Competition for Princess on the West Coast

LawDog61

I see that NCL is bring one of their “big dog” 4000 passenger ships to cruise out of Los Angeles (NCL Bliss). The CCL brands have had a powerful market grip on the West Coast and strong pricing power.

Could there be some price competition in our future?

I see that NCL is bring one of their “big dog” 4000 passenger ships to cruise out of Los Angeles (NCL Bliss). The CCL brands have had a powerful market grip on the West Coast and strong pricing power.

Could there be some price competition in our future?

They do? Princess has two ships on the West Coast (LA and SF) almost constantly. I think Carnival only has one. The others are here in the winter.

Princess is a Carnival brand - owned by the same company

The two compete head to head in many markets...and with the other brands in the family as well. If you are going to say NCL's presence will encourage all the Carnival brands to drop prices in order to compete, that is possible. Maybe I misunderstand what the OP was pointing out.

Princess is a Carnival brand - owned by the same company
Holland America and Cunard are also owned by Carnival Corporation & Plc and sail itineraries on the West Coast.

RCI pulled out several years ago.

Always follow the money. If demand is being met for available cabins, it doesn’t make economic sense for another cruise line to add a ship or ships. That creates a glut of cabins and lower prices which is good for the consumer/passenger but bad for the cruise line.

Yes.... as the O.P., I make the assumption that the CCL brands do not engage in price competition with each other. ( the shareholder in me would be disappointed if they did) As Pam points out, CCL has not had much competition in the L.A. market since RCL pulled out.

There are more options today than there used to be when it comes to West Coast itineraries: Mexican Riviera, Baja California, Panama Canal, Alaska, Hawaii, 5-day overnight to Cabo, 3-4 day short cruises, and California Coastal.

Interestingly, when the cruise lines stopped going to the Mexican Riviera due to the drug cartels and Princess suddenly switched to CA coastals, they seemed to realize for the first time that there was a strong West Coast market for alternative itineraries. Princess offers far more West Coast itinerary options than any other cruise line.

The four Carnival Corporation brands have different passenger demographics so I don’t think they compete too much based on fares. No matter what, each line will offer the pricing that the market can bear to fill the ship.

I am an NCL cruiser, have platinum status, but I am cruising with Princess in September because they offer a much better itinerary for the West Coast and are doing a round trip from Vancouver where I live. Next year we are cruising with HAL to Alaska because NCL and Princess aren't offering round trips from Vancouver in the summer but are out of Seattle. Not only that, NCL has brought in one of their mega ships on that itinerary and that does not appeal to us. I also find it disappointing that a lot of the Alaska trips are now one way. Who wants to do all that flying? My point is that price is not always the deciding factor when choosing cruise lines. Itinerary and departure/return ports are also important as well as the size of the ship.

Yes.... as the O.P., I make the assumption that the CCL brands do not engage in price competition with each other. ( the shareholder in me would be disappointed if they did) As Pam points out, CCL has not had much competition in the L.A. market since RCL pulled out.

To not compete with other CCL brands would invite anti-trust charges.

I am a "Princess Cheerleader" who loves the fact that I can drive to the San Pedro port in one hour.

That being said, anything that provides options for the consumer is a good thing.

(y)

To not compete with other CCL brands would invite anti-trust charges.

Not really. If they conspired with other cruise lines it would be anti trust, but within a single corporation, nope not really. A bit like saying that GM brands or Ford brands cannot coordinate pricing strategy across the corporation. Even though their vehicles come out of the same factories.

CCL brands very clearly coordinate market placement, customer targeting, and pricing at the strategic level. Several of the brands also coordinate and share resources such as purchasing.

I am a "Princess Cheerleader" who loves the fact that I can drive to the San Pedro port in one hour.

That being said, anything that provides options for the consumer is a good thing.

(y)

So what you are saying is that you live right around the corner from the port! An hour drive in LA can be a very short distance! I am from LA Too and your post made me laugh. If you are not from here will not get the humor. XBGuy has to mean LBguy. (The inside joke here is Long Beach - Basically San Pedro which is next door and can be 1+hour away.) it's an LA thing!

So what you are saying is that you live right around the corner from the port! An hour drive in LA can be a very short distance!
Yup. In the LA metro area, you measure distance in time rather than distance. I’m less than an hour’s drive to San Pedro under normal traffic circumstances (which others would call heavy traffic.) With construction starting on the 405 to widen it, it’ll take a lot longer pretty soon.

Yup. In the LA metro area, you measure distance in time rather than distance. I’m less than an hour’s drive to San Pedro under normal traffic circumstances (which others would call heavy traffic.) With construction starting on the 405 to widen it, it’ll take a lot longer pretty soon.

Thanks for the heads up on the 405. We will plan accordingly for our cruise coming up next spring.

I don't like NCL and I especially don't like the gigantic mega ships!

I am not happy that Carnival is bringing its own mega ship to California.

We may have to switch our yearly Mexico cruise to Princess or just stop going at all.

I live on the west coast and have has of yet to sail the Mexican Riviera. Is it pretty safe? What one reads in the news may not be reality for cruisers.

I live on the west coast and have has of yet to sail the Mexican Riviera. Is it pretty safe? What one reads in the news may not be reality for cruisers.

Not safe for some ports.

NCL cancelled our Manzanillo stop and PV (not sure why PV was cancelled) due to State Dept. Travel Warnings.

Now we are Cabo and Mazatlan)

Not safe for some ports.

NCL cancelled our Manzanillo stop and PV (not sure why PV was cancelled) due to State Dept. Travel Warnings.

Now we are Cabo and Mazatlan)

Will be interested in knowing why the cancellation of these 2 ports just returning to the Mexican Riviera after a long hiatus used to love this cruise

We are sailing Ruby in Jan. Deals just aren't good enough these days once you add airfare to fly to east coast. We love Royal, but will also be looking to try out Panorama possibly in 2020 with our kids. RCCL is missing out on my business the next few years.