Dubrovnik, Croatia Will They Accept Euros?

We will be in Dubrovnik in May. Will the local merchants accept Euros? Yes, I understand that if you want to "Walk the Wall" you will need Kuna. Yes, we will use our credit cards for large purchases. This is the only port that the local currency is in question. Euros for all others. Appreciate Folks experience in Dubrovnik. Thanks:)

You can use your credit card for the city wall and cable car. There will be some who will accept Euros, but as of last week I have begun to see more signs up "NO EUROS." If you do choose to pay with Euros be prepared to receive any change in Kunas. Perhaps it may be easier for you to use your ATM card to obtain some Kunas while in port. There is no simple answer for this question.

• 3 weeks later...

The legal currency of Croatia is the Kuna. Local vendors who accept Euros may or may not accept Euros, but you will receive any change back in Kunas. Locals are not happy to receive Euros since they must then change them into Kunas. Until Croatia has entered into the Euro Zone, the legal currency of the country is Kuna.

• 1 month later...

There was a small currency exchange office right inside the gate for the wall, and we asked how much we would have to exchange just for that. We had a little left over and bought gelato down the street. We had a ship shuttle to the walled town. Street vendors on the dock were happy to take $US. Nicole

Although it is already 6 Years ago when i was there,almost nobody took Euros,only Kuna and the ones who took euros wanted to have approx. 20% more than if paying with Kuna.

In most case you could pay with credit card,but when we paid fpr the city wall they asked us wether to debit the card with Kuna amount or Euro Amount and the Kuna amount was approx. 30 % lower !

So it seems it is better to change Euros/US Dollar to Kuna.

This as per report from my brother who was in Dubrovnik just a few weeks ago.

it is not the main tourist season, but hardly any vendors would take Euros, and when they did with some demonstrated annoyance and change in Kuna.

It may be some sort of national pride...

Well, fair enough. Their country, their rules.

But given that they are surrounded by the Euro Zone, and given the sheer number of Euro carrying tourists, they are not very customer focused.

Accepting Euros has nothing to do with customer service. Croatian Kuna is the ONLY legal currency of the country. Only 17 countries of the European Union are part of the Euro Zone, which is an organization which members have made the Euro their countries legal currency. These are not rules, they are the law.

We were in Dubrovnik two weeks ago.

As already said, Kuna or Credit Card is needed to walk the wall.

At the port, the taxis advertised the fare to Pile Gate as €13 (thirteen euro) for up to 4 persons. The taxis also accepted Euro for the return trip.

Shops were a mixed bag. Some did and some didn't. We just asked if they accepted euro and if they didnt accept them we just moved on. Those that did accept euro gave any change back in Kuna. A lot of restaurants showed prices in euro.

For information, the Rector's Palace is closed to the public until May 31st for restoration work.

Why would they accept Euros, those that do make it worth their while. We were in Dubrovnik twice last year and found only about 10/20% were taking them, mostly tourist shops and some no coins only notes.

It's the same as assuming that dollars are ok in London , they are not!! Equally in the states on the Canadian border the Canadian dollar is not accepted in Detroit, Buffalo, Seattle. However CCs are widely taken and a contactless debit card is now the way many places prefer. This could cause issues for many Americans, as I gather these are rare in the USA and not generally available from US banks.

Most under 35's now use these most of the time, to stop needing cash, especially coinage.

Why would they accept Euros, those that do make it worth their while. We were in Dubrovnik twice last year and found only about 10/20% were taking them, mostly tourist shops and some no coins only notes.

It's the same as assuming that dollars are ok in London , they are not!! Equally in the states on the Canadian border the Canadian dollar is not accepted in Detroit, Buffalo, Seattle. However CCs are widely taken and a contactless debit card is now the way many places prefer. This could cause issues for many Americans, as I gather these are rare in the USA and not generally available from US banks.

Most under 35's now use these most of the time, to stop needing cash, especially coinage.

I have travelled to many European destinations where I don't have any local currency, so just pay by card.

Contactless seems to be the way we are going. In the past few months whenever I have been in a U.K. Museum shop or coffee shop I have been asked if it is OK to swipe my card to make a contactless payment. It is a very easy way to pay and Transport for London only let you pay that way.

Why should a business in Croatia accept Euros, it's not the legal tender. The legal tender is Kuna. Would I be able to spend Euros in Cincinnati? I don't think so.

I booked a private tour ahead of time and the gentleman running the company asked for payment in Euros. I don't know the answer to your question and I made the deposit payment in euros and will pay the remainder that way.

The entire price quote was in euros, so exchange rate not a factor and I paid on PayPal.

Well, it would of been a factor as the price would have been converted from Kuna to Euros. I would want to know how much the cost would have been in the original currency to make a comparison and know what the real price is.

Well, it would of been a factor as the price would have been converted from Kuna to Euros. I would want to know how much the cost would have been in the original currency to make a comparison and know what the real price is.

I don't know what the price would have been in kuna and there are no prices on the website. His company had extremely high ratings on Trip Advisor and I was comfortable with his price for a private tour. He is a licensed guide and the price seemed competitive with other Dubrovnik guides that I researched after converting to dollars.

I don't know what the price would have been in kuna and there are no prices on the website. His company had extremely high ratings on Trip Advisor and I was comfortable with his price for a private tour. He is a licensed guide and the price seemed competitive with other Dubrovnik guides that I researched after converting to dollars.

I am in this same situation. We have booked a private tour (Dubrovnik Shore Tours), very highly rated on trip adviser and suggested multiple times on these boards as well. Quote, very reasonable, and deposit were Euros. I am fine with that. However, wondering how much to tip. Travel Croatia suggests about 20 Kuna for tour guides, but that amounts to less than 3 Euro. That seems very low for a full day private tour!

hubofhockey, I would be interested to know what you are planning to tip if you feel like sharing. (and if that won't open a whole other can of worms!)

I am in this same situation. We have booked a private tour (Dubrovnik Shore Tours), very highly rated on trip adviser and suggested multiple times on these boards as well. Quote, very reasonable, and deposit were Euros. I am fine with that. However, wondering how much to tip. Travel Croatia suggests about 20 Kuna for tour guides, but that amounts to less than 3 Euro. That seems very low for a full day private tour!

hubofhockey, I would be interested to know what you are planning to tip if you feel like sharing. (and if that won't open a whole other can of worms!)

Same company. 200 euros for a private tour for the two of us. Good question on tips. At a minimum 10 euros or its equivalent.

Are they asking for your balance in euros or kuna? I was figuring on euros.

The vendors are breaking the law, but they do not care. Personally that would be enough to make me not want to work with them. If you pay by credit card, the only currency that can be charged in Croatian Kuna. If you want to pay with Euros, do so! Your money, your tour...

Same company. 200 euros for a private tour for the two of us. Good question on tips. At a minimum 10 euros or its equivalent.

Are they asking for your balance in euros or kuna? I was figuring on euros.

Balance in Euros, cash. Or paypal with their service charge included. It is easy for me to get Euros ahead of time at my bank, for a reasonable exchange rate. Not so much kuna. So I am perfectly happy to pay in Euro, rather than have to spend time on my paid tour going to an ATM. Also, I will be able to use any extra Euro at my next port, rather than be stuck with cash I can't use.

The vendors are breaking the law, but they do not care. Personally that would be enough to make me not want to work with them. If you pay by credit card, the only currency that can be charged in Croatian Kuna. If you want to pay with Euros, do so! Your money, your tour...

This is interesting. If this practice is enough to render a tour company undesirable, one would think some companies would advertise that they charge in local currency as a selling point. I corresponded with several of the top-rated tour companies and they all quoted me in Euros. It was such a non-issue that I didn't even realize this was not a legal currency in Croatia. I'm not sure what US tourists are expected to do about this. When booking tours from far away, in an unfamiliar environment, I rely heavily on public reviews. I'm not comfortable going with a company that does not have many ratings and much positive feedback. I also don't need a rock-bottom bargain for a day tour. I am happy to pay a little more if that results in the convenience of a currency with which I am familiar, and at least passing confidence that a guide will not abandon my family far from port.

Paypal is not a credit transaction even if payer uses a credit card. Seller gets cash.

To me, undesirable is poor Trip Advisor ratings. This company has excellent reviews and also great reviews on Cruise Critic. The gentleman I am dealing with has been great. Looking forward to the tour.

Whatever anyone tells you, on this forum or anywhere else, it is absolutely forbidden by law for any business to accept EUROS in Cash - only Credit Cards. Period!!!!

You will need Kuna even for an ice cream!!!!

Whatever anyone tells you, on this forum or anywhere else, it is absolutely forbidden by law for any business to accept EUROS in Cash - only Credit Cards. Period!!!!

You will need Kuna even for an ice cream!!!!

I found this on the Croation Traveler website.

The exchange rate of the Croatian kuna is fixed and tied to the euro but Croatia is not (yet) in the eurozone. Without getting into the difference between a floating rate and a fixed rate, suffice it to say that this system allows the government to make kunas more expensive in the summer when tourists arrive in order to gain foreign currency.

Hotels, excursions, private accommodation and plane tickets are usually priced in euros and you can pay in either euros or kuna.

This all seems reasonable and our guide would probably accept kuna, but paying in euros will be easier.

• 2 weeks later...

We did our day in Dubrovnik two days ago and had zero issues using Euros. We did not walk the wall but we did buy gelato, beer, and a souvenir with euros. Our guides were great, and also were happy to receive tips in euro, even though we did offer to get kuna.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums