Not really fashion or beauty - what hand/artwork do you take while cruising? Sewist?

mef_57

Thanks for the continued ideas.

I'll be on NCL Dawn - which is a smaller ship of their fleet. But as it appeals to an older demographic (no slides or zip lines), maybe there will be something formal posted. I could post over there and ask.

I too can knit without looking, so it has the most appeal. When I revisited my alpaca wool, I realize it is a bulkier finish than I thought, so back to the pattern drawing board.....I am thinking watch cap, if I don't have enough yardage for a scarf.

I also love jigsaw puzzles.....but I am looking to utilize my balcony so handwork would allow that.

Update: NCL Dawn tends to run a knitters' circle at 9 a.m. Seafarer's watch cap pattern downloaded (redirected to Seaman's Church site from Ravelry). Need to check tension with wool and correct size of circular needles. I think it is about the right size project for timely success. Looking good...

:) I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Really great to see people passionate about their hobbies.

I've been looking at various hobbies to start. It was suggested it could help with my anxiety. That anxiety may keep me on the ship for my upcoming cruise due to Tender ports. so I was looking at something else to do apart from ship activities.

On the ship I love to read and write but my heads not in the right place for writing. I do find a words as well. I think having a project would be good . Maybe even something my mum and I can work on togther.

Ingested on what others are getting up to apart from ship activities :)

:) ...I've been looking at various hobbies to start. It was suggested it could help with my anxiety. ...I think having a project would be good . Maybe even something my mum and I can work on togther. :)

I believe handwork (as well as other less portable crafts like woodworking, etc) has been shown to "sooth the savage beast", although I have no citations to offer. (Google may know!)

As both a crocheter and knitter (the former for much longer), I'll suggest that crocheting might be easier if you (1) have never done either, and (2) don't have a human teacher. With crochet you have just the one loop to keep track of! You and your mum could even both learn and work on something modular like a "granny" square afghan... just make sure your squares are coming out about the same size! (You change your hook # up or down to adjust the size.)

That way you wouldn't be carrying a whole big project with you around the ship, just a 6 or 8 inch square. Not all granny squares have that country look to them (not there's anything wrong with the old-fashioned afghans) -- some look like flowers, mosaic tiles, or other geometrics -- "not your granny's square" I like to say.

Having crocheted for some 20-odd years, it was MUCH easier for me to learn "continental" knitting, with the yarn held in the left hand, as it is in right-handers' crochet. In fact I picked it up like I'd always done it.

Here's a rather freeform one, you wouldn't even have to be so exact about the squares being the same size:

afghan_vintage_magazine_photobypeacockmodern.jpg

I actually know what book this afghan is in. If you like it email me at my CC name at that yodel sound .com.

• Like 1

:) I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Really great to see people passionate about their hobbies.

I've been looking at various hobbies to start. It was suggested it could help with my anxiety. That anxiety may keep me on the ship for my upcoming cruise due to Tender ports. so I was looking at something else to do apart from ship activities.

On the ship I love to read and write but my heads not in the right place for writing. I do find a words as well. I think having a project would be good . Maybe even something my mum and I can work on togther.

Ingested on what others are getting up to apart from ship activities :)

Sorry to hear about your anxiety, Nelie. A hobby could be wonderful. Download some audio books tomlisten to while keeping hands busy, could give you 2 for the price of one....or more one on one time with mom. There are lots of YouTube videos for crafts instruction to help get you started....or maybe a local shop would give you private lessons to get you started.

The granny square option keeps things portable and about as minimal (for size) as you can get. I really like the modern blocks of the photo afgan, or you can do a smaller crib blanket size if you know anyone expecting (or donate it). Grey background is popular in quilts, so maybe grey with punches of colour.....or go grey with just one pastel colour to save investing in a variety of yarn.

Whatever you choose, I hope you try to get it started before leaving familiar territory.

Let us know how you get on.

There also is a Cruising Knitters forum on Ravelry. Should be Cruising Crafters, of one for the alliteration! It is relatively quiet; just need some more of us to chat it up.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was a cruising group on Ravelry. I have joined.

• 4 months later...

I brought my knitting and crocheting along and had plenty of opportunities to work on both, and DH brought a sketchbook as well as some illumination/calligraphy blanks and a coloring book with to work on. 

I usually bring a small knitting project (socks, mittens) that I mostly do in the airplane. And then hand piecing (for quilt blocks) for other times, when I have a bit more room to spread out. English Paper Piecing or diamonds are practical for “on the go” sewing

• 2 weeks later...

As the OP, I guess I should comment on what I did on my cruise(s). I had a November cruise with a balcony and couch, so spent a lot of time hand sewing english paper piecing while listening to audio books.  The EPP was a life saver when flights were delayed and it meant 8 hours in an airport with no free wifi and virtually no functioning plug sockets (so no electronic use). A later cruise I took some scarves to knit for community donations. I had more luggage space on that one.

I recently traveled to a resort and took some hand sewing (an old paper pieced project) but could not get enthused about it.  I think I like the more mindless knitting than hand sewing - unless it's a project I am really enthusiastic about.  I love the addition of audiobooks to supplement the crafty time. Goes without saying that I also utilize the ship's library for paper books as well as ebooks.

• Like 1