i did it!!

soozles

I had a lot of naysayers in my family saying it couldn’t be done... but I did it! Packed for my Alaska cruise in just a carry on! I have a regular size carry on suitcase and a backpack or small duffel as my personal item, packed my husband in a carry on and he’ll have his laptop bag as a personal item. We are flying in to Seattle a day early, so I’m going to keep our change of clothes for the next day and pjs in my under the seat bag so we can get to it easily in Seattle.

It does help that my husband doesn’t have much toiletry wise, so that I can put some of my stuff into his liquid ziploc baggie.

We are also going to carry our fleeces on the plane so that it won’t waste space in the luggage, and wearing sneakers on the plane. And I’m thinking if I want to throw a pair of my Toms into my backpack. But I still have plenty of space.

Good for you. We do mostly all our cruising in the Caribbean and drive to the port. We do what you do. One rolling carry on and one small hand held bag that fits on top on the carry on when we roll it. I even put in formal clothes too. I do use packing cubes and folders. We carry on stuff on and off the ship. No waiting for luggage and can unpack fast.

Good for you. We do mostly all our cruising in the Caribbean and drive to the port. We do what you do. One rolling carry on and one small hand held bag that fits on top on the carry on when we roll it. I even put in formal clothes too. I do use packing cubes and folders. We carry on stuff on and off the ship. No waiting for luggage and can unpack fast.

We are flying. But I hate waiting for bags at the carousel. I kind of love just walking off the plane and getting in a cab while everyone else is still waiting. Our flight also gets home late, and i didn’t want to get home later than we have to by waiting for bags.

I have no problem packing in a carry on for a beach or warm weather cruise, wasn’t sure if I could do alaska, but managed to get everything in there.

Congratulations! We only “carry on” so I know how liberating it is. No worrying if luggage will arrive when you do etc. Of course “to each his own”. Have a great cruise-loved our Alaska cruise and would love to go again.

Congrats! When we went on our Alaska cruise, I was wishing that we had less luggage to deal with...but we took a LOT of gear with us because of our port plans and our post-cruise plans. We normally do carry on only to the Caribbean...hope you have good weather! I loved our vacation to Alaska...I'm so excited to go back as soon as we can.

Please share your packing list! We have an Alaskan cruise scheduled for next June so I’d appreciate your list and then hearing from back how it worked for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t really do lists, I just think what I need. Looking at the weather forecast, it looks to be mostly mid 70s, so that does influence how i pack...

On the plane, I’m wearing my sneakers and bringing my fleece zip up that I plan to wear when it’s cooler outside. I also took...

1 more pair dark denim jeans

1 pair black jeans

5 or 6 casual tee shirts

2 Long sleeved pull overs

2 3/4 sleeve

2 cocktail dresses for formal night

4 dressy tops for dinner

Waterproof jacket that folds up into a little pouch

1 swimsuit

Dinner shoes

Flip flops

Probably throw in a pair of Toms so I don’t have to wear sneakers every day

Undies and socks and bras

And I may have thrown in a pair of black slacks as well (can’t actually remember if they made it in or out)

And then I have some trinkets and various things in my under the seat bag

Small Medicine kit

Some jewelry

Toiletries, etc.

We’re also staying one night in Seattle, so I put our pj and 2 fresh tops in the under the seat bag (meeting a friend for dinner so i don’t want to wear the same shirt that I’ve been sitting on the plane).

We don’t do a lot of souvenir shopping in port. I hate little tchoskes. I also don’t mind wearing the same fleece every day. I actually feel like I still packed too much. I plan to wear the black jeans or dark denim jeans for dinner and then I can also wear them for excusrion after a couple dinner uses. I don’t own hiking boots and wasn’t about to buy them. Same with waterproof pants and other things I’ve read people say we absolutely needed. If I really get cold or wet or whatever, I’ll just buy something there. And yes, I know denim is heavy but I like my jeans.

I still haven't decided what I want to do for our AK trip next month. I know I'll check a bag for flying (I'm bringing wine) but not sure if I'll check a 22" bag or 25". I have a new dress I got for the cruise - it's knit so should pack well but it's a voluminous knit ;-) I have a good packing list done but keep thinking I want to bring other things. Grr. :') And I haven't decided on my evening/ship shoes for sure yet either - weather forecast will play some role - I want to just have my silver birkie gizehs, but if it's too cold.....

1496141807_Blackwhitemaxi.jpg.f1ad5bacc884c344cfd4a9f539305dfc.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hoyaheel, I love the dress! Our first cruise to Alaska was a 14 day on HAL out of Seattle. We way over packed based on supposed freezing weather. Our cruise began in late May and the first thing I did was hang my jacket up in the cabin and bought a lined windbreaker for the duration. We hit 80 in Juneau and other than a few sprinkles reboarding in Kodiak and a very light mist in Homer, no rain. I was very happy I brought along a pair of very cheap rain pants that a friend now has for her cruise. My husband we got the good goretex pants for because we had just moved to Wisconsin and he continues to get use out of them at the dog park. We are busy booking our first cruise on Seabourne for a transatlantic and Africa over 39 days. Could you report back if the evening casual goes more casual in such places as Alaska? Our HAL cruise had very few who dressed for formal evenings unlike later that year in the Med. And I think I have you to thank for my first packing cubes. The spouse was leary but after our late spring road trip to Yellowstone he is sold. Hope you have a great cruise!