Need Valletta, Malta advice

We need to plan our interests around 2pm tickets we have purchased for Hypogeum.

We are in port 10/27 from 9am-8pm

What we'd like to do:

Mdina and any other Game of Throne sites you know of plus fun train to Rabat

St. John's Co Cathedral....only open 9:30-noon on Saturday and explore nearby streets

Marsaxlokk

Other possibilities not as important:

Blue Grotto, ferry to Sliema or Gozo

What would be a timely order to visit...obviously Cathedral should be first I would think.

Can we hire taxi at port to take us for the days visit? I read something about 4 hrs for 80 euros

Or should we pre-arrange?

Thank you for any insight!

JoAnne

I see that no one has responded to one of your questions, so I will give my personal experience -- although it is now 8 years old. We (3 of us) did indeed hire a taxi by the hour when we arrived in Valletta. There was a manned tent in the port area, along the walkway between our ship and the port exit, where we were able to arrange a taxi by the hour. The tent was staffed by a person who discussed the rates with us and also discussed where we wanted to go. He wrote down the basic info on a sheet of paper and told us to take it up to the port entrance where a line of taxis was waiting. We paid the person in the tent for 4 hours. We took the paper/receipt to the first taxi in the line and he reviewed our time purchase and where we wanted to go. He spoke perfect English. He suggested we had time to add an additional stop at the Presidential Gardens that we hadn't planned on. Off we went. We went to Mdina first and then Rabat and Mosta to see the Dome. Somewhere along the way we stopped at the Gardens. The taxi would stop and let us out and tell us where to meet him when we were done. He was always waiting right where he told us he would be and we never had to wait on him for anything. We got back to Valletta a little before our 4 hours was finished, I think. We then spent the rest of the day exploring Valletta on foot and walked back down to the ship. It was a great day. I honestly don't recall how much we paid for that 4 hours, but I think it was 60 euros. But as I said, that was 8 years ago. As we had already paid, we did not have to pay the taxi driver anything more. However, we did give him a nice tip, as we thoroughly enjoyed his conversation and unofficial tour guide commentary thru the morning.

We've booked a private tour with Malcolm Ellul for his Game of Thrones Tour....Malta Film Tours. So excited to take this tour during our port stop next May...lot's of good reviews for this tour.