Price drop after final pmt

Kaibocan

All the lines are pretty consistent in how this is handled. Pre- final payment can get price drops and refunds if you cancel. Post final payment can get upgrades and face cancellation penalties. Sometimes prices go up as the sailing approaches and sometimes it goes down. It’s a gamble but I typically find that early early booking gets the best prices. Since airlines lock you in as soon as you book, regardless of how early, the cruise line policies are still pretty generous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have said, nothing that Celebrity will do unless you find a better cabin that is now price at least $1 more than your current one. If you see a better cabin that is priced marginally more, X will sometimes allow you to pay to upgrade.

A couple years back the prices dropped significantly where even an A1 Aqua Class was less than my Verandah but because it was less, there was no way to move me to it. Oh well, you roll the dice and take your chances. A cruise I have booked for this summer is now $750 per person more than I paid... it may drop but at least I know I booked it for a price I liked.

I had my TA call and got a minor upgrade for no charge. Moved from a Verandah to Concierge. Not a big deal but better than nothing!

Our cruise dropped a lot just after the final payment date. Suites were now the price of a balcony.

I called our TA and got offered Concierge for $350 extra pp which I declined and then about a week later called again and Concierge was now $150 for both plus my TA gave us a shore excursion. I took it although the huge price drop was a bit of a let down having booked 9 months in advance.

Sounds like you booked directly with Celebrity so give them a call and ask nicely about an upgrade. If they say no, then hang up and call again....be nice but be firm. We use a TA and have had some nice upgrades, one from veranda to Aqua and one from veranda to CC on an M-class so it was a bigger cabin just by asking. You can go on line and look to see what the price for the next level up is and see if it is worth your effort.

Our agent was able to get us moved from an outside to AQU 1 and it did not cost us anything.

Unless this was your first cruise with Celebrity (they are known for treating first timers better than anyone except perhaps Zenith and high end suite folks), I suspect that your TA might have absorbed some of the cost. Either that or they needed that room for some reason (bulk reservation, connecting room request, etc..). No way to know for sure. I am just saying this because I don't want new cruisers to get their hopes up that this kind of thing is likely to happen. It is about as rare as my odds of winning Megamillions.

We were able to upgrade from guarantee inside to balcony for $100 CAD pp after final payment. The prices on that cruise vary almost hourly and the first time I called Celebrity they told me the price I was seeing online was incorrect and I would have to pay $375 pp to upgrade. We had set $150 pp as the maximum we would pay, so I declined. The next time I saw a reduction I called immediately and got the deal I wanted. Since then balconies have been slightly lower, yesterday a guarantee balcony was cheaper than ocean view! Transatlantics typically have price drops after final payment, so we book in the lowest cabin we would be happy with and watch for upgrades. This strategy has served us well on three TAs and one Transpacific.

Sounds like you booked directly with Celebrity so give them a call and ask nicely about an upgrade. If they say no, then hang up and call again....be nice but be firm. We use a TA and have had some nice upgrades, one from veranda to Aqua and one from veranda to CC on an M-class so it was a bigger cabin just by asking. You can go on line and look to see what the price for the next level up is and see if it is worth your effort.

I will try it. If I had booked a year ago it wouldn’t sting so much. But I booked 1/23/18 for a April 15 cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will try it. If I had booked a year ago it wouldn’t sting so much. But I booked 1/23/18 for a April 15 cruise

Yeah, unfortunately best booking is very early or very late. Think you just booked when prices were high. Hopefully you can score an upgrade if prices have dropped enough.

Then tell your travel agent what I told mine what they balked at getting me an upgrade when the price dropped UD$2000.... That there are other cruise lines for the future and other TAs as well. "I get what you are saying, I will talk to my managers" A day later we were offered the move from a 1A to an A1, no charge. They also moved our friends who had booked with us the same day, same agent etc. Sometimes you have to push...

I endure a situation with a supervisor who worked for Celebrity. I had booked a cruise and then transferred it to another one. final payment was longer than the 90 days it is now. My TA called and said they were using the 90 days for me and not the 98 or whatever it was, so would not give me the lower price. After the rudeness of the supervisor, i called corporate and explained what the supervisor said and how curt she was with me...I was in an S1 suite. Long story short, I was on the list for an upgrade, but only a CS came available. We had stated that we did not want a CS. Actually, an older couple in their 90's got the CS, so it was nice to see them in Luminae and talk with them. At least Corporate was willing to work with me, but it just wasn't what I wanted...

Please help me convince my husband we go an upgrade today.... we went from a 9233 - b1 to a SV 6314... so excited to get aft cabin with bigger deck.... definite upgrade for me .

Please help me convince my husband we go an upgrade today.... we went from a 9233 - b1 to a SV 6314... so excited to get aft cabin with bigger deck.... definite upgrade for me .

I may be wrong...there are others more knowledgeable than I..but if this is on an S class ship, the aft balconies are not larger. Being aft is still very nice though. The large aft balconies are on the M class ships.

We didn’t use a TA. We booked direct. We’re in a sky suite

And that's yet another reason to use a TA- particularly one who may be a top seller for your preferred line. They're a major sales factor and you're a "rounding error."

I can understand the frustration when prices change so much, and you feel you should get a benefit. The cruise industry seems to deal with it in various ways and from reading the posts above it seems many people do negotiate and get upgrades or OBC.

But I really do not understand why it is expected. If a consumer buys something and the price changes it is just the way things are and we accept that. Also, if the price of a cruise rises I would hate it to work the other way be asked to pay a supplement to the cruise line.

I wish there was a set guideline on this rather than it being so hit and miss, so we would know our entitlement. I have been lucky so far in managing to book at the best time. Being in the UK know it would mean loss of deposit to make a change, but after reading this thread I may give it a try if there was a big price hike.

But I still wonder why the cruise lines do upgrades or OBC as surely there is no point in repricing if they have to satisfy those already booked at the original price.