of the syrup. One of many reasons that I'm glad we chose her for our first adventure at sea :D

If i bring a unused card with no expiration date on my next cruise in October, will they take my card and load it on my cruise card or will I keep the card and they will punch it for each coffee.

What is in red is the answer.

• 6 months later...
25 minutes ago, bogan said:

On a world cruise, does the  coffee package last the entire 106 days or only on the segment on which it was purchased?

The way it has been discussed here on CC recently I would say per segment since they don't carry over?