A couple of questions about beauty products...

Ok so heres the scoop. I am ( cough cough choke gasp) 51 now and in menapause. My skin while not wrinkled is starting to look dull and not as plump as it use to. I feel like it's looking a bit saggy around the jawl line. Others say I'm crazy but I dont like what i see in the mirror. My parents are 80 and look fantastic! So I know i have good genes as far as aging. My pores are looking bigger and I get pimples[emoji51] I never had pimples! Not acne just an ocassional break out. I don't wear a lot of make up never have. But I just started wearing foundation again because of my skin looking so Blah!

So what do you all use as far as moisturizer...foundation...face wash. I'm not a big name shopper so drug store brands would be great. Also it would help if the advise was coming from others my age...no offense but when a 20 somethings or 30 yr olds says this works great it's because you still have young skin...lol.

Any one have any helpful advice?

Right niw i use ponds cold cream... L'Oreal moisturizer, and I found a Rimmel ( sp?) matte foundation that works pretty nice.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

I'm 51 and use Covergirl foundation (I dot it on my face), then use a very small amount of Smashbox primer (or Bare Minerals) and blend the two with my fingers.

As a Daytime moisturizer I use Lancome Renergie (and under that I use sunscreen) at night I use the Lancome Renergie night cream. I also use Lancome eye cream. I have used this routine for more than 20 years (started with Estee Lauder, Clarins, Clinque and now Lancome). You don't need to go with the fancy stuff as long as it doesn't bother your skin. My skin is sensative and I used to use the other products until they changed the formulas for the moisturizer and it started to bother my skin - I moved over to Lancome in my 40s.

As for washing my face - I use 'Simple Skincare' to wash my makeup off at night (I use Neutrogena makeup remover for eye makeup), and in the morning in the shower I use Eucerin Sensative skin gel.

My mom is a fan on Ponds at night (she's 76) and Clinique during the day.

I'm 48, so right behind you.

I use Oil of Olay moisturizers when I run out of the Nivea Night Creme I fell in love with in Europe. (I stock up when I go overseas.)

Foundation -- for a sheer every day wear I use Aveda tinted moisturizer. For a fuller coverage look I use Bobbi Brown. (From Sephora) The setting powder and concealer I like is from No. 7.

For evening make up removal and cleansing I like micellar water.

Ahead of you, 56 in a few weeks and post-menopausal due to medical issues and a hysterectomy. The mirror is not being kind to me these days either, but I figure I have probably earned a bit of what I am seeing. ;) Having said that, I have a very simple routine that I have used for years. I use regular Dove soap on my face and body (smells great!), regular pink Oil of Olay lotion on my face and neck (have for almost 40 years!), and at the moment I am using Cover Girl foundation and a cover stick on dark spots and blemishes.

Try and give yourself a break, too. I will if you will. :D

Definitely PRIME before the foundation...it evens out your skin texture!...and helps your foundation go on smoothly! Color correction can help, also....look that up online, if you don't know about it!

Not a drug store brand but I love Origins Vitazing. It is a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15. I have sensitive skin and this product is light and does not clog my pores. I am 52 and every foundation I have tried in the last few years makes my laugh lines look so much worse This gives your skin a nice glow and do a not sink into fine lines. I also am addicted to Aveda Wedding masque at night!

I'm beyond you in age. I use a BB cream rather than foundation. It's lighter, and has SPF. The one I'm currently using is Skin 79 Pink, from South Korea, which I learned about here. I've been buying it on ebay.

I wash my face with baby shampoo, morning and night, as it removes eye makeup without any irritation.

I just turned 56. I don't feel it and don't think I look like it. I love Dr. Denese skin care products which I get on QVC. I use her face wash and I also love her SPF30 Defense Day Cream. Another product I found recently which I really like is Color Science daily protector whipped mineral sunscreen which has a light tint to it.

I'm also a daily runner and workout regularly at Orange Theory Fitness. If there is a studio near you, try it! I'm in love and think it's totally worth the cost. I believe staying fit and drinking plenty of water makes a huge difference, as much if not more than products.

I just turned 60 and I use AVEENO for washing my face. They make a couple of different cleanser's...one is a cream and the other more a gel.......to be honest, I like both. I have always been told my skin looks good and since you asking for opinions and such.......I will probably be flamed for this but I do not use any type of moisturizer and I wear no face make up. I wear a bit of eyeshadow and mascara for work and that is it.

Nothing goes on my face and that is just me.......never found anything and for me, I don't like the feel of anything on my face.

I have to say I was out recently and was told my skin looks closer to mid 40's rather than 60.......so maybe I am just lucky:D;)

Sounds like I'm not off track. I'm writing done some of these brands so I remember.

I can't do the whole primer ,conceler, foindation, powder thing! WAY too much and way too heavy for my skin. If I did that my pores would look like golf balls and any slight linea would become craters. Just too much for my liking.

I"m in my mid 40's...

I use a face wash - depending on my mood - Clarins, Lancome or La Mer. I wash my face in the morning, and at night. That's it. I don't use any makeup removers.

I don't like to wear a lot of makeup, but I do like to try new things/different things/brands. On a daily basis I use a bit of powder on my undereye area to brighten it (Lancome Dual Finish Powder). A little mascara (Cover Girl Super Sizer Mascara) and I always fill in my eyebrows a bit (Bare Minerals "Frame and Define"). I don't wear lipstick, but I wear lipgloss frequently (Urban Decay Naked Lipgloss "Liar" and Tom Ford "Sahara Pink" are my current favs).

Sometimes I'll wear a tinted moisturizer. I've tried a TON over the years. Right now I'm using Givency "Teint Couture Blurring Foundation Balm Broad Specturm 15".

I like a cream blush sometimes - I like ELF Aqua Beauty Blushes, NARS Liquid or "The Multiple" Stick Blush or La Mer "Lip and Cheek Glow".

I also lucked out with good genes, so I don't use any treatment type moisturizers or serums. I'm a bad candidate too, because I hate the feeling of anything on my face for sleeping. Sometimes in the wintertime, if I feel a little dry in the morning, I'll use La Mer Moisturizing Soft Cream.

I agree that drinking water regularily/daily, and staying active is important.

Just what works for me...

I am 43 and not menopausal but do like watching several beauty gurus and understand your frustrations with all the twenty-somethings giving skin care advice that is great for them but not so relevant to me. Check out some of the videos by "Hot & Flashy" who caters to the mature woman. Before buying any product now I watch several video reviews by different gurus to get a sense of what would work on my skin. Prior to youtube videos I would buy so many products that had glittery ads or were being hawked by the makeup counter lady only to be disappointed with the product. I still probably buy too many products but I am way more happy with the products I do buy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HotandFlashy

• Like 2

Oh, I’m 48 and started adding zint brand dissolvable collage in my coffee each morning.

I have melasma so I have been working with the MUC peels for several months now and my skin is looking brighter and more alive.

Wear sunscreen after peels and religiously!!

I'm 52 and gave up expensive face washes years ago. I use Cetaphil and have been very happy with it.

I've been using Neutrogena oil-free moisture with SPF 15 as a daily moisturizer for quite a few years. I have somewhat dry skin, but find this still moisturizes well without feeling greasy and I like the added SPF protection. I have started alternating this with Lancome Bienfait Multi Vital (spf 30) and Lancome Bienfait Multi Vital Night. They are a little richer and more emollient feeling on my skin. I still use the Neutrogena when I'm in a hurry to put make-up on, but will use the Lancome when I have an extra minute or two to let it really soak in, and the night version at night.

Foundation: I used Lancome Dual Finish powder foundation for years, then a few years ago felt like it was starting to look too dry on my skin that was starting to show its age a bit and decided to switch to a liquid. I found a relatively inexpensive liquid foundation from Benefit that had kind of a liquid-to-powder finish. They stopped making it and the foundation that supposedly replaced it, while oil-free, felt extremely greasy to me, so I started using Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear and set it with transluscent powder.

Thanks every one. This has been helpful. Except the peels. No thank you to that. My sister had them done ...did nothing for her except crack her skin and leave her in extreme pain. And that was done at the dermatologist! When it was all said and done she got zero results from it! I realize the person who mentioned it was talking over the counter do it yourself but after what she went threw i think not .

Definitely not a drug store brand, but not outrageously expensive either.........I am a huge believer in philosophy products. I've used their Hope in a Jar moisturizer for probably 10 years. When I first started using it (I'm 56 now) I had crows feet that were so pronounced that I could feel them with my fingertips. I have zero noticeable ones now. I have a problem with puffiness under the eyes, couldn't really find a philosophy product that dealt with that, but recently found Caudalie Resveratrol (sp?) eye cream and it's wonderful.

Okay, I used to work as a receptionist at a medical spa and one thing I learned is not to rely on the sunscreen in facial products, They usually contain a very low SPF 20 or less and I am still amazed that they tout the sunscreen in their products when they KNOW it is very low. Find a good sunscreen made for the face (not one of those waxy sticks) with an SPF of at least 30. I am using La Roche Posay right now which pricey but I don't want to undo all the treatments I had done while I was there. Sun damage is VERY aging, we don't want that! I understand your feelings about peels so I will leave those alone but consider a microdermabrasion or at the least a good facial. The practitioners I worked with told their patients that were not able to have regular treatments to have facial service seasonally if their budget allowed.

Okay, I used to work as a receptionist at a medical spa and one thing I learned is not to rely on the sunscreen in facial products, They usually contain a very low SPF 20 or less and I am still amazed that they tout the sunscreen in their products when they KNOW it is very low. Find a good sunscreen made for the face

Much depends on the product and on one's lifestyle. I don't think anyone would think they could put on just their moisturizer with SPF 15 and go lie on the beach all day with no consequences. But, some face products DO have SPF of at least 30; I have a moisturizer that I'm using right now from Lancome that has SPF 30. Pretty much any SPF is an added benefit so I don't see why product lines that include it shouldn't tout it, because again- I doubt anyone will think SPF 15 or 20 or even 30 for that matter is enough for a day at the beach. But if I'm just getting ready for a day at work that will be spent indoors, or a morning of running errands that is mostly inside other than going back and forth to the car, I see no real need to slather on an additional layer of SPF 50 if I am already putting on a moisturizer with SPF 30 in it.

Hi,

I just turned 50 and also am starting the whole menopause thing. My skin is opposite of yours in some ways (very fine pores). But, I also started the occasional break out thingy now when I never broke out as a teen! And also noticed the "dullness" you talked about.

I know you said you don't like peels, but for the dullness, I use No. 7 Beautiful Skin Age Defence Facial Cleanser in the morning. It does have some alpha hydroxy in it, so not sure if you would be sensitive to that. I also use olive oil at night (it seems really backward that olive oil would help with my zits, but a friend swore by it, so I tried it, but that might not work for you at all with your large pores, might make it worse).

Daytime moisturizer is Neutrogena regenerist serum or Neutrogena Hydro Boost with hylauronic acid ... feels like it plumps me up a little bit. I just use Maybelline Dream Cushion for foundation, but I think our skin types are so different with regards to pores and fineness of skin, I have no idea if that would work for you.

You have a lot of good advice. Many of these products work for the people suggesting them but might not work for you. You will probably have to try some and see what you think. I agree that a primer and a sunscreen can make a big difference. I am 55 years old and I have used Estee Lauder since I was a teenager. I don't consider it to be an expensive brand, but some people might. With their products you can return them if they are not to your liking. I also rely on the advice of the sales people. I have not found them to be pushy. They are well trained and knowledgable. Over the years I have tried other brands and products but always come back to Estee Lauder. I like the research and development that they do with their products. The best advice I was ever given was "don't go to bed without washing your face" It will make a huge difference in the way your skin looks. Sleep is when the body regenerates itself. I hope you find your glow again!