Thinking of trying a private tour company in Cozumel, any suggestions?

LB_NJ

Do you have a ballpark cost for 3 to 5 people for a 4 hour tour?

Its listed on the website plus suggestions of places to go.

https://toursplaza.com/prices

We have used this company many times. Never seen prices listed for Black Hat.

Taxi prices are listed on the boards at dispatch. Cars will take up to 4 people (but it will be a squash) - 5 will definitely need a van - $100 for 3 hours/$150 for 4

Edited by c-leg5

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2018 at 10:16 PM, mawvkysc said:

Black Hat quoted me $210 for 5 hrs and 6 people. Said they provide bottled water too.

Just got back No water provided. We were underwhelmed with our driver. May be worth the extra amount for Tours Plaza. 

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

Does anybody with experience with Tourplaza know where they pick up, and if we could be dropped off at one of the beach clubs after our tour?

They will be picked up at the pier dispatch area. You need to book in advance so they can get clearance from the taxi union. They will drop you wherever  you want. If you want a 3-4 hour tour and then get dropped off somewhere and get an independent taxi back thats OK. Just make sure you get dropped off somewhere in the tourist zone to be sure of picking up a return taxi.

we have done many tours with them, enjoy your day!

1 hour ago, FrankNBrew said:

Nothing is booked yet. Just looking at options. Thank you! 

By the way, do you think they would pick us up for a tour at one of the beach clubs? So we could spend the morning on the beach, and tour after? 

Yes.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, cruisetimeusa said:

We did a tour with Black Hat tours in November and while the driver was ok, I had to ask him questions in order for him to speak.  Nothing much to see.  We didn't go to the beach.

I wouldn't do the tour again.

I am sorry the tour didn’t work out as expected, did you have Crescencio himself or does he have a pool of drivers now?

May I ask where you visited since Cozumel is an island and most activities are centered on watersports, or the beach?

Did the driver make suggestions of where to visit, or did you research and decide in advance what you were interested in?

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I am sorry the tour didn’t work out as expected, did you have Crescencio himself or does he have a pool of drivers now?

May I ask where you visited since Cozumel is an island and most activities are centered on watersports, or the beach?

Did the driver make suggestions of where to visit, or did you research and decide in advance what you were interested in?

Yes,it was with Crescencio.  Nice man, just quiet.  We basically drove around the touristy places, saw no crocodiles, and ended up at the ruins.  Our husbands went into the ruins, but the ladies just shopped there.  He did take us to a local restaurant for lunch which we treated him to.  The lunch was very inexpensive.

56 minutes ago, cruisetimeusa said:

Yes,it was with Crescencio.  Nice man, just quiet.  We basically drove around the touristy places, saw no crocodiles, and ended up at the ruins.  Our husbands went into the ruins, but the ladies just shopped there.  He did take us to a local restaurant for lunch which we treated him to.  The lunch was very inexpensive.

Sounds like you basically drove round the island, which we enjoy as we have done it many times, but we stop off here and there at our favorite locations. Not sure where you expected to see crocodiles unless you paid to enter Punta Sur and climb the lighthouse? The sea water crocodiles are completely wild and there is no saying where you will find them, (sometimes not where you want to!) but  i have only ever seen them at Punta Sur and Palancar.

There are a lot of new “tourist” attractions in recent years but we havent been to any of them and since you didn't list any I assume perhaps you are referring to San Miguel?

The ruins are interesting, especially if you take the jungle walk, but very small and insignificant compared to the mainland ruins and certainly not a must-see, first time attraction on the island. 

Hopefully if you visit Cozumel again you will find something more to your liking.

Edited by c-leg5

We just got back from Cozumel and did a 6 hour tour with Crescencio at Black Hat including Punta Sur, the east side, Pueblo del Maiz, and San Miguel. We found him to be extremely personable and accommodating. He pointed out numerous places of interest and let us take all the pictures we wanted. In fact, he even sang some Mexican Christmas carols for us. Out of 25+ private tours I've taken, he is my all-time favorite. No smoking or foul language around my asthmatic son, no steering us toward things we weren't interested in, no stretching out the tour to pad his pocket (OK 6 hours is plenty but...)---just a great tour guide and all around nice guy. I will definitely use him again.

26 minutes ago, Cafabi said:
We just got back from Cozumel and did a 6 hour tour with Crescencio at Black Hat including Punta Sur, the east side, Pueblo del Maiz, and San Miguel. We found him to be extremely personable and accommodating. He pointed out numerous places of interest and let us take all the pictures we wanted. In fact, he even sang some Mexican Christmas carols for us. Out of 25+ private tours I've taken, he is my all-time favorite. No smoking or foul language around my asthmatic son, no steering us toward things we weren't interested in, no stretching out the tour to pad his pocket (OK 6 hours is plenty but...)---just a great tour guide and all around nice guy. I will definitely use him again.

Glad you had a good tour - I believe you were on the Vision with us?

How was Pueblo de Maiz?

Edited by c-leg5

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Glad you had a good tour - I believe you were on the Vision with us?

How was Pueblo de Maiz?

Yes, we were on the Vision!

It far exceeded my expectations, and happily so since it was $17 per person (including kids.) We had a personal guide to take us around to (maybe a dozen?) different stations to show us what life was like for the ancient Maya. We got to grind corn and sample fresh tortillas, see bees in log hives and try honey, sample fresh salsa, see ritual songs and dances, play the Mayan ball game, draw water from a cenote, sample natural chicle (gum), crush roasted cocoa beans and taste them mixed with honey, scrape henequin leaves to get fibers for weaving, and more. My son had read a lot of library books prior to the trip, but this experience really brought it to life.

4 minutes ago, Cafabi said:

Yes, we were on the Vision!

It far exceeded my expectations, and happily so since it was $17 per person (including kids.) We had a personal guide to take us around to (maybe a dozen?) different stations to show us what life was like for the ancient Maya. We got to grind corn and sample fresh tortillas, see bees in log hives and try honey, sample fresh salsa, see ritual songs and dances, play the Mayan ball game, draw water from a cenote, sample natural chicle (gum), crush roasted cocoa beans and taste them mixed with honey, scrape henequin leaves to get fibers for weaving, and more. My son had read a lot of library books prior to the trip, but this experience really brought it to life.

Good to know - not seen many reviews!

8 hours ago, Cafabi said:

Glad your tour was great with Crescencio.  Maybe it was just an off day for him on our tour .