Snorkeling Suggestions

TravelingCouple2000

We will be in Bonaire on October 20th on Celebrity Equinox. Hubby and I would like to snorkel for a few hours in the morning. Any suggestions of companies? Woodwind doesn't have morning availability. Or we thought about walking or taking a taxi to a beach to do off-shore snorkeling. If we did this, where should we go?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

In Bonaire we wanted a “shore snorkeling experience”. We went to Spice Beach and were very pleased with all the different fish we saw. No coral though. Too shallow. They have a pier you walk out and ladder to go in to the water. Food and drinks were extra of course. We will go back there the next time we are in Bonaire. 

56D80B46-E565-476C-B339-9B05509FE064.jpeg

5C3E423F-5CFE-44AA-8210-396497FC0A1B.jpeg

Get off the ship, turn right and catch the ferry to Klein Bonaire.  It is THE place to snorkel.  It's the exact same place all the excursions take people.  It's a drift snorkel so you start on one end of the island and float down to the other end.  Sometimes the ferry drivers will let you drop off your stuff at the end, get back on the boat and drop you off at the other end so you can snorkel back.  If not it's just a short walk.  No need for an excursion.  We did Woodwind last time and yes, they were great but the took us to the exact same place the ferry goes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:43 AM, Duanerice1 said:

Get off the ship, turn right and catch the ferry to Klein Bonaire.  It is THE place to snorkel.  It's the exact same place all the excursions take people.  It's a drift snorkel so you start on one end of the island and float down to the other end.  Sometimes the ferry drivers will let you drop off your stuff at the end, get back on the boat and drop you off at the other end so you can snorkel back.  If not it's just a short walk.  No need for an excursion.  We did Woodwind last time and yes, they were great but the took us to the exact same place the ferry goes.  

Hello! If we go on our own where do we leave our belongings? How can we be sure that there is a ferry that will return to catch us back (i read that sometimes people are let alone for a couple of hours waiting for the return ferry, thats why I'm worried). Thank you for your help :)

Edited by framboesa

8 hours ago, framboesa said:

Hello! If we go on our own where do we leave our belongings? How can we be sure that there is a ferry that will return to catch us back (i read that sometimes people are let alone for a couple of hours waiting for the return ferry, thats why I'm worried). Thank you for your help 🙂

You just leave your belongings on the beach.  Trust me, no one wants your towel - lol.  Of course take your valuables with you.  We have a water proof pouches that we use.  Can fit the phone, credit card and money. 

I've never heard of anyone waiting a couple of hours although I guess they could.  The ferry comes back every hour in the morning but I think the schedule changes in the afternoon.  This is one spot you want to get off and take the early ferry over then come back to shore and do something else.  It is not a great beach to hang, you pretty much got to snorkel only.  But boy, what a place to snorkel.

enjoy

9 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

You just leave your belongings on the beach.  Trust me, no one wants your towel - lol.  Of course take your valuables with you.  We have a water proof pouches that we use.  Can fit the phone, credit card and money. 

I've never heard of anyone waiting a couple of hours although I guess they could.  The ferry comes back every hour in the morning but I think the schedule changes in the afternoon.  This is one spot you want to get off and take the early ferry over then come back to shore and do something else.  It is not a great beach to hang, you pretty much got to snorkel only.  But boy, what a place to snorkel.

enjoy

Thank you for your answer (concerning to belongings i was thinking about my phone, wallet, spf lotion :D ) I never know if i should trust the waterproof bags ;) We are not really expert concerning to snorkeling (did it maybe 10 times ) 

Edited by framboesa

4 hours ago, framboesa said:

Thank you for your answer (concerning to belongings i was thinking about my phone, wallet, spf lotion 😄 ) I never know if i should trust the waterproof bags 😉 We are not really expert concerning to snorkeling (did it maybe 10 times ) 

First off, don't take a lot of stuff with you.  You can come back to the ship afterward before you go exploring other parts of the island (you are right there).  We just take 1 phone, a little cash, ID and a credit card.  That's pretty much it.  

Here is what I used and had no issues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I41MJYG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have also used these in the past and never had an issue:  Much smaller and will hold pretty much everything: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079K6QL1Q/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a tip I tell everyone.  If you are going to be worried or stressed about this stuff then take a tour.  It's just the tour takes a lot longer and costs more.  We are not tour people as there is always a lot of wasted time.  Woodwind did a great job but again, a lot of "wasted" time.

enjoy

50 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

First off, don't take a lot of stuff with you.  You can come back to the ship afterward before you go exploring other parts of the island (you are right there).  We just take 1 phone, a little cash, ID and a credit card.  That's pretty much it.  

Here is what I used and had no issues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I41MJYG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have also used these in the past and never had an issue:  Much smaller and will hold pretty much everything: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079K6QL1Q/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a tip I tell everyone.  If you are going to be worried or stressed about this stuff then take a tour.  It's just the tour takes a lot longer and costs more.  We are not tour people as there is always a lot of wasted time.  Woodwind did a great job but again, a lot of "wasted" time.

enjoy

I totally understand you. we are not tour people neither, only when we feel that we can't do it alone (and it occurred maybe 2 or 3 times during the last 15 years) ;) Thank you for the links, I will check it out :)

Edited by framboesa

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Duanerice1 said:

Woodwind DO NOT go to the same spot as the Klein Bonaire ferry. The snorkeling where the ferry goes is not good at all. But if you like the beach go for it. 

1 hour ago, popupman said:

Woodwind DO NOT go to the same spot as the Klein Bonaire ferry. The snorkeling where the ferry goes is not good at all. But if you like the beach go for it. 

Huh?  I personally know at least 4 people that did the ferry and loved it.  The snorkeling is basically the same spot as we saw the ferry when we were there.  You just have to walk up the beach.  Most amazing place to snorkel.   

Now this one was one snorkel stop with WQoodwind.  I think they also have a 2 stop but this one went to the other side of Klein Bonaire and that was it.  

enjoy