Need Advice on Amsterdam Hotel

wandergal

We will be arriving in Amsterdam on June 21, 2019 for a cruise leaving port on the next day. Since our plane will arrive early in the morning, we will have one day to do a little sightseeing. I have read all the recommendations on hotels in Amsterdam and many are quite nice. My problem - whether to book a hotel close to the port or one in the city central. My husband is disabled and will have either a wheelchair or his mobility scooter with him and two others in our party of six have some trouble walking long distances.

We have never been to Amsterdam and want to see a few of the sights. Any suggestions on the best choice or options when considering that some are not able to walk long distances, etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps these may help you choose:

https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/plan-your-trip/practical-info/disabled-travellers

https://www.sagetraveling.com/amsterdam-wheelchair-accessible-travel-tips

Is you ship leaving from Amsterdam cruise terminal? That's very close to the north of the city center.

Attractions like the Van Gogh Museum, the Rijksmuseum, and the Stedelijk Museum are all located close to each other South of the city center.

The Banks Mansion hotel is FANTASTIC!! Best breakfast room and food I've ever had in a hotel. There was the coolest fresh orange juice machine that cuts and squeezes the oranges while you watch. The hotel is on a corner, at a canal, fairly central. They book quickly, so I would check soon.

When we don't have alot of time to sightsee, we take taxis....worth the cost to get somewhere quickly and maximize the time. We caught taxis right outside the hotel or they will call one for you.

I can get a really good deal at The Renaissance by the airport. How is public transportation to city center from here? Also, is there a train station close so that we can explore? Thank you!

Amsterdam is a rather compact city, so almost any location will be o.k. Cabs and Uber are also available.

You will need the hotel shuttle back/to the the airport. From there downstairs in the large hall you will find the trainstation. Tickets can be bought in the machine or with a small surcharge at the window. Many frequent trains each hour to Centraal Station.

I can get a really good deal at The Renaissance by the airport. How is public transportation to city center from here? Also, is there a train station close so that we can explore? Thank you!

There are two The Renaissance Hotels: One's in the city center and the other one (Renaissance Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Hotel) is in the middle of nowhere.

I’m sure that’s the reason for the excellent rate ;) i’ll Keep my res with Moxy then-thanks!

There are two The Renaissance Hotels: One's in the city center and the other one (Renaissance Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Hotel) is in the middle of nowhere.

The Banks Mansion hotel is FANTASTIC!! Best breakfast room and food I've ever had in a hotel. There was the coolest fresh orange juice machine that cuts and squeezes the oranges while you watch. The hotel is on a corner, at a canal, fairly central. They book quickly, so I would check soon.

When we don't have alot of time to sightsee, we take taxis....worth the cost to get somewhere quickly and maximize the time. We caught taxis right outside the hotel or they will call one for you.

Great to hear! We just booked Banks Mansion for 4 nights pre-cruise next summer. We went back and forth between AirBnb, Banks Mansion, Hotel Estherea and the Radisson Blu. Decided on Banks Mansion due to the "perks" you mention. Looking forward to it!