Durres (Tirana) Albania

Were there last year on the Navigator. We booked a full day tour to Tirana and Kruje. Where we visited a castle and museum of rural life. Lunch was ok but the local wine was an acquired taste, Albania was an insight into a once closed Country with downtown Tirana and its little bunkers a view of the past under Enva Hoxha . Poverty is obvious in the countryside where horse drawn carts were visible, and older buildings look quite run down. Few opportunities to buy as nobody has the local lek currency ,some places took Euros, but hard to know if reasonable as lek is not a readily convertible currency.

However very different from touristy locations, enjoy and see another world, Durres was a commercial port saw little as we bussed through it, would have thought little here for the tourist.

Been there twice (on HAL) and will admit it is not our favorite port. But the city is quite walkable (from the ship) and has potential if the country ever gets its financial act together.

Hank

We were there last year on a different cruiseline and opted for the same Kruje/Tirana shorex. I could recommend it depending on your interests.

We were happy with that tour as it gave us an insight into both rural and city living in Albania which is a rather unusual country. It was a real mix of scenery. The views from Kruje were spectacular on a clear day. Our lunch in Tirana was served in the Sky Tower with panoramic views of the city and mountains.

Cannot comment on the wine because we were given water with our lunch!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Roman Amphitheater in the center of Durres. When we visited it 5 years ago, there was not a single other tourist in sight. It is still not fully excavated and parts of the site have houses built against it, but being able to explore these ruins was fascinating. There are even some mosaics still on the walls from Byzantine period. We were on a private week-long tour of Albania when we saw these ruins, but I would imagine you could hire a taxi to take you there and wait during your visit..

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Roman Amphitheater in the center of Durres. When we visited it 5 years ago, there was not a single other tourist in sight. It is still not fully excavated and parts of the site have houses built against it, but being able to explore these ruins was fascinating. There are even some mosaics still on the walls from Byzantine period. We were on a private week-long tour of Albania when we saw these ruins, but I would imagine you could hire a taxi to take you there and wait during your visit..

The last time we walked by that site there were a bunch of local kids playing football (soccer) inside (on the ruins). There seems to be little effort to keep those ruins from becoming more ruined. It is within easy walking distance from the cruise pier.

Hank

I didn't realize the amphitheater was so near the cruise ship port. I agree...many of Albania's historical sites need more attention by their government to prevent further decline. But isn't that all the more reason to visit them sooner rather than later?

• 3 months later...
Regent has this new one, I believe.

Has anyone had any experience with this port?

Albania has recently been added to the itinerary for some cruise lines operating in the Adriatic Sea. We recently made a port call at the Albanian port of Durres on the Holland America Prinsendam and took a tour to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Berat: A City of a Thousand Windows. Our guide, Dr. Ols Lafe, was one of the most knowledgeable and interesting guides that we ever had on any shore excursion.Dr. Lafe is an Archaeologist and has served as the Director of Cultural Heritage and President of the Republic Advisor on Cultural Heritage for the Albanian government. He was recently named as Dean of Archaeology for the University of Tirana in Albania. He works part-time as a national tour guide and lecturer. I highly recommend this gentleman.I suggest contacting him regarding tours from the ports Durres and Saranda. This is a very unique and interesting country. His email address is olslafe@gmail.com and his telephone number is +355 662016160

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I wanted to update an earlier post about shore excursions in Albania. I received a message from the guide we used there a couple of years ago. He wanted to make me aware of the increase in the number of cruise ships making port calls at several ports in Albania and to thank me for the increased business he has received as a result of my posts on Cruise Critic. Cruise ships are now making ports calls to a couple of ports in Albania and Dr. Ols can arrange interesting, custom-tours from both of these ports. I still highly recommend the services of Dr. Ols. See his contact information below.

Dr. Ols Lafe

Archaeologist

National Tour Guide

Mobile. +355 67 6303000

Email. olslafe@gmail.com

Edited by Cruzer Two
  • Like 1