Sony A6500 or Sony Cyber Shot RX10 IV

I guess I should have specified that I don't shoot my photos for the purpose of using for social media...I post some here, when I think about it or want to - but it's not the primary purpose. I shoot for me, I shoot to print, I occasionally sell, and occasionally publish. I absolutely never shoot for social media, but will occasionally share a reduced-size shot on some message boards. I only wanted to reply to that comment so it was clear I'm not just OK with high ISO for tiny, resized online shared photos, but find it quite OK for large prints too.

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc. nyet! I always think of those as 'social media' - I guess I didn't consider message boards would technically be part of that definition too. You got me there. :)

Got the meaning just fine, but you should know by now I just couldn't resist the poke on the technicality.

Glad you do share your shots here, Justin.

:)

Dave

I guess I should have specified that I don't shoot my photos for the purpose of using for social media...I post some here, when I think about it or want to - but it's not the primary purpose. I shoot for me, I shoot to print, I occasionally sell, and occasionally publish. I absolutely never shoot for social media, but will occasionally share a reduced-size shot on some message boards. I only wanted to reply to that comment so it was clear I'm not just OK with high ISO for tiny, resized online shared photos, but find it quite OK for large prints too.

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc. nyet! I always think of those as 'social media' - I guess I didn't consider message boards would technically be part of that definition too. You got me there. :)

I'm confused .... how can you print a decent size picture from a file that is 1400 X 900?

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I'm confused .... how can you print a decent size picture from a file that is 1400 X 900?

The originals aren't 1400 x 900. The originals range from 4500x3000 to 6000x4000...depending on how much I needed to crop. I never share full-res photos online, as I've had some photo thefts in the past and it's a pain to deal with - so I decided long ago to keep the online posting sizes down to a level that couldn't be used for anything big such as publication or large prints. 1400 pixels for me is a good compromise in being large enough to see details on most screens, but still too small to make large prints and such. If I receive a request for information on a photo, I reply with the original resolution information (for publication requests) or if someone wants a print, I'll discuss how large a particular photo should be able to print in a presentable way.

I find with prints larger than 30", a dpi of 150 is plenty for the typical viewing distances...for really large prints you can even drop it to 72dpi and still get a lovely print for a living room wall, as most people don't view such photos any closer than 5-6 feet away. For smaller prints, I'll go to 300dpi just to keep them crisp and sharp, as they may be viewed much closer. Go up to billboard size, and the dpi equivalent can be less than 10, and still look fine...it all depends on how the intended viewing position will be.