Recommendation for Kotor Tour

Afloat

Hi-

My wife and I will be visiting Kotor on the Eurodam. The ship is in port from 8am to 2pm. I am in touch with a tour operator who is offering a tour of Perast, Our Lady of the Rocks, and Kotor or Budva, Sveti Stefan, and Kotor.

I understand that we will see Perast and Our lady of the Rocks from our ship during sail in.

I like to take pictures and the Budva tour would offer a panoramic view of Kotor Bay but Perast and Our Lady of the Rocks also seem scenic.

Which tour would be preferable?

Hi Afloat,

Those are all great spots and were all part of our tour. I would highly recommend Milo from toursbymilo.com. Milo will gave you that added touch and is very flexible if you decide to change things on the fly. He makes it all about you and is he is very passionate about his beautiful Country.

We used him as well as numerous friends and family.

http://www.toursbymilo.com

Frank

Hi-

My wife and I will be visiting Kotor on the Eurodam. The ship is in port from 8am to 2pm. I am in touch with a tour operator who is offering a tour of Perast, Our Lady of the Rocks, and Kotor or Budva, Sveti Stefan, and Kotor.

I understand that we will see Perast and Our lady of the Rocks from our ship during sail in.

I like to take pictures and the Budva tour would offer a panoramic view of Kotor Bay but Perast and Our Lady of the Rocks also seem scenic.

Which tour would be preferable?

We've just come back from an Azamara Journey cruise which also stopped in Kotor. This was actually our 3rd visit there, but this time we decided to go by ourselves - to have more flexibility with the planning of the tour, the stops and all the other stuff . I found Dimitrije (the Mont Travellers - which somebody else has also mentioned here). We did a 6 hours tour with him which included Budva, Perast and much much more (we went up and down the mountains). The price was more than reasonable too! As you don't have that much time you can opt for something shorter- like 4 hours. I recommend Dimitrije very warmly! Just mail him on monttravelers at gmail.

Miiram

We've just come back from an Azamara Journey cruise which also stopped in Kotor. This was actually our 3rd visit there, but this time we decided to go by ourselves - to have more flexibility with the planning of the tour, the stops and all the other stuff . I found Dimitrije (the Mont Travellers - which somebody else has also mentioned here). We did a 6 hours tour with him which included Budva, Perast and much much more (we went up and down the mountains). The price was more than reasonable too! As you don't have that much time you can opt for something shorter- like 4 hours. I recommend Dimitrije very warmly! Just mail him on monttravelers at gmail.

Miiram

We visit Kotor next year, in town for the day. I know nothing about the place at all. What does one get to see on a day tour, what is the approx. cost and is it worth the money? Would we see anything in greater Kotor that is unique and we wouldn't see anywhere else. If we bypass a tour what would / should we see in town?

Edited by Beanb41

We visit Kotor next year, in town for the day. I know nothing about the place at all. What does one get to see on a day tour, what is the approx. cost and is it worth the money? Would we see anything in greater Kotor that is unique and we wouldn't see anywhere else. If we bypass a tour what would / should we see in town?

Kotor (in my view) is the "best" port in the Adriatic. The Old City itself is maybe not as impressive as Dubrovnik, but it is lovely on its own merit and the scenery around it is really exceptional. First - don't miss the entrance to the Kotor Bay. It's like a fjord.. and it just gets better and better as the ship approaches the destination. Just beautiful.

Then there is the town itself.. and of course the proximity of other beautiful places around it (Prevost, Budva, Centije and "the scary road" either down or up the mountains; we did it both ways on 2 different occasions!).

So yes - in my opinion - a tour will be well worth the money. This is a great port to do more than just the old town, because - as I mentioned before- there are many beautiful and scenic places so close to it. But of course it's up to you.

As to the cost - it will depend on how many people and with whom you will be going. We paid just now 120 Euro for 6 hours (just the 2 of us, which I consider very reasonable, compared to the price of shore excursions and the prices of tours in other places).

You can choose a longer tour - and/or share it with others (on our 3rd time there, we chose to do it by ourselves).

Now, because a picture is worth 1000 words, here are the links to our photos from all 3 visits there (alas, the album from our last visit isn't ready yet! :o)

This is the newest one (work in process!) :

whatever you decide - enjoy it!

Miriam

• Like 1

I have just returned from my cruise where the 2nd last day was Kotor. We decided to do Kotor on our own and walked up the 1200 steps to the panoramic view point. Easily achievable in 1 and a half hours. A stroll around the port, within the walls and local area can be done in under 2 hours.Guides, taxis, boat excursions are easily accessed on the day and will take you further afield. All are competing for business and offer variations at reasonable rates. We were quoted 60 euro for 3 hours sightseeing in a taxi and local boat was only 15 euro per person. The sail in/out is super. Enjoy. :)

• 5 months later...

Miiram

Thanks for the recommendation with Mont travelers! My husband I will be in Kotor in June and prefer private tours over the ship operated tours with the large busloads.

Thanks for the recommendation with Mont travelers! My husband I will be in Kotor in June and prefer private tours over the ship operated tours with the large busloads.

Hi Jen and Nick.

We are on same Constellation sailing to Adriatic and also interested in Kotor tour. Please join roll call to maybe discuss options.

Jane & Russell NZ

Glad to be of help.. The excursion with Dimitrije was one of the best private tours that we've ever had.

Enjoy your day in Kotor - it's a lovely port!

Miriam

Hi Jen and Nick.

We are on same Constellation sailing to Adriatic and also interested in Kotor tour. Please join roll call to maybe discuss options.

Jane & Russell NZ

Hi Jane and Russell. We are on the Roll Call for the June 5th Sailing. Is that the sailing you are on? If so, perhaps we can organize something.

Hi Jane and Russell. We are on the Roll Call for the June 5th Sailing. Is that the sailing you are on? If so, perhaps we can organize something.

Drat, we are on the 15th June sailing, so that is not going to work.

I have booked with Milo, so hoping it will be great

Jane

TedandAndy,

You will not be disappointed with Milo!! I first used him several years ago on our cruise and it was one fantastic day. Over the years I have referred many people to Milo including my own kids and numerous friends and family. He is very passionate, knowledgeable and flexible in making changes on the fly!

Enjoy,

Frank

Great to see this thread. We booked Mont Travelers last month for our Constellation Adriatic in July. I talked to them and worked out a unique tour with them. We are seeing Kotor Old Town, Budva, and the Lipa Cave and stopping for lunch in Citinje. The price is very reasonable for two people. It's 180 euros total for us plus 11 euros each for entrance to the Cave. We're really looking forward to that day.

• 1 month later...

My two sisters and I were in Kotor off of NCL in Sept. The day we were there there was the maximum number of cruise ships allowed in port -- we had to take a tender in from quite a distance. We had only planned on going into the village but as literally thousands of people descended upon Kotor we decided that perhaps we should hire a driver and try to see something in addition to Kotor. As you exit the port area there were a lot of men with signs offering to drive people around -- I went up to one and though I could tell he desperately wanted the fare I also realized that he didn't speak any English which was going to make travelling with him difficult. At the end of this long line of men there was a young man looking to be a driver. We quizzed him about his driving habits (we like very safe drivers) and he turned out to be a really nice kid (he's about 21 yrs old and a college student in the maritime school on scholarship). He said he would take us to Perast and we could spend an hour there and then back to Kotor (total trip about 2 hrs) for 40 Euros. His father does driving for a living and his son was obviously well schooled in how to drive customers around. We decided to take the trip with him and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our cruise. He drives his father's Mercedes station wagon which was in very good shape. He was an excellent driver -- very careful of pedestrians, cats, and bicyclists. He was also very considerate -- he would pull over to show us the great vistas,etc. On the single road to Perast all the traffic was stopped because of a terrible accident. We got out of the car for about 20 mins and realized it wasn't going to be moving for a long time. So we asked him where else could he take us? He said how about Budva? So off we went to Budva! His English was very good and it was a lot of fun to talk to him about his country,etc. When we finally ended up back in Kotor (which is a small but very very charming place) we gave him 60 Euros to which he protested saying that we were paying him too much! We insisted saying that each of us had kids in college and he had to take it. I asked him if he would like me to post his email on cruisecritic so others could contact him and he said that that would be great. He is a college student so I'm sure there will be times he can't do any driving but he does do driving through the summers. We can't recommend him highly enough -- slow cautious driver who was very considerate (when we were first getting on in Kotor he asked if we would like to use the restroom and took us to the local mall because it was much nicer than the public restrooms). His name is Pajo Bracanovic and his email is PBRACANOVIC@GMAIL.COM. The only concern I have is that the email address he wrote down did have a little slash across the top of one of the letters because it was slavic so I'm hoping this email address will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Our first port of call in June is Kotor and as this is myself and my wife's first cruise is booking an excursion through this company safe and do they collect and drop you back to the ship in plenty of time. That's my only worry about getting back in time before the ship leaves.

Thanks

Graeme

I done it with Mont Travelers too. Twice, it's always the right choice. Their web site is very useful. it is all about must see places in Montenegro around Kotor, I suggest to check it even if you decide to explore the country on your own. www.monttravelers.com Hope that you all enjoy the beautiful Montenegro.

How much time do you have in port? We typically use excursions that are not through the ship and have never had a problem. If you do decide to take an excursion I would take the excursion first and do the town of Kotor last. You can easily walk from the old part of Kotor to the port.

• 1 month later...

We are sailing on NCL in next few days and Kotor is our 1st port. Know nothing about Kotor and with so little time to research Kotor and other ports, it will be helpful to get suggestions. We are family of 4 (kids 10 and 12). We are in Kotor 2:00-8:00 p.m. What are the must see places/must do activities? I will be looking into Milo and Mont travelers. If we have to do this on our own, can someone suggest where/how to go?

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Montenegro earlier this month. What an absolutely fantastic day we had! We had a tour with Mladen Lalatovic of Montenegro M Tours. The day could not have been better than it was! Here's a link to my blog post to help get an idea about the various locations. If you only have six hours you will probably need to cut something off the list.

http://theworldthroughmylens.blog/2017/05/21/the-wow-factor/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
We were in Montenegro earlier this month. What an absolutely fantastic day we had! We had a tour with Mladen Lalatovic of Montenegro M Tours. The day could not have been better than it was! Here's a link to my blog post to help get an idea about the various locations. If you only have six hours you will probably need to cut something off the list.

We also went with this same tour company last week and we had a great day around Kotor and beyond. Highly recommend them! Montenegro is amazing!

Great pictures. Can I ask what type of camera and lense(s) you used?