Celebrity Summit

the plumbers wife

Hi,

We have never sailed on Celebrity. We are looking at the Summit in March 2019.

The ports of calls really caught our attention!

Is this ship showing signs of its age? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The majority of our cruising has been

on larger ships (RCCL/Princess).

Many thanks!

The Summit is going to be refurbished around that same time. Others can chime in with exact dates of the refurbishment.

Summit will undergo a major refurbishment throughout most of February and March. Its first two post-revolution sailings are March 25 and 30, 2019. Given the scale of the overhaul, it will probably look and feel like a brand new ship. My understanding is that every stateroom will be redesigned and reconfigured down to the wall.

Edited by MightyMike

It does sound like she will be really special when redone! I saw some great prices and have been toying with the idea of a B2B on the March 25, 2019 5 night (San Juan, Basseterre, Saint Croix, St. John's/Antigua, San Juan) and March 30, 2019 7 night (San Juan, Saint Croix, Philipsburg, Roseau, Bridgetown, St. George's/Grenada, San Juan) BUT I'm also cautious (chicken!) in case the refurbishment takes longer than scheduled (as in RCI's Empress of the Seas l-o-n-g delay) :D

Ship: Celebrity Summit

Dates: March 2019

Details: Celebrity will overhaul all the staterooms onboard Celebrity Summit, taking everything down to the steel and rebuilding with a new layout and design; rooms will also be outfitted with RFID locks, the line's high-speed Xcelerate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability. Additionally, Summit will see its Main Dining Room redesigned with a lighter, airier decor; Michael's Club will be transformed into the Retreat Lounge, exclusively for the use of suite passengers; and a suites-only Retreat Sundeck will be added, as well. Other changes include: the addition of the Le Petit Chef experience at Qsine; Cellar Masters will be trasformed into a gastrobar; and the spa will be totally redesigned.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

BUT I'm also cautious (chicken!) in case the refurbishment takes longer than scheduled (as in RCI's Empress of the Seas l-o-n-g delay) :D

We are booked on the March 30th sailing and now you have me cautious. What exactly happens when there is a delay and the ship isn't ready? I don't want to buy expensive airfare tickets if they may cancel. What did they do with Empress?

The cruise line will offer to rebook you on a future cruise at the same category and throw in onboard credits in an attempt to compensate for the change fees an airline will charge. One suggestion is to purchase a basic, low-end travel insurance policy. Any decent policy should cover cancellation by the cruise line.

The Millennium will undergo the same refurbishment starting in January. If anything, they should learn a few things during its renovation and be able to apply what they learned to the Summit.

It doesn't look like they have much contingency time in the schedule. Millennium, Summit and Equinox are all one right after the other. Any delay could produce a domino effect.

Ibeen BUT I'm also cautious (chicken!) in case the refurbishment takes longer than scheduled (as in RCI's Empress of the Seas l-o-n-g delay) :D

We are taking the plunge and taking a chance on the March 25th sailing. We couldn't pass up the price and the freebies. got $150 each OBC and $75 drink package per person. Fingers crossed. This will be both our first balcony and first cruise with Celebrity!

We also got reasonable airfare to SJ as well.

What did they do with Empress?

They cancelled 13 sailings! She was supposed to sail on March 30, 2016, but on March 18 (yes, only 12 days before sailing) cruisers on that sailing were notified that she was delayed, then more sailings were delayed, and delayed all the way to May 28, 2016 :rolleyes:

People kept moving their dates back rescheduling their cruise over and over and kept getting cancelled over and over.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article73175172.html

Article shows:

Guests affected by the cancellations can rebook for the same cruise fare on Majesty of the Seas or Enchantment of the Seas through June 27 or on a cruise with Empress of the Seas from June 1 to July 23. Guests who rebook will receive onboard credit.

Travelers who don’t rebook will get a refund.

Additionally, guests scheduled to sail on the April 25 and 30 sailings will also receive a future cruise credit of 50 percent of the cruise fare they paid. Those slated originally to sail on one of the initial cancellation dates in late March and early April who then rescheduled to the newly canceled voyages will get a cruise credit equal to the full cost of their cruise fare.

Glad you got a good deal. What is the $75 drink package? The classic drink package or something different?

Have fun, and I'm sure you will really enjoy the Summit.

It was the Classic drink package. $75 for 5 days is a pretty good steal. We normally don't get a drink package, but this was an offer we couldn't refuse.

We are taking the plunge and taking a chance on the March 25th sailing. We couldn't pass up the price and the freebies. got $150 each OBC and $75 drink package per person. Fingers crossed. This will be both our first balcony and first cruise with Celebrity!

We also got reasonable airfare to SJ as well.

Oh I know - those deals! Woohoo!

Here's wishing us both luck because I'm about 99% sure we'll book too, even with the worry of being the first cruise out :D

I do wish air to SJ wasn't involved - since we live in FL we could always drive to a FL port, but if they can't get finished in time I really don't want the hassle of rebooking SJ air over and over - especially if they wait 'till last minute to cancel, like RCI's Empress LOL.

Oh I know - those deals! Woohoo!

Here's wishing us both luck because I'm about 99% sure we'll book too, even with the worry of being the first cruise out :D

I do wish air to SJ wasn't involved - since we live in FL we could always drive to a FL port, but if they can't get finished in time I really don't want the hassle of rebooking SJ air over and over - especially if they wait 'till last minute to cancel, like RCI's Empress LOL.

I had to cancel a Royal cruise for the summer due to a bad fall and 2 surgeries! It was leaving from San Juan. I was told I would have to use the credit and fly before November 1st. I am still in PT and just started work 2 weeks ago, so that wasn't happening. I called a couple of times to customer service and got no where. I called the corporate offices and they refunded everything except a $150 gift card which I put on my insurance claim.

We have already booked the airfare, but might be changing it as another flight has opened up with a better layover.

Fingers crossed!!!