Smartest way to get to the baths for a larger group?

Vacationdreamer<><

We are a family of 8, plus grandmother, (total of 9) who would like to visit the baths while in Tortola. (At least we think we do.... haven't researched a whole lot else.)

We are in port 7AM - 3PM in May on NCL.

We'd like to visit the baths and eat some local food. We are big fans of SUP and kayaking, as well.

TIA!

“Smartest” in terms of ease or in cost? The excursions offered through the ship are popular. If you do a self-excursion it’s a 10 minute walk to the ferry terminal, a 30 minute ferry to the Virgin Gorda marina, and a 5- 10 minute taxi to the Top of the Baths. You then walk down a natural path to the beach and enter the Baths. The walk down and back up (and through some of the boulders) can be difficult for anyone with mobility issues. The cost of going on your own is ~$42pp ($30 ferry, $12 round trip taxi). The ship excursion is more of course.After he Baths you can taxi back to Spanishtown for lunch at the Baths & Turtle if time allows, and walk from there to the ferry.

For SUP and a beach with amenities look at Cane Garden Bay on Tortola. You can just hop a group safari taxi for $8pp each way and rent lounges and umbrellas at Myett’s or another spot.

Enjoy your day whatever you choose!

Edited by blue_water

Thank you for these helpful and thoughtful replies.

Smartest, I realize now, isn’t such a helpful word. [emoji41]

I mean frugal and efficient. Sometimes it is worth paying more for a ship’s excursion if you gain preferential access, or such, but often it comes at a steep price and a lot of cattle herding without any real benefit except ease in booking.

The Baths seem like a “thing” to say you’ve done and might be fun. But my family may be more likely to just like a Cane Garden beach day. I’ll further investigate both.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes you are very much right! And we’ve taken catamaran excursions on SXM and Antigua through the ship because that was the only way we could book those excursions. We prefer the freedom of going on our own, but yes there is a trade off between the two...

Your take on the Baths is also very good - it is a neat experience, but requires more time getting there and your time is usually limited, and it is invariably very crowded when you are there.

CGB attracts many visitors, but it is a very nice, large bay, perfect for families with great places to eat and relax at and to rent water toys, and you can walk to a less busy section or explore the bay if you want.

Many restaurants and bars there were destroyed by Irma but many have reopened. We’ve stayed at Myett’s and would recommend that for lounges and lunch. At the east end of the bay is Quito’s place, Quito Rymer is a recording artist and you can buy his CD’s there. My favorite song to listen to in the dead of winter is “Caribbean Run” from 1987.

I like to recommend saving the Baths and other places like Jost for a land-based visit when you return so you can enjoy these places even more and choose the best days to go. We first visited Tortola by land and fell in love with the island and the wonderful people, and I think many day visitors will do the same and return for a longer visit. It’s relatively easy to get toTortola, fly into STT from the States and a 50-minute ferry over, or fly directly into EIS from SJU, for example.

Enjoy your day whatever you choose!