Swim Dresses or Suits with Skirts?

I have had one for years and I am only 39! I find the skirts or board shorts a great thing with not feeling self concious walking around in a smaller bottom and you dont have to worry all the time about "maintenance" in areas that perhaps the wax job didn't take care of ;)

No they are not just for the oldies and many are quite cute. What I didn't like was the dripping skirt after I had been in the water. It dripped for quite awhile even when I tried to wring it out......just did not like the drip, drip, drip.:p I have a couple of tankinis that came with a little matching skirt since the bottoms are a little skimpier than I like for walking around.;)

I'm 55 and wear a bikini....age shouldn't have alot to do with it...the shape you're in should dictate what you wear!

There are suits with longer skirts (dowdy) and with short, flirty skirts (cute)...and remember, when they get wet, they stick to you....so even the longer skirt will be a pain!

Wear what you're comfortable in! You'll see a bit of everything (even some things you probably shouldn't see...like "thongs" on bigger girls....speedos on really ancient men...)

I have a cute tankini with a matching skirt bottom but it's not like a huge flaring skirt (i'm 30 by the way) I would say it's like a flat tennis style skirt if that makes sense.

Edited by nicolen1101

I got a cute tankini top paired with swim shorts from Lands End. I tried their standard swim skirt and felt it was too long. They do have a cute mini-skirt length, though. Two of my daughters in their 20's saw my swim shorts and fell in love with them and ordered their own. I guess they didn't think they were too old. We live in a beach community so my kids are usually pretty up to date on bathing suit styles.

I got a pair of cute "retro" halter swim suits that are rouched all over and though they do not have true "skirts" the rouching does come down over the thighs almost to the level of the crotch. The whole thing makes for an updated version of an "old Hollywood" look. Best of all, it doesn't sag or drip when wet. I ordered them from Spiegel and love them.

I have seen lots of skirted swim suits this season. Are they for all ages or are they mainly for the more mature women? I think they are cute' date=' but I don't want to look dowdy. I'm only 41.

:rolleyes:[/quote']

I got a pair of cute "retro" halter swim suits that are rouched all over and though they do not have true "skirts" the rouching does come down over the thighs almost to the level of the crotch. The whole thing makes for an updated version of an "old Hollywood" look. Best of all, it doesn't sag or drip when wet. I ordered them from Spiegel and love them.

I have a ton of swimsuits, including two like TaoDiva described, and also one that is a tankini top with skirted bottom.

I'm only 26 so I don't think either is an "old" look :) Of course, there are some that do look matronly, but I think there are plenty of younger styles too.

I was a synchornized swimmer for seven years and never saw a skirted swimsuit on an opponent or a teammate. All models of skirted suits I have seen in catalogs look older. My mom is 30 years older than me and has a skirted suit. So in my experience skirted suits seem to be for old and big ladies. But if a high school or college student has one, good for her - it can't hurt to be the only young girl in a pool with a skirt on her suit.

I'm 33 and wear a skirted swim bottom with my tankini suit. I saw quite a few younger women wear the skirted tankini bottoms on our cruise last year and they looked great. I got my suit from Lands End modeled by younger women in the pictures and it looked cute on the model. It looks flattering on my lumpy body. I do have a regular swim bottom as well, but I have to say the skirted one looks much better on me. I have big, dimply thighs that I wish to hide for now.

The only draw back is with the skirt going up and getting in the way when swimming or hanging out in the water. One way to have the best of both worlds is to have a regular swim bottom with a tankini and wear a cute running skirt (check out skirtsports.com) over it as a cover up. You can remove the skirt before swimming and not have to deal with the drippy skirt afterwards.

Im 28 and wear a skirted one piece. I bought it just for my cruise too. Im hefty on the hips and booty,and I wanted to cover it up. Im very comfortable in it. I wore it around my friends, none of whom have bikkini bods,and they ooohed and ahhhed. So I guess simple and black and skirted works for me. I got mine off ebay. But my BFF,who is larger than me got a tankini at Walmart this year. Its so cute on her,and flatters her fuller figure. I say whatever youre comfortable in and out of the pool in. I'l say this about the dress, it was kinda weird having that skirt swimming,but after a few,I got used to it. :)

If you look there are a ton of skirted suits in the Jr sections of most of the trendy stores this year. Maybe they use to be more for the older set but those days are long gone. Now they make them for all ages and styles. I think even VS has skirted suits this year.

I have an Anne Cole suit with a short skirted bottom. Nothing matronly about it, it's super cute and sexy, even if I'm not LOL

I love the shirted tankini type!!! After my son was born (11 years ago:eek:) It was so much easier to take him as a baby in the pool, because when climbing out with a baby, I didn't have to worry about "the exit weggie" and exposing myself to all the family. But even on my cruises, I find a shirted tankini is more restroom friendly, and I feel less self conscience (sp?) when grabbing lunch after a dip. Newport News has a bunch of build your own pieces that are not "old looking"

Edited by rock the boat

I have a cute tankini with a matching skirt bottom but it's not like a huge flaring skirt (i'm 30 by the way) I would say it's like a flat tennis style skirt if that makes sense.

I have the same thing. It is a smaller skirt bottom, with a tankini top. I am 47 and wear it because I enjoy lots of water sports, not for mature reasons. I bought it in the Jr. dept. of Nordstrom's and it is very cute and sporty and could be worn by any age group.

Edited by Hoosiercouple

I wear a skirted bottom (and I am old and a bit bottom heavy! LOL), but I am sure to buy nylon material skirts and not spandex. The spandex type stretch out when wet and stay wet a long time. Nylon dries faster and doesn't stretch out.

I got mine at Land's End.

I have seen lots of skirted swim suits this season. Are they for all ages or are they mainly for the more mature women? I think they are cute' date=' but I don't want to look dowdy. I'm only 41.

:rolleyes:[/quote']

Just make sure the bottom of the skirt doesn't hit you at the widest part of your thighs or it will make them look huge.

I tried the skirted bottoms, and they were really unflattering on me -- made my thighs look huge even though they're pretty thin. I ending up with a tankini and nice sarong. I think that the cutest suits have tiny skirts, but they aren't going to cover much if that is what

you want.

• 8 years later...

I used to think skirt suits or swim dresses were for more mature women (I'm 45) but I've been wearing them for several years now. I'm average in build to slightly overweight and am a single mother to a young daughter who loves to swim and go to water/amusement parks. There is nothing worse than walking around all day worried that something is out of place, picking a swim bottom out of your bum, self conscious about your jiggly bits, etc. I decided to try several different suits, some with shorts, some with swim skirts, and some that were more of a traditional swim dress (but the shorter lengths). For the first time in my life I was comfortable wearing a swimsuit and not self conscious at all. The suits I picked were very flattering (accentuated all the good and none of the bad). Yes they are kind of drippy when you get out of the pool but dry quickly or just wrap a towel around for a minute and they are fine. My rule of thumb with any fashion is to wear what you like and what makes you feel good. I have always loved to swim but was always uncomfortable in traditional swimsuits until now and my daughter loves that I actually get in and swim with her, ride rides, etc.

I love swim skirts! I'm in my 40's. I think it just depends on the style, the person wearing etc To each their own!

I used to be a LOYAL LandsEnd swimsuit shopper, but when they redesigned a lot of their swimwear a few years back, nothing fit me, the fabrics weren't as nice as before - I had to search elsewhere.

Found some swim skirts at Target, and they're really cute. Not too long, not too short. I purchased these two, and then I just match them with bikini or tankini tops I already own.

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-swim-skirt-black-aqua-green-174/-/A-24009540?preselect=24011093#lnk=sametab

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-swim-skirt-black-aqua-green-174/-/A-16818932