Describe your capsule wardrobe!

sweetpea222

This is a great thread! Thanks to all who are sharing.

I’m a miserable overpacker and when we came home from a cruise just last month, I made myself a promise to pack smarter and lighter for our November cruise.

I agree. I take one 21 rolling carry on and a small gym type bag. But I still have to watch what I put in. On our last 7 night Caribbean cruise I did over pack. I had 9 pairs of pants (some dressy and some every day) With a small bag to go with each of them (i sew so the bags are small and flat). I had 11 or 12 tops, a shawl. One longer sleeve shirt (in white to wear over the others). Two fancy night things that go over the other shirts, if I want to be fancy. Under clothing, socks. I just can't believe what I could fit into the carry on. I have to cut down. We get all the free laundry when we cruise, so I could re-wear clean clothing. But I like to have choices on what to wear.

My DH uses a carry on like mine. I even get his tux into it!

I agree. I take one 21 rolling carry on and a small gym type bag. But I still have to watch what I put in. On our last 7 night Caribbean cruise I did over pack. I had 9 pairs of pants (some dressy and some every day) With a small bag to go with each of them (i sew so the bags are small and flat). I had 11 or 12 tops, a shawl. One longer sleeve shirt (in white to wear over the others). Two fancy night things that go over the other shirts, if I want to be fancy. Under clothing, socks. I just can't believe what I could fit into the carry on. I have to cut down. We get all the free laundry when we cruise, so I could re-wear clean clothing. But I like to have choices on what to wear.

My DH uses a carry on like mine. I even get his tux into it!

Wow --

A tux packed in a carry-on... I am impressed! That's cause to celebrate in & of itself...

Cheers -- Von

Wow --

A tux packed in a carry-on... I am impressed! That's cause to celebrate in & of itself...

Cheers -- Von

Packing for HD is easy. For him I bring 4 pairs of pants (dress pants) two pairs of shorts. 6 shirts with a collar. Socks, under clothes, bathing suit two tee shirts. One tux and two tux shirts and one sweater. Each AM everything that he has worn gets sent out to the laundry (free on Princess for us), the longest turn around we have had with the laundry is two days. So, he all ways has clean clothing. I send his clothes out all week long, starting the day after we board. So, even his travel clothes are clean to wear home.

• 1 month later...

We took a 26-day TransAtlantic+Mediterranean in April 2015, plus travel days. With carry-ons+daypacks only. The following represent my entire outside garments! Well, I also had a scarf and a small rollup bag of jewelry if you count that!

Packed:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/368028600775680132/

What I wore and carried:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/368028600775688837/

The thumbnails are ganked from Polyvore to represent my clothes and not the actual thing. Sorry it wouldn't let me embed the actual pics, I guess because you have to be a member of Pinterest to open them?

It's good to refresh my memory of the curating I did to get it down to what is shown.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I checked my favorite weather site, WeatherSpark,

https://weatherspark.com/y/232/Average-Weather-in-Papeete-French-Polynesia-Year-Round

and you are going to be there right between seasons, not the most pleasant but not the most oppressive! Your outside experience will vary from muggy to oppressive (there's that word again). Historically one day in three will have some rain, but not excessive.

I would be packing linen bermudas/culottes and gauze or thin cotton shirts (maybe some breathable tanks if the gauze is too see-through). I'm not sure if the rain is such that you want a raincoat (we took ours on the Panama Canal trip and never wore them; the rain is warm and we dried). You might want a wrap for the INSIDE areas, like a rayon "pashmina" -- which the Zaandam had in the Shops, a useful souvenir!

Take what you have or want to buy, in the suitcase you want to carry -- but plan to do or use laundry. That kind of weather tends to make you not want to wear items over! Some people, talking about Caribbean cruises, have the system of changing to fresh clothes for dinner then wearing those clothes for the next day, repeat.

At least clothes for hot weather take up less room each in the suitcase!

Finally, WeatherSpark shows about 50% chance of cloudiness. Remember you can (and will) burn right through the clouds; protect your skin!

ETA: re rain -- a small-folding umbrella can keep rain off your head and shoulders AND serve as sun-parasol. Just thinking what I'd be packing...

• 4 months later...

Shoes are always a problem for me. I saw some great ideas for sandals earlier in this thread but nothing for footwear for colder months.

I'm planning a Danube River cruise for October and thinking the weather may be pretty mixed so I'll need more than good sandals for touring. I have narrow feet and wear an orthotic so always find shoe shopping difficult. Any ideas?

RTLS, we did a Danube River Cruise in November (loved it) and because the included tours included a lot of walking I wanted to be comfortable and easily navigate  the cobblestones. I wore lace up walking shoes and went for comfort over fashion. I wasn’t the only one for sure. I changed to a casual slip on shoe for ship activities. The choice here could be ballet flats or any shoe style you feel comfortable in and works for you. No need to bring multiple pairs. River cruises are more casual.

Sharon

RTLS, I'd be going with purduemom1's suggestion, excellent advice.  Sandals in cooler weather?  LOL no way for this little grey duck.  

Reminds me of a New Zealand cruise I did a couple of years ago in the early Autumn ... several ladies had packed for the "tropics" - sandals, light weight shorts, tops, etc., when in fact the temperatures barely got into the low 20's (Celsius).  They were having to buy warm jackets in the shops onboard and then shoes and even knitwear once we got into the various cold and rainy NZ ports.

Always check the weather for your ports and pack accordingly.