Irons on board

davidk800

I am aware that there are no public washing machines facilities on celebrity ships but is there access to irons and ironing boards ,for instance, would the cabin steward be able to supply via an official source. We are on our first celebrity cruise in October on the millennium.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I am aware that there are no public washing machines facilities on celebrity ships but is there access to irons and ironing boards ,for instance, would the cabin steward be able to supply via an official source. We are on our first celebrity cruise in October on the millennium.

No. There is a paid pressing service per item.

Sorry, No irons allowed on any Celebrity ship. Many people have reported having irons confiscated. You can send clothing to be pressed but of course, this costs. The cabin attendant can’t supply an iron. They consider anything that can cause a fire to be a safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn't intending to take an iron with me,I suppose I already knew the answer.

On previous cruises i have taken ,mainly on P&O ,there was an ironing room available .

There are some other lines with a laundry room where you can use their iron and ironing board, but Celebrity is not one of them, unfortunately.

If you’re from the US, Downy Wrinkle release spray works pretty well. It’s not sold in the UK, and I used to stock up on trips to the US, until I learned that I could make my own version with a small amount of fabric softener mixed with water in a spray bottle. I bring the empty spray bottle with the little bit of softener with me, top up with water on board, then at the end of the cruise, pour the leftovers out and take the empty bottle home for next time.

Another tip for Downy wrinkle release: spray the night before or a couple of hours ahead. Spray, take your hands and "press" out the wrinkles. It will be a little damp from the spray and I find its dry and has less wrinkles if you hang a couple of hours.

There are some other lines with a laundry room where you can use their iron and ironing board, but Celebrity is not one of them, unfortunately.

If you’re from the US, Downy Wrinkle release spray works pretty well. It’s not sold in the UK, and I used to stock up on trips to the US, until I learned that I could make my own version with a small amount of fabric softener mixed with water in a spray bottle. I bring the empty spray bottle with the little bit of softener with me, top up with water on board, then at the end of the cruise, pour the leftovers out and take the empty bottle home for next time.

Not good for the large part of the population who are sensitive to scents.. Hold our breath in the elevator and we move when people sit by us

Not good for the large part of the population who are sensitive to scents.. Hold our breath in the elevator and we move when people sit by us

I stopped wearing perfume a few years ago, out of respect for people who have trouble with it. I’m probably not going to switch to completely unscented laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc., however. If someone can be triggered into an asthma attack, migraine or other severe discomfort by the smell of the few molecules of fabric softener that make it on to my clothes (from a teaspoon of fabric softener diluted in a litre of water that will de-wrinkle a month’s worth of clothing) then I feel very bad for them. Those few molecules of scent in the heavily diluted fabric softener will probably be the least scented thing in the whole crowded lift!

I have had little to no luck with Downy Wrinkle release. It MAY get out a few very minor wrinkles but if your expectation is that it will make your garments look like they have just been pressed, don't waste your time packing it.

Another suggestion was to take an empty spray bottle, put a dryer sheet in it and fill with water to make your own 'wrinkle release'. Dryer sheets come in unscented, too. EM

We’re not really onboard with unscented things yet in the UK. A lot of adverts still tout an extra-stong scent for fabric softeners that will linger for a week or longer.

There might be unscented fabric softener available, but a very unscientific survey of Tesco’s website shows over 30 different scents available for liquid fabric softeners, but no unscented. They also offer three kinds of dryer sheets, all scented.

There are some other lines with a laundry room where you can use their iron and ironing board, but Celebrity is not one of them, unfortunately............

I’ll agree with one minor change:

There are some other lines with a laundry room where you can use their iron and ironing board, but Celebrity is not one of them, fortunately.......

Den

I never get on board a ship without my trusty hand steamer. It's small, easy to use and really can take care of most, if not all my pressing needs. I also make a point of not taking too many items that absolutely need to be ironed to be wearable. Cotton can be comfy, but is rarely wash and wear and really benefits from a nice hot iron. If you take fabrics that can have wrinkles steamed out, you'll be ahead of the game.

Have a great vacation, the Millinium is a great ship!

Hand steamers are also not allowed on Celebrity. Perhaps other lines allow them, but Celebrity does not,

A quick search, and you will find posts such as this:

-------------------------

Have a look here: https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/t...ng-conditions/. If you scroll down, Item 2.2 is a list of prohibited items.

“2.2 Are there any prohibited items that I cannot take with me?

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp objects, including knives and scissors

Illegal drugs and substances

Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However “torch lighters” and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)”

-----------------

I never get on board a ship without my trusty hand steamer.

I wouldn't try that on Celebrity. They aren't allowed- they contain a heating element just like irons do. If you try to bring it on board and are caught, it will be confiscated.

OK if you are from the US or UK you will probably be awake in the middle of the night if you are doing a pre cruise hotel. That's when I used to press clothes--I know its sad but if its important you are wrinkle free do it then.

I will add those days are long gone now I wrinkle along with everyone else or use the downy I bought in USA

Hand steamers are also not allowed on Celebrity. Perhaps other lines allow them, but Celebrity does not,

A quick search, and you will find posts such as this:

-------------------------

Have a look here: https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/t...ng-conditions/. If you scroll down, Item 2.2 is a list of prohibited items.

“2.2 Are there any prohibited items that I cannot take with me?

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp objects, including knives and scissors

Illegal drugs and substances

Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However “torch lighters” and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)”

-----------------

Not trying to start a "steamer war", but Celebrity is inconsistent with calling out steamers by name.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/all-pre-cruise-faqs

On my recent cruise, I decided to face this one head on. So I put a handheld steamer in my carry on and proceeded through security. Not surprisingly, port security did not flag it - after all they work for the port and not the cruise line. So, my next stop was a Celebrity rep. I showed the steamer to them and asked if it was allowed on board. The answer was "yes, that steamer is allowed on board". The wording did catch me a little off guard because there was a clear emphasis on "that steamer". I did not ask for any further clarification and simply moved on to check in.

Not trying to start a "steamer war", but Celebrity is inconsistent with calling out steamers by name.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/all-pre-cruise-faqs

On my recent cruise, I decided to face this one head on. So I put a handheld steamer in my carry on and proceeded through security. Not surprisingly, port security did not flag it - after all they work for the port and not the cruise line. So, my next stop was a Celebrity rep. I showed the steamer to them and asked if it was allowed on board. The answer was "yes, that steamer is allowed on board". The wording did catch me a little off guard because there was a clear emphasis on "that steamer". I did not ask for any further clarification and simply moved on to check in.

Do you have a photo of that steamer?