NCL Joy

bluenose1

Maybe going to shift from NCL Gem to NCL Joy for coast to coast in Feb 2020. Any thoughts? Does Joy go thru new locks? Looking at the itinerary, the ship spends 2 days in the canal area. Does it go thru 1st locks then anchor in Lake Gatun for the day and night then continue on to the Pacific? Thanks for any inputs.:)

First the easy part... Both ships will use the new locks on their transit. Now the more complicated part... In my brief peek at the Joy's Canal offerings I only saw one particular sailing that spent more than 1 day at the Canal and that was for the Jan. 17-Feb. 2 2020 LA-MIA sailing. Is that one the sailing you are looking at? If it is, then that one is a little unique... what happens is the ship will enter the Canal from the Pacific side, pass through the new Cocoli Locks, Gaillard Cut and cross Gatun Lake. When it gets to the Gatun Lake anchorage the ship will go to anchor. This anchorage is near both the old Gatun Locks and the new Agua Clara Locks (the one you will use) and tendering operations will begin for shore excursions. The Joy will complete the transit through the remainder of the Canal the next day which will include Agua Clara Locks and the short sail out to sea.

If the above is not the sailing you are looking at, tell me which one it is and I'll be glad to look at it.

Too late to edit but I found I found the Mia-LA sailing beginning Feb 14 after some coffee. That sailing should operate in reverse of what I explained above... Arrive at Canal and pass through Agua Clara Locks on the first day. Ship to anchor, passengers tender ashore for excursions, ship resumes transit the following day through Gatun Lake, Gaillard Cut and then through Cocoli Locks and the Pacific,

First the easy part... Both ships will use the new locks on their transit. Now the more complicated part... In my brief peek at the Joy's Canal offerings I only saw one particular sailing that spent more than 1 day at the Canal and that was for the Jan. 17-Feb. 2 2020 LA-MIA sailing. Is that one the sailing you are looking at? If it is, then that one is a little unique... what happens is the ship will enter the Canal from the Pacific side, pass through the new Cocoli Locks, Gaillard Cut and cross Gatun Lake. When it gets to the Gatun Lake anchorage the ship will go to anchor. This anchorage is near both the old Gatun Locks and the new Agua Clara Locks (the one you will use) and tendering operations will begin for shore excursions. The Joy will complete the transit through the remainder of the Canal the next day which will include Agua Clara Locks and the short sail out to sea.

If the above is not the sailing you are looking at, tell me which one it is and I'll be glad to look at it.

Isn't the Gem within Panamax size limits and therefore will be using the old locks? I'm interested in knowing because we'll be doing transits in both directions on the Gem this winter.

If Wikipedia is correct (gotta be, can't put anything on the internet that's not true;)) they list the beam at 125' and 106' is max for the original locks.

Edit: Just looked at another website and they listed the Gem at 106'. That's the first time I ever received incorrect info on the internet! LOL

I should have suspected the Wikipedia number since the length of the Gem is 965 which is the length limit for the old locks. Perhaps they are using the largest beam figure including the bridge wings instead of the waterline figure.

Edited by BillB48

If Wikipedia is correct (gotta be, can't put anything on the internet that's not true;)) they list the beam at 125' and 106' is max for the original locks.

Edit: Just looked at another website and they listed the Gem at 106'. That's the first time I ever received incorrect info on the internet! LOL

I should have suspected the Wikipedia number since the length of the Gem is 965 which is the length limit for the old locks. Perhaps they are using the largest beam figure including the bridge wings instead of the waterline figure.

I asked the question because I was fairly certain NCL's Jewel-class ships, (Jewel, Gem, Jade and Pearl) were built to Panamax specifications, and I was also fairly certain some of those ships had done Panama Canal transits prior to the opening of the new locks.

When I saw the 125 ft. beam on Wikipedia it didn't seem right.

Actually I'm a bit disappointed that I'm right. I've done a couple of transits through the old locks on other ships and it would be interesting to see the operation of the new locks, although I would miss watching the mules.

PS: I just checked the Meyer Werft website (the shipyard that built the Gem) and they list the beam as 32.2 meters, so she is a Panamax ship.

DNV ship register shows Gem as 105' (32.2m) beam and 956' (294.13m) length overall.

And, yes, the Jade made the Canal transit both when going to Hawaii and back from the Islands, under her former identity as Pride of Hawaii.

Actually I'm a bit disappointed that I'm right. I've done a couple of transits through the old locks on other ships and it would be interesting to see the operation of the new locks, although I would miss watching the mules.

PS: I just checked the Meyer Werft website (the shipyard that built the Gem) and they list the beam as 32.2 meters, so she is a Panamax ship.

While I have sailed with NCL in the past, I don't have a good feel for their different class of ships and the sizes. Imagine my dismay that I was misled by the internet!!

I have been to the new locks, but I have not had the opportunity (yet) to go through on a ship. I certainly will do that ASAP. Some people have noted here on CC that the new locks were slightly less interesting particularly the no mules part. I can understand that and then you add in the lockages are considerably slower than at the original locks. Then it is just the single lane with no ship in the opposite lane to attract your attention.

To bluenose1 the OP just to correct my first post... Gem original locks. Joy new locks!

There is virtually no difference distance wise in the length of the Canal whether the new locks or the old locks are used. Now time wise, the time it takes to go through one of the new locks is a bit longer. A lockage using the new locks are some what slower than a ship using the old locks. You also have to factor in that a ship using the new locks is a larger ship and that by itself can make transit time a little longer.

Just from my observations, generally the time it takes to complete an ocean to ocean transit for any sized ship seems to take a bit longer than it did a few years ago. That probably is understandable since with the Canal expansion having been completed, there are more and to some extent larger ships transiting the Canal.

How did you find all this specific information on the name of the Locks, etc?

First: My apologies. Poster clearly said the information on locks was on Wikipedia. I found it! :)

My husband and I are booked on the Feb 2, 2020 Miami to Miami on the Joy.

We are looking forward to the Panama Canal and the refurbishment of ship!

The poster BillB48 has had involvement with the Panama Canal since childhood, when his father worked in the Canal Zone, and I believe Bill also worked in Panama as well. IIRC.

The poster BillB48 has had involvement with the Panama Canal since childhood, when his father worked in the Canal Zone, and I believe Bill also worked in Panama as well. IIRC.

Actually I started out in show business! I worked in one of the Canal's theaters for my first job!!

Thanks for the info, I had thought's that it would be the new locks due to size (beam) . The anchoring part in Lake Gatun will be interesting. I have been thru the canal 3 times on a Trident Submarine as the Assistant Navigator/Navigation supervisor.

Very interesting transit. Like the cruise ships we did not have to wait, zipped right thru. Amazing the amount of cargo ships waiting to go thru.

• 6 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 2:34 AM, BillB48 said:

Too late to edit but I found I found the Mia-LA sailing beginning Feb 14 after some coffee. That sailing should operate in reverse of what I explained above... Arrive at Canal and pass through Agua Clara Locks on the first day. Ship to anchor, passengers tender ashore for excursions, ship resumes transit the following day through Gatun Lake, Gaillard Cut and then through Cocoli Locks and the Pacific,

Thanks for that info!  I am on the Joy 2/14/20 and was trying to figure that whole thing out. (kind of confusing to a novice like me!)  Do you recommend getting off and doing an excursion while at anchor on the Lake?

I looked at the 2/14/20 sailing of the the Joy and have to say that their description of the transit and stop in Panama leaves room for some confusion!  From reading the description it looks like you will transit the Canal on a Wednesday (Atlantic-Pacific) and then on Thursday call on Ft. Amador for the day and not anchor in Gatun Lake.  This will provide you with the opportunity to do a shore excursion apart from the day you transit.  This is a completely different type of cruise from the one you quoted on 9/25/18.  On full transits, which your cruise is, they normally do not offer shore excursions on the day of the transit. 

Feel free with any other questions.

Edited by BillB48

6 hours ago, BillB48 said:

I looked at the 2/14/20 sailing of the the Joy and have to say that their description of the transit and stop in Panama leaves room for some confusion!  From reading the description it looks like you will transit the Canal on a Wednesday (Atlantic-Pacific) and then on Thursday call on Ft. Amador for the day and not anchor in Gatun Lake.  This will provide you with the opportunity to do a shore excursion apart from the day you transit.  This is a completely different type of cruise from the one you quoted on 9/25/18.  On full transits, which your cruise is, they normally do not offer shore excursions on the day of the transit. 

Feel free with any other questions.

BillB48:

I'm still a little confused.  My NCL itinerary says:   Wed.- Daylight Transit Panama Canal

Thurs.- Panama Canal/Gatun Lake, Panama - 7am-11:59pm

I didn't see anywhere Ft. Amador mentioned; is that where we anchor on Thursday?  Since this is almost a year away, NCL hasn't posted any excursion options for this cruise yet, so I was just doing what research I can to get ready!  I thank you for any and all information you can provide about our trip through the Canal.   (I sure hope we picked the right cruise!) 

Thanks!

Not surprising you are confused, the descriptions that are provided with your itinerary are not really very clear or accurate.  So many times they just have some poor copy writer is some office cubicle gin this stuff up.  It's not just NCL, many of the descriptions provided by a lot of the cruise lines seem to come from a creative writing class.

Based on my experience on the way shore excursions will work when a ship includes a stop in Panama going in the direction you are traveling and from what I can read from their description... you will transit the Canal on Wednesday.  After reaching the Pacific side, the ship will leave the Canal area for the the night and return to Ft. Amador the next morning early for shore excursions.  Here is where I picked up the Ft. Amador, even though they listed it as Puerto Amador... " Cruising through the Panama Canal, your journey is just as memorable as the destination. Departing from Miami, your first stop takes you to Cartagena’s lush residential areas where you’ll admire vintage mansions before cruising the newly-expanded Panama Canal. Renowned for its cobblestoned historic center and colonial-era landmarks, Puerto Amador is a dive into history. Finally, you’ll kick back in Cabo San Lucas for a scenic tour of the rugged coastline and snorkeling."  Here is the link to that page from NCL's website...   https://www.ncl.com/cruises/16-day-panama-canal-explorer-ocean-to-ocean-from-miami-JOY16MIANPICTGPCGPCLPRQPVRCSLLAX?numberOfGuests=4294953449&ships=Norwegian_Joy&state=null&destinations=Panama_Canal_Cruises&itineraryCode=JOY16MIANPICTGPCGPCLPRQPVRCSLLAX

Don't worry if you are looking for a Canal cruise, I think it will be a good one.  Some of the more popular tours that are generally offered are a partial transit on  a small boat through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut.  While this tour would be traveling over some ground you will have covered during the Joy's transit, it will give you an opportunity to see the original locks in operation since your ship will have to use the new expanded locks because of its size.  Tours to visit the Embera Indians and to the old section of Panama City (Casco Antiguo) are popular.  Shore side visits to the original locks and the expanded locks, train/bus ride across the Isthmus and the aerial tram in the jungle canopy at Gamboa are popular as well.

48 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

Not surprising you are confused, the descriptions that are provided with your itinerary are not really very clear or accurate.  So many times they just have some poor copy writer is some office cubicle gin this stuff up.  It's not just NCL, many of the descriptions provided by a lot of the cruise lines seem to come from a creative writing class.

Based on my experience on the way shore excursions will work when a ship includes a stop in Panama going in the direction you are traveling and from what I can read from their description... you will transit the Canal on Wednesday.  After reaching the Pacific side, the ship will leave the Canal area for the the night and return to Ft. Amador the next morning early for shore excursions.  Here is where I picked up the Ft. Amador, even though they listed it as Puerto Amador... " Cruising through the Panama Canal, your journey is just as memorable as the destination. Departing from Miami, your first stop takes you to Cartagena’s lush residential areas where you’ll admire vintage mansions before cruising the newly-expanded Panama Canal. Renowned for its cobblestoned historic center and colonial-era landmarks, Puerto Amador is a dive into history. Finally, you’ll kick back in Cabo San Lucas for a scenic tour of the rugged coastline and snorkeling."  Here is the link to that page from NCL's website...   https://www.ncl.com/cruises/16-day-panama-canal-explorer-ocean-to-ocean-from-miami-JOY16MIANPICTGPCGPCLPRQPVRCSLLAX?numberOfGuests=4294953449&ships=Norwegian_Joy&state=null&destinations=Panama_Canal_Cruises&itineraryCode=JOY16MIANPICTGPCGPCLPRQPVRCSLLAX

Don't worry if you are looking for a Canal cruise, I think it will be a good one.  Some of the more popular tours that are generally offered are a partial transit on  a small boat through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut.  While this tour would be traveling over some ground you will have covered during the Joy's transit, it will give you an opportunity to see the original locks in operation since your ship will have to use the new expanded locks because of its size.  Tours to visit the Embera Indians and to the old section of Panama City (Casco Antiguo) are popular.  Shore side visits to the original locks and the expanded locks, train/bus ride across the Isthmus and the aerial tram in the jungle canopy at Gamboa are popular as well.

Thanks for all that info!!  As we get closer, and as NCL posts their excursions, I hope you don't mind if I contact you again if I have further questions.  From all the posts I have been reading on CC, it looks like you have a lot of experience I this area. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Doing the partial transit from Atlantic side on Joy Feb 2, 2020. Is there an excursion that does a small boat transit to Pacific side from Gatum lake and then return to Colon by train? Also is there private tours or do you need to do the cruise ship excursion from the lake.

Edited by Lifeofriley1956