On board movie questions

cltdad

Just off the Fantasy and was curious about timing of movies. Why do they start some of the more recent movies at such inopportune times? For example, I really wanted to see Guardians 2 or Spiderman Homecoming but they were either smack dab in the middle of a main theater show (or dinner depending on your seating) or started at 10:45. Also, they had the Sing and Scream and it started at 10:45 on the last night of the cruise. It was offered one other time but also late too. How in the world do they expect you to go to bed at 1:30 and get up to get off the ship 5 hours later or go to excursions. Anyone know why they do this scheduling? It seems like the theater was empty for blocks of time from 6 onward. Why not move the start times up or am I missing something?

Just off the Fantasy and was curious about timing of movies. Why do they start some of the more recent movies at such inopportune times? For example, I really wanted to see Guardians 2 or Spiderman Homecoming but they were either smack dab in the middle of a main theater show (or dinner depending on your seating) or started at 10:45. Also, they had the Sing and Scream and it started at 10:45 on the last night of the cruise. It was offered one other time but also late too. How in the world do they expect you to go to bed at 1:30 and get up to get off the ship 5 hours later or go to excursions. Anyone know why they do this scheduling? It seems like the theater was empty for blocks of time from 6 onward. Why not move the start times up or am I missing something?

Just another one of the "which should I choose?" questions when planning onboard activities.

We've typically gone to the movie in the afternoon (around 3:00), or in the morning (that pesky 10:45 time). And once in a while late night (9:00 or so).

They do use the theaters for other events, that's why they don't typically run movies one after another.

I imagine the reason they stop running movies after 6 is because they want to encourage you to go see the live shows after dinner. I have only been able to catch one movie and that's when I stayed on the boat when we were docked at Castaway. It was really the only thing, besides the pool, to do on the ship while docked. I enjoy watching the movies on Funnel Vision while hanging out in the pool. But those aren't first run movies, which is ok with me. I love the classics! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On one of our sailings we were at sea the day the latest Thor movie opened in theaters, they held a screening at 12:01 AM that Friday so we got to see it the same time the late night screenings started on land. We thought that was kid of cool. The other interesting experience we had was watching an action movie in 3D while at sea, it was a different experience having the sense of motion in 3D from the film combined with the slight movement we felt from the ship, not enough to create any motion sickness but it did feel "different"

i wish they ran movies in the buena vista theater all night long.

i'm a night owl. we go for walks late at night, after everyone is asleep. If there were a movie in the theater, i would love that.

as for special movie events - when we were on the Disney Wonder (a long time ago - 2002), they had a special screening of Lilo & Stitch when it debuted.

They screened it in the Walt Disney Theater - actually they showed it twice so the whole ship could see it.

It was in the middle of the afternoon (so it wouldn't conflict with the evening shows).

As it happened, it was on Nassau Day.

i remember racing back to the ship, madly ordering room service and getting everyone showered and fed so we could make it to the movie in time. That was the only movie i've ever managed to see on a disney ship. And that was in the walt disney theater. I've never seen one in the buena vista theater.

Typically, if you happen to be on board on the day of a movie release, they do a PremEar at Sea at 12:01am in the WDT. We've also seen simultaneous showings in the WDT and the BVT when the lines at the WDT got long (this happened for one of the Avengers films). Then they show the same movie a couple more times during the cruise--typically daytime hours, like mid-afternoon, often again in the WDT. If a movie premiered the week before, they'll have several showings during the cruise. We've seen midnight and 3am films in the BVT. No, they don't run movies all night long, but they do show some.

In fairness, most of our cruises are 7 nights or longer, and I have noticed that the longer a cruise is, the more movies are shown as well as the more repeats of a new film.

Typically' date=' if you happen to be on board on the day of a movie release, they do a PremEar at Sea at 12:01am in the WDT. We've also seen simultaneous showings in the WDT and the BVT when the lines at the WDT got long (this happened for one of the Avengers films). Then they show the same movie a couple more times during the cruise--typically daytime hours, like mid-afternoon, often again in the WDT. If a movie premiered the week before, they'll have several showings during the cruise. We've seen midnight and 3am films in the BVT. No, they don't run movies all night long, but they do show some.

In fairness, most of our cruises are 7 nights or longer, and I have noticed that the longer a cruise is, the more movies are shown as well as the more repeats of a new film.[/quote']

yes, lilo and stitch debuted the weekend right before our cruise....

we boarded the ship on the 4th of july....

that was our first disney cruise, so only 3 days...the only day they could screen the movie was nassau day (on the 5th)..

in general that was an interesting cruise...it was the first 4th of july after 9/11 and there had been lots of speculation beforehand that disney would be a target on the 4th of july - either a ship or WDW....

(well, it was said that disney was a target in general - the 4th being one of the days people focused on)..

no one wanted to sail that week - so the vast majority of the staterooms had to be sold at the last minute at crazily steep discounts to floridians (basically disney paid people to fill the ship)...

anyway, it was a great cruise!!!!...

• 1 month later...

We are cruising on the Wonder Jan 21st-28th. There are some new movies out or coming out from Disney that we were going to hold off seeing until the cruise. They are Thor, Coco, and the Last Jedi. Would you say that there is a pretty good chance they will be showing all of these? Thanks.

It is likely that all three will be showing. Whether you arrange your schedule so that you can watch all three is basically up to you. As noted in the original post, DCL schedules things so that they overlap in order to spread out the guests. There is no venue other than an open deck where all the people on board can exist at once. SO, the issue is not whether it will be possible to see all three movies in a 7 day cruise--it is possible. The question is what other activities you may need to forego in order to see the films.

Thanks. One more question, is it likely that we will have time to watch all three on a 7 day cruise with 2 days at sea?

that depends on you...

for me it would be impossible as in all my cruises, long and short, i've never managed to see even a single movie in the buena vista theater!!!

but my daughter always manages on her cruises with her husband...

and given those particular movies, i'm sure she would arrange her schedule to make it possible!! :)

Thanks. One more question, is it likely that we will have time to watch all three on a 7 day cruise with 2 days at sea?

I managed to get two of my movies seen over a 4-day cruise, and three if I'd remembered to save the third for the trip--there's only about six or seven different movies being rotated on a 4-day, unless it's a "theme" cruise with special SW/Marvel showings--and it's only a mixup that kept me from seeing one of the 3-D showings. (Forgot which was the BVT, went to the WDT and missed the showing...Fortunately, the live musical was just starting.)

Pretty sure you'll have enough time to see anything from a 7-day rotation, there's no need to rush to get all three out of the way before the good stuff...Unless, of course, you want to free up your schedule for the lounges, parties and live shows.

And all three look good, but don't feel badly if you think the new Thor is a bit "too goofy"--Fan backlash is starting to agree that Thor's director may have abused his privilege somewhat trying to make his movie "Guardians of the Galaxy-style" :rolleyes: , but it's certainly not as bad as the second one was. At least core Disney-travel fans will get ONE joke in the movie.

There are typically more movies being shown on a 7 night than on a 4 night...usually 10-11 films across the 6 1/2 days.

I was quite surprised when we did a 14 night that we had two totally different sets of movies, one for each week. I chose to not see a film the first week, thinking I'd catch it the second week and it was off the schedule. Oh well....