Currency for tips

ATL123456

Again why would I want to tip in $US if local currency is GBP or Euro. I would have to exchange GBP for a small amount of $US. This adds additional exchange costs.

Never had complaints when offering Euros on Med cruise

Just do it your way. The currency on the ship is USD. If you want to tip with bitcoin, have at it. ;)

Tipping on the ship is in US Dollars. You could probably get buy using your credit card and not exchanging any currency, but you might want to think about converting $10/20 on the ship just to have some pocket money for ice cream, sodas, water, and the like. I've found that most places take credit cards, but of course, there are some exceptions.

USD on the ship is the way to go.

Incorrect. On an Australian/NZ Princess cruise next months and the currency is AUD. Includes gratuities.

Ashore always try to tip in local currency which saves the recipient the cost of the exchange.

Incorrect. On an Australian/NZ Princess cruise next months and the currency is AUD. Includes gratuities.

Ashore always try to tip in local currency which saves the recipient the cost of the exchange.

Yes you are absolutely correct, even the ATM on the ship will give you AUD. But for Princess Cruises out of SE Asia they use USD as the currency.

Honestly - if you wish to give additional tips (above the daily onboard charges applied to your account or pre-paid), just do it in whatever currency you have. You can use whatever local you have left, or you can use your home currency. They will accept what you offer with a smile. It is EXTRA, above the onboard service charge, so not required or expected, but always appreciated. If it isn't a local currency, they will exchange it either on board or when they wire their funds home. No worries.

A few years ago, we sailed in the Med. I tipped a combination of Euros, TL and USD. My home currency is USD, the Euros were left over from our stay in Venice, and we disembarked in Turkey (hence the TL). They could spend the USD on the ship, the Euros in most ports, and the TL when they were in Turkish ports or convert it. I didn't care. I left a large handful of Euro coins that I didn't have a use for. The room steward was happy to have them. It was EXTRA.

We're not talking about Princess -- we're talking about Celebrity, and I am correct. The currency on board is USD, including gratuities.

Yes you are absolutely correct, even the ATM on the ship will give you AUD. But for Princess Cruises out of SE Asia they use USD as the currency.

He may be correct about Princess, but this is the Celebrity boards, and on board Celebrity, the currency used is USD. As I said before, the OP can tip in any currency he wishes, but the currency on the ship is USD.

It doesn't make a difference if the "currency on board is USD". Although prices show and are valued in USD, charges are sent direct to on board accounts which are settled using credit cards and not cash. Why someone would even consider buying USD if they aren't from the US or aren't cruising to the US makes no sense to me unless they have a preference to do so in which case, fill your boots.

There is no general rule for tipping in USD and there is no suggestion to do so either. Tip in the currency you have in your pocket and let me know the next time someone expresses disappointment in your choice to recognize their efforts in cash that isn't American.