Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

I was a little surprised at the tiny Retreat “pool”. You can actually swim in the pool in NCL’s Haven. This looks more appropriate for a quick dunk and foot swish.

I was on a ship with the Haven earlier this year and this looks the same size. I find both to be small. You really couldn’t do much swimming in the Haven pool especially if other people were in the pool at the same time.

The pool size that really looks disappointing is the Solarium. It looks much smaller than the S and M class ships. I guess since they made the main pool bigger they felt they had to shrink something back. I guess it makes sense since the main pool is always busier than the Solarium except on bad weather days. I just prefer the Solarium even on sunny days as there’s a more relaxed vibe in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think we'll know until November, but these layouts (not from X site) make me wonder if at least the S2's and port/starboard S1's (the S1 layout is for the aft S1's) have a bed that faces the ocean. Who knows? I'm not betting anything on this one...:D

enhance

I also think that the S1s & S2s on the Port and Starboad side may be very similar in layout. The spacing at least per the deck plans appear almost identical. The picture in this Press material photo with bed facing the ocean (see page 7) has dimensions below generally published as that of an S2. But given the space on the deck plans, that could also be for the S1 and S2s on Port and Starboard side.

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/pdf/core_press_materials_edge/EDGE-FactsSheet.pdf

We see Edge postured in her almost completed radiance, a young maiden-to-be of voyages, aspiring to become a regal lady of the world’s oceans. She has had no say as to how she will be presented. She knows nothing of the thoughts and words which are now a preamble to her much anticipated debut. Her acceptance relies on the many skilled craftspeople who, from conception, have created the heart and soul, the very essence of this latest sailing ship.

The youngest of several in her Celebrity family, Edge will be granted no pardon. She will be expected to test the waters with all her mettle, transporting her guests with a reserved temperament and a genuine assurance.

There will be the inevitable pomp and circumstance at her total reveal, as Edge begins her initial ocean crossing while preparing to collect the first paying passengers. Our many footfalls when boarding Edge will respectfully reflect any pre-conceived notions, ideas and opinions. At the same time, when entering the embodiment of this grand vessel, our eager anticipation, excitement and comfort will be entrusted to her care.

I’ve sailed in The Haven on NCL and the Yacht Club on MSC. The dedicated pools for those areas are small. None are big. I’m sure the Retreat Pool will be no different. It’s not going to be huge but I’m certain it will be quite adequate for the area and amount of passengers. It actually looks quite a bit larger than the NCL Escape Haven pool which was tiny, and for a much larger ship. The great news with EDGE is that it probably has the largest pool afloat. So if you must have a larger pool just go aft a bit to the main pool and have at it.

We see Edge postured in her almost completed radiance, a young maiden-to-be of voyages, aspiring to become a regal lady of the world’s oceans. She has had no say as to how she will be presented. She knows nothing of the thoughts and words which are now a preamble to her much anticipated debut. Her acceptance relies on the many skilled craftspeople who, from conception, have created the heart and soul, the very essence of this latest sailing ship.

The youngest of several in her Celebrity family, Edge will be granted no pardon. She will be expected to test the waters with all her mettle, transporting her guests with a reserved temperament and a genuine assurance.

There will be the inevitable pomp and circumstance at her total reveal, as Edge begins her initial ocean crossing while preparing to collect the first paying passengers. Our many footfalls when boarding Edge will respectfully reflect any pre-conceived notions, ideas and opinions. At the same time, when entering the embodiment of this grand vessel, our eager anticipation, excitement and comfort will be entrusted to her care.

Huzzah! 😊 😉

Glad you’ve lost your sarcasm.😉

I was on a ship with the Haven earlier this year and this looks the same size. I find both to be small. You really couldn’t do much swimming in the Haven pool especially if other people were in the pool at the same time.

The pool size that really looks disappointing is the Solarium. It looks much smaller than the S and M class ships. I guess since they made the main pool bigger they felt they had to shrink something back. I guess it makes sense since the main pool is always busier than the Solarium except on bad weather days. I just prefer the Solarium even on sunny days as there’s a more relaxed vibe in there.

Edge brochure states the pool size for The Retreat to be 16.8 by 10.9 ft; this looks about right on that photo with worker sitting on the decked bank. Whatever rendering showed is a nice gimmick, nothing else.

Ditto on your comment about the Solarium. Spacing seems to be less adequate than with M or S ships - not only because the poo is much smaller, but also there seems to be a lot more decking available (yes, there will be more chairs but I'd rather have more pool...)

There is a weird thing about the Solariums everywhere: suffocating smell of chlorine... I am a chemist with decades of working in the lab, and even I cough every now and then, passing through these venues. I hope the Edge would be the first ship that will use nature-based antiseptics in Solarium!

One fact from the Edge brochure cracked me up big time:

" The eco-friendly, 100% recyclable Solarium roof..."

Are they gonna replace it after each cruise and throw it into the dumpster?! lololol

Edited by marylander2
forgot to add

Glad you’ve lost your sarcasm.[emoji6]

Noooooo! Bring it back, in spiffs and spades! Made for some of the most entertaining posts, aside from all the awesome photos and factoids of the Edge build of course! [emoji2][emoji56]🤣

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess suite guests will have to mingle with the rest of us if they actually want to swim :) I think the retreat area is for relaxing not actually getting exercise... that is probably part of the logic of a dipping pool. You know sitting in the pool with your pina colada vs going all Mark Spitz

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Solarium pool does look small...trying to get a sense of size compared to the people in the photo. That is the main pool and pool area we use, It usually gets crowded as the day goes on...and we move to a quieter area,, It will be disappinting if it is small. But the area as it is shown in depictions , looks like it will be a nice place to spend some time,

I don't think we'll know until November, but these layouts (not from X site) make me wonder if at least the S2's and port/starboard S1's (the S1 layout is for the aft S1's) have a bed that faces the ocean. Who knows? I'm not betting anything on this one...:D

enhance

Thanks for posting these

Between S 3 and S 2, which has the bigger balcony? And I assume they are outside?

The Edge at sea.

c7db99269527ad45ded630f7fd753ef9.jpg

Of all the pictures so far this is my favorite :) This is our happy place on a cruise ship and seeing the picture puts me in that mindset. While we love all the bells and whistles of all the ships we have been on, spots like these are generally underutilized and you can get a peaceful view of the ocean and the sound of the ship cutting through the water is very calming:)

Thanks for posting these

Between S 3 and S 2, which has the bigger balcony? And I assume they are outside?

Yes, all the Sky Suites have traditional outside balconies. The dimensions are as follows:

S1 aft - 299 sq ft with 163 sq ft balcony

S2 - 319 sq ft with 79 sq ft balcony

S3 - 298 sq ft with 102 sq ft balcony

Accessible S2 - 418 sq ft with 99 sq ft balcony (sorry, Getty, couldn't find a picture to see if bed faces the ocean)

The S1 mid-ship balconies are the mystery, but I suspect they are similar to the S2's (79 sq ft). Here is a picture of S1 balconies on 10 and S2 balconies on 9 mid-ship. They appear to be the same size to me.

enhance

Edited by vtcruising

Wow you can really see the hight of the windows in the Oceanview Cafe here! It's going to be quite impressive with those tall ceilings and massive windows.
Agree! Really like it when ships have areas of extra height ceilings compared to the standard. I always enjoyed the promenade deck on the original Star, Crown and Regal Princesses which had extra tall ceilings. The public areas on that deck felt even more grand.

Of all the pictures so far this is my favorite :) This is our happy place on a cruise ship and seeing the picture puts me in that mindset. While we love all the bells and whistles of all the ships we have been on, spots like these are generally underutilized and you can get a peaceful view of the ocean and the sound of the ship cutting through the water is very calming:)

I agree completely. When we first started cruising I noticed how completely relaxed I became after only a few hours at sea, just listening to the sound of the ocean slapping against the side of the ship. I do wonder it the starboard side will have that same solitude given the Magic Carpet and music and conversation. I will be interested in feedback on this.

This is one of my many favorite pictures of The Edge taken from the port side of the ship. She is cutting the waves liked she has The Edge on the ocean waters.

Nope, same size as Mein Schiff 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and the new 2. 25 m of length.

steamboats

Yes I’m quite familiar with those ships and their pools. In fact EDGE is modeled after them which I have mentioned before.

So I’ll say “one of the largest pools afloat”.

In terms of water volume, Royal Caribbean’s Aqua Theater pools are probably the largest afloat, but they are not available for public use. Originally they were going to be.

Yes, all the Sky Suites have traditional outside balconies. The dimensions are as follows:

Accessible S2 - 418 sq ft with 99 sq ft balcony (sorry, Getty, couldn't find a picture to see if bed faces the ocean)

The S1 mid-ship balconies are the mystery, but I suspect they are similar to the S2's (79 sq ft). Here is a picture of S1 balconies on 10 and S2 balconies on 9 mid-ship. They appear to be the same size to me.

enhance

I appreciate the effort

Thanks jc (getty123)

enhance

Thank you for the photo. To the right, just slightly to the left of the top of the orange lighthouse, I think I spy chairs which look similar to the renderings and mock-up balcony furniture.

enhance

Thanks..hope we get to see all the styles on our Jan cabin crawl.. obviously we would want least overhang impact and NO POLES!