Afternoon tea Gibraltar

Hi

I am from Gibraltar so hopefully can answer your question. There are other options.

I last went for Afternoon Tea at the Rock Hotel in 2017. The overall experience was good for my family. Tea on the terrace is lovely (we had to ask to go outside as everyone was sitting in the airconditioned comfort of the lounge). The food in general was good, I was the only one in the party that ordered the classic Afternoon Tea at £14.95. Honestly I thought it was not great. It may have been an off day - the sandwiches were not freshly made (I should have complained at the time but it was a party and I didn't want to sour the atmosphere) and I have had better cakes.

So would I recommend?? The whole thing is about the "colonial experience" and the wonderful view. It really is lovely If you ordered a pot of tea and something from their afternoon menu like scones, then you can't go wrong.

There are other places that do afternoon tea.

1. The Caleta Hotel at Catalan Bay (you need to catch a number 4 bus that goes once an hour, or take a taxi which is charged on the meter and I guess would be about £7 if you pick it up in Casemates.) Catalan Bay is cute little fishing village on the east side of the Rock. It is a popular beach in the summer. The hotel is a 4* I think. It is many years since I had Afternoon Tea there but I recall it being good at the time.

2. The Sunborn Yacht hotel does afternoon tea but calls it High Tea. High Tea is not Afternoon Tea for an explanation of the difference see

https://www.ohhowcivilized.com/afternoon-tea-101-afternoon-tea-and-high-tea-definitions/

But despite the error in the name I would expect it to be good. The only thing is that they serve it in an inside lounge and so you don't get the views that you get in the Rock and the Caleta. For me it is fun to go on the Sunborn because you are going onto a ship. I think it would be less exciting for someone who is coming off a ship.

3. The Waterfront at Queensway Quay does Afternoon Tea. My family visit regularly to take tea there in the afternoon but have never ordered their "Afternoon Tea" so cannot vouch for the quality. The surroundings are lovely - a really relaxed atmosphere. A short walk from Main Street through the park.

I am surprised that the Mons Calpe Suite at the top cable car station does not do Afternoon Tea. There is nothing on the menu. I am sure there are other places but nothing iconic.

Hi

I am from Gibraltar so hopefully can answer your question. There are other options.

I last went for Afternoon Tea at the Rock Hotel in 2017. The overall experience was good for my family. Tea on the terrace is lovely (we had to ask to go outside as everyone was sitting in the airconditioned comfort of the lounge). The food in general was good, I was the only one in the party that ordered the classic Afternoon Tea at £14.95. Honestly I thought it was not great. It may have been an off day - the sandwiches were not freshly made (I should have complained at the time but it was a party and I didn't want to sour the atmosphere) and I have had better cakes.

So would I recommend?? The whole thing is about the "colonial experience" and the wonderful view. It really is lovely If you ordered a pot of tea and something from their afternoon menu like scones, then you can't go wrong.

There are other places that do afternoon tea.

1. The Caleta Hotel at Catalan Bay (you need to catch a number 4 bus that goes once an hour, or take a taxi which is charged on the meter and I guess would be about £7 if you pick it up in Casemates.) Catalan Bay is cute little fishing village on the east side of the Rock. It is a popular beach in the summer. The hotel is a 4* I think. It is many years since I had Afternoon Tea there but I recall it being good at the time.

2. The Sunborn Yacht hotel does afternoon tea but calls it High Tea. High Tea is not Afternoon Tea for an explanation of the difference see

https://www.ohhowcivilized.com/afternoon-tea-101-afternoon-tea-and-high-tea-definitions/

But despite the error in the name I would expect it to be good. The only thing is that they serve it in an inside lounge and so you don't get the views that you get in the Rock and the Caleta. For me it is fun to go on the Sunborn because you are going onto a ship. I think it would be less exciting for someone who is coming off a ship.

3. The Waterfront at Queensway Quay does Afternoon Tea. My family visit regularly to take tea there in the afternoon but have never ordered their "Afternoon Tea" so cannot vouch for the quality. The surroundings are lovely - a really relaxed atmosphere. A short walk from Main Street through the park.

I am surprised that the Mons Calpe Suite at the top cable car station does not do Afternoon Tea. There is nothing on the menu. I am sure there are other places but nothing iconic.

Thanks so much --hoped you would respond. I grew up in the UK and would be quite happy with tea and really good scones + cream (a cream tea?). We will be in Gibraltar in early November of 2019 so lots of time to mull it over.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I am also a Gibraltar local and ollienbertsmum has got it pretty much spot on! 

I have had a good experience at both The Rock Hotel and The Caleta Hotel for afternoon tea so either is a decent shout. I would recommend the Caleta Hotel just for the gorgeous beach views! If you are interested in sitting near boats, there is an area called Queensway Quay that has several lovely restaurants for afternoon tea, including The Lounge and The Waterfront. All these establishments I've mentioned do have facebook pages so I would drop them a message a month or two before you head on over here to make a reservation. 

Enjoy your trip.

Rachel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2018 at 10:06 AM, Alaskanb said:

Thanks so much --hoped you would respond. I grew up in the UK and would be quite happy with tea and really good scones + cream (a cream tea?). We will be in Gibraltar in early November of 2019 so lots of time to mull it over.

Do you happen to be on The Sky Princess in November?

I am interested in going to Rock Hotel for afternoon tea, perhaps we could

share a taxi.

21 minutes ago, cristine said:

Do you happen to be on The Sky Princess in November?

I am interested in going to Rock Hotel for afternoon tea, perhaps we could

share a taxi.

No -- I'm on the Sapphire. Enjoy whatever you do.