Price dropped after paid in full. Happy with result after calling.

bichonandon

This is an FYI for other novice cruise pax like me. YMMV so please feel free to add your experience.

My husband booked directly with Princess. He purchased an unobstructed ocean view for an early Oct departure.

Then today we found out the prices had dropped on other sites. It wasn't a huge drop, but with the cancellation fee included, we would be looking at paying an $80 difference total for both of us if we cancelled and booked a balcony through a TA site.

My husband called Princess, and they were able to offer us a balcony for $70 total extra. So they price matched an upgraded room.

Having already looked this up on here and elsewhere, we didn't expect anything, maybe a little onboard credit, but we were happy to get a balcony for a great price. This will be our first balcony!:):):)

Sorry for all the smilies, I couldn't figure out how to delete them!

I have been watching the prices of my cruise and they have been going up up up. From $622, a couple of days ago $830 ... and NOW $1,049 for the balcony!

I am glad I purchased when I did. I am sailing solo in a balcony. I caught the price when it was $599/pp.

Days

Port

Cabo San Lucas GetawayRoundtrip from Los Angeles, California

JWC050.jpg

Ships: Ruby Princess

Ports: Los Angeles, California | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico |Los Angeles, California

Mon, Oct 22, 2018

DatesInteriorOceanviewBalconyMini-SuiteSuiteMon, Oct 22, 2018

Ruby Princess

$499.00*

$939.00*

$1,049.00*

Sold Out

Sold Out

Guests 3 & 4 - same stateroom$199.00*

$199.00*

$299.00*

Sold Out

Sold Out

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses additional: $95.00*

I have been watching the prices of my cruise and they have been going up up up. From $622, a couple of days ago $830 ... and NOW $1,049 for the balcony!

I am glad I purchased when I did. I am sailing solo in a balcony. I caught the price when it was $599/pp.

Days

Port

JWC050.jpg

Ports: Los Angeles, California | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico |Los Angeles, California

Mon, Oct 22, 2018

Ruby Princess

$499.00*

$939.00*

$1,049.00*

Sold Out

Sold Out

$199.00*

$299.00*

Sold Out

Sold Out

Wow, I guess timing is important. Our Oct 1st cruise is the same itinerary except on the Star Princess!

Days

Port

JWC050.jpg

Mon, Oct 22, 2018

Ruby Princess

$499.00*

$939.00*

$1,049.00*

Sold Out

Sold Out

$199.00*

$299.00*

Sold Out

Sold Out

How far in advance did you purchase ?

How far in advance did you purchase ?

Last March I purchased at $606/pp. It went down to $599 and I got the price adjusted down to that. But I've been looking every day to see if 'might' go lower. Final payment is due 8/24/18. But these high & fast increases are crazy. It went up to $622 and stayed for a long time, then went to $633, down to $622 .... back and forth ... then $830, then $1049.

Excellent! Enjoy that balcony.

I called once when I saw the pricing for a cruise on which I was booked drop by a lot. When I first called, they wouldn’t do anything for me. I called back that same week when I thought about what it would cost me to cancel and rebook a balcony instead of an obstructed OV cabin. I would have saved money by doing so in the cabin I had booked and only spent a little more if I were to upgrade to a balcony. This time, I got through to somebody that was willing to help. She ended up upgrading us to a balcony, without any cancelation fee, for no extra charge. Sometimes. it does take a little perseverance and willingness to have your offer rejected at leader once.

Last March I purchased at $606/pp. It went down to $599 and I got the price adjusted down to that. But I've been looking every day to see if 'might' go lower. Final payment is due 8/24/18. But these high & fast increases are crazy. It went up to $622 and stayed for a long time, then went to $633, down to $622 .... back and forth ... then $830, then $1049.

You had your price adjusted for a reduced fare of $7????? Isn't that a bit absurd. I would suggest that people who do things like that will make it more difficult for the rest of us who may want to take advantage of significant reductions.

DON

You had your price adjusted for a reduced fare of $7????? Isn't that a bit absurd. I would suggest that people who do things like that will make it more difficult for the rest of us who may want to take advantage of significant reductions.

DON

Why would my watching the prices every day and getting the available discount hinder anyone else's chances? Doesn't make any sense.

Why not get it adjusted? Turns out ... to date ... it's the lowest fare of the cruise. I'm sailing solo ... I'll take all the savings I can get. I got $100 off with Amex promo. I bought Princess gift cards with bonus free $$ gift cards and paid off my balance with the purchased gift cards and the bonus $$ gift cards are my OBC.

I wonder if the rapid increase in price this past week is due to a large group booking their cabins? So many cabins being booked at once maybe triggered the price increases?

Why would my watching the prices every day and getting the available discount hinder anyone else's chances? Doesn't make any sense.

Why not get it adjusted? Turns out ... to date ... it's the lowest fare of the cruise. I'm sailing solo ... I'll take all the savings I can get. I got $100 off with Amex promo. I bought Princess gift cards with bonus free $$ gift cards and paid off my balance with the purchased gift cards and the bonus $$ gift cards are my OBC.

I wonder if the rapid increase in price this past week is due to a large group booking their cabins? So many cabins being booked at once maybe triggered the price increases?

Can you please tell me about the Princess gift cards, and where do you get them?

OK I found where to get them.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/gift-cards/

But I did not see at this time any bonus to buy them> When do you get that?

Thanks

Edited by geocruiser

Can you please tell me about the Princess gift cards, and where do you get them?

OK I found where to get them.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/gift-cards/

But I did not see at this time any bonus to buy them> When do you get that?

Thanks

It was a special Princess was having over Mother's Day weekend.