** Best beach to go to**

Dalton51

Never been here and we are wanting a beach day. Maybe with a beach bar?

Something like Jack Shack in GT if we can find something like this close to the port.

Thanks for the help.

Nothing close to the port. You'll find plenty with a taxi ride, along with the Cruise Herds.

But well away from the Herds, sadly there is now only one place remaining, this being Sunshine's on Nevis.

Do your research on CC for all the mainland bars, then make your choice.

St Kitts is not known for their beaches, however depending on what your looking for you can find a beach bar.

Frigate Bay- beach closest to the the port (approx. 10 min taxi ride) $4.00.. USD per person each way. Shared taxi

Bars of interest: Shiggidy Shack and Vibes.

Shiddigy is your rustic bar, good food and drinks. Lounge chairs not the greatest- throwback from the 80/90's . Chairs are free.

Vibes- good food new chairs and umbrellas. Chairs are $5.00 USD Umbrellas are $10

South Friars:

Approx 15 minutes from port, passes over Timothy Hill (picture op.) 2 places of interest: Carmabola and Shipwreck. Shared taxi is $4.00 per person each way

Carmobola is upper scale beach club, food and drink and paid chairs and umbrellas. Most cruise passengers are dropped off there.

Shipwreck- at the opposite end of the beach . Laid back rustic bar, lots of expats. Food is good, monkey sightings and chairs are throwbacks to the 90's but free. The beach part is eroding, but I had friends there last month and they said it wasn't bad at all.

Cockleshell:

Furthest beach on the island, approx 25 minutes from port. Shared taxi is $7.00 per person each way

2 bars:

Reggae- rustic, chairs are throw backs to the 90's. Crowded as most taxis drop their guests off there. Never ate there or stayed too crowded.

Spice Mill - good food and drinks, new chairs and umbrellas $5.00 USD for chairs $10 for umbrellas. Clean bathrooms, showers.

Cockleshell has the best views of Nevis which is right across the narrows.

Hope this helps

St Kitts is not known for their beaches, however depending on what your looking for you can find a beach bar.

Frigate Bay- beach closest to the the port (approx. 10 min taxi ride) $4.00.. USD per person each way. Shared taxi

Bars of interest: Shiggidy Shack and Vibes.

Shiddigy is your rustic bar, good food and drinks. Lounge chairs not the greatest- throwback from the 80/90's . Chairs are free.

Vibes- good food new chairs and umbrellas. Chairs are $5.00 USD Umbrellas are $10

South Friars:

Approx 15 minutes from port, passes over Timothy Hill (picture op.) 2 places of interest: Carmabola and Shipwreck. Shared taxi is $4.00 per person each way

Carmobola is upper scale beach club, food and drink and paid chairs and umbrellas. Most cruise passengers are dropped off there.

Shipwreck- at the opposite end of the beach . Laid back rustic bar, lots of expats. Food is good, monkey sightings and chairs are throwbacks to the 90's but free. The beach part is eroding, but I had friends there last month and they said it wasn't bad at all.

Cockleshell:

Furthest beach on the island, approx 25 minutes from port. Shared taxi is $7.00 per person each way

2 bars:

Reggae- rustic, chairs are throw backs to the 90's. Crowded as most taxis drop their guests off there. Never ate there or stayed too crowded.

Spice Mill - good food and drinks, new chairs and umbrellas $5.00 USD for chairs $10 for umbrellas. Clean bathrooms, showers.

Cockleshell has the best views of Nevis which is right across the narrows.

Hope this helps

Which one would you go to we just want clear water and soft sand...

Thanks for the help.

Which one would you go to we just want clear water and soft sand...

Thanks for the help.

Spice Mill at Cockleshell Beach is my favorite beach bar, the further south you go away from the volcano the better the sand. A very close second is Shipwreck - it's not fancy but I loved the rustic feel.

Spice Mill at Cockleshell Beach is my favorite beach bar, the further south you go away from the volcano the better the sand. A very close second is Shipwreck - it's not fancy but I loved the rustic feel.

Do you both have blue blue see through water?

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Cockleshell and also Friars.

I have reviews of both of them, listed in my signature line. Just expand the signature and click on the link. There's TONS of pictures. It might help you decide.

We personally enjoyed Friars more. If you have never seen a black sand beach, right down from Carambola on Friars has it and it is the most amazing thing ever. It sparkles like diamonds in the sand. So pretty!

• Like 1

I've been to Cockleshell and Shipwreck (South Friar's Bay). We liked South Friar's Bay more. The first few times we went to Shipwreck, the beach had plently of sand. Last year, April 2016, there was hardly any sand left on the beach and the water was pretty close to the chairs. They didn't charge us for the chairs. It's still beautiful there but maybe go to the same beach but different area.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to Cockleshell and Shipwreck (South Friar's Bay). We liked South Friar's Bay more. The first few times we went to Shipwreck, the beach had plently of sand. Last year, April 2016, there was hardly any sand left on the beach and the water was pretty close to the chairs. They didn't charge us for the chairs. It's still beautiful there but maybe go to the same beach but different area.

I think South Friars is terrible as there is a bit of Beach OK - BUT you can not go into the water as there is so many sharp rocks!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/discoverybeachbarskb/

Discovery beach bar on Friars - Liz Pereira arranged for transport to this slice of heaven see her on facebook for tours and reliable transport while visiting the island: https://www.facebook.com/liz.pereira.792?fref=ufi . This is as authentic as it comes.

The proprietor, Morsey, is laid back and keeps an immaculate and welcoming space for those looking for a relaxing easy vibe. Bob Marley wafted gently as we enjoyed our loungers under the palms. Bathrooms were clean and fully plumbed. We had the best meal of our cruise - the fish was spectacular and those famous wings are delectable.

A great relaxing day and the best day of our cruise - we will be back for certain!

• 6 months later...
Do any of these beaches have good snorkelling? Are they all ok for swimming? I like to spend by time in the water, but my mum will be looking for a comfortable chair :)

There is a reef (which parallels the beach) just off the beach (or what is left of the beach) at the Shipwreck part of South Friars. The only way to snorkel this reef is to work your way outside the reef (sea side) and then swim parallel to the shore (moving towards your right (in the direction of the Carmobola Beach Club (far in the distance). If the water is relatively calms you will spot some interesting sealife and there is still spots of the reef that are very much alive. But if there are any kind of swells or a lot of wave action, it can stir up some of the sand....and might be a challenge for some who do not have the skills to handle some turbulence when close to a reef. We have had pretty good snorkel conditions there 4 of our last 5 visits. But last year (in early December) it was pretty rough. In fact DW (who is a pretty accomplished snorkeler and diver) decided to not even go in the water. I did snorkel for about 1/2 hour...but it was more work then fun. Bottom line...if the conditions are not good....its not worth the trouble.

Hank

I think South Friars is terrible as there is a bit of Beach OK - BUT you can not go into the water as there is so many sharp rocks!:eek:

I was there last week at Discovery Beach Bar and there were zero rocks going into the water.

It was fantastic, Carambola looks lame, but Ship Wreck and Discovery were great.

I was there last week at Discovery Beach Bar and there were zero rocks going into the water.

It was fantastic, Carambola looks lame, but Ship Wreck and Discovery were great.

Was there any beach left in front of Ship Wreck?

Hank

I can see Carambola and Ship Wreck on goggle maps, but not Discovery. Where is it roughly, half way in between the two, or nearer to Ship Wreck?

Nothing close to the port.

But well away from the Herds, sadly there is now only one place remaining, this being Sunshine's on Nevis.

This is always my destination - with several Killer Bees!

An additional benefit at Sunshine's as of my last visit in March - wifi, strong enough to make a face time phone call.

I sat on the beach, sipping a Killer Bee, and called jealous friends back home.

I can see Carambola and Ship Wreck on goggle maps, but not Discovery. Where is it roughly, half way in between the two, or nearer to Ship Wreck?

Would say equal distance between the two. We walked maybe 5 minutes tops from Carambola

along the water to Discovery. There was also a Beach Bar beside Discovery, not sure what it was called.

There were people doing Yoga there when we first arrived.

• 3 months later...
https://www.facebook.com/discoverybeachbarskb/

Discovery beach bar on Friars - Liz Pereira arranged for transport to this slice of heaven see her on facebook for tours and reliable transport while visiting the island: https://www.facebook.com/liz.pereira.792?fref=ufi . This is as authentic as it comes.

The proprietor, Morsey, is laid back and keeps an immaculate and welcoming space for those looking for a relaxing easy vibe. Bob Marley wafted gently as we enjoyed our loungers under the palms. Bathrooms were clean and fully plumbed. We had the best meal of our cruise - the fish was spectacular and those famous wings are delectable.

A great relaxing day and the best day of our cruise - we will be back for certain!

Do you remember how long from the cruise port until the bar? Do you know if we could get a taxi there? And how could we make it back? Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Great snorkeling at Carambola last week, saw a large sea turtle, a lion fish, a large blowfish, and lots of other interesting things. The most interesting was around the back of the rocks that form the little pier. If you go far along there be careful of the currents, it is tougher swimming back. There is a little lagoon at the right hand end of Camabola which is safer for less confident swimmers, but you need aqua shoes to get in there.

Eliminate all that nonsense cough up the $35 per person and do the St. Kitts Marriott day pass. So. Friars/ Frigate Bay been to all of them Carambola :rolleyes:. No way to compare any of them to the sand, beaches, vibe and layout of the Marriott, pool is awesome, the swim up bar cant be beat, I forgot to mention an actual REAL beach tons of room and endless beach. Marriott on St. Kitts there really is no comparison on the island, none. Hope that helps Todd