Packing for 30 day trip

Good Morning

We are leaving for the Baltics at the end of August. Then doing a TA going to Ireland and the Azores. ending in Tampa. I am trying so hard not to over pack. I don't mind washing things out in the sink and more than likely will send clothes out to be washed. There seems to be a lot of temp differents . Anyone done this trip in late August and Sept and how did you pack?

Leigh

Pack for a week or two and repeat. Some will pack a warm weather wardrobe and a cold weather wardrobe.

Pick a color scheme so that it all coordinates.

The Vivienne Files has lots of ideas. We seem to pack a Whatever’s Clean wardrobe - neutral bottoms and toppers with a variety of shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly...bring "mix and match"...if you rewear stuff, no one will notice, I guarantee it. Plan on laundry at some point! I absolutely LOVE hotels and ships that have "self-laundromats"....takes about a total of 45 mins of your time. Not a big deal at all!

We'd pack for a week to 10 days, hand wash some things, either use a laundromat or send clothes out about half way through the cruise and enjoy!

We do wear things more than once unless they are stinky or dirty. For a variety of temps it is more of a challenge, but layers are your friend. Shoes are the hardest for me; I have cruised with 3 pair, one on my feet on the plane, sandals and dressier wedges, but prefer more choices.

Bring clothes for 7 days and wash as necessary. Pack a rain slicker and a sweater, just in case. Personally, I would pack an extra pair of walking shoes - leather flats or hiking sneakers in a neutral color - something supportive and well broken in..

And then Enjoy! And, remember that if you really need something you didn't pack, you can purchase it along the way. My favorite souvenirs are things like the pair of gloves I bought in Strassbourg because I left mine in a taxi and it was snowing, or the hat I bought in Ketchikan because I didn't think to pack one, and it was COLD!

I packed for a 3 month Europe trip in 2015. I packed everything I would need for 7 days and washed as needed (some apartments had machines). We visited Russia, Germany, France, Italy & Poland from mid September thru mid November. Actually had to purchase a lightweight down jacket due to colder November temps in Poland.

In 2013 we went to Europe for 35 days, stopping in London, Venice, 12 night cruise, Barcelona and concluding with 2 weeks in an apartment in Paris. We all travelled carry on only. We're doing the same thing next month, and have planned it like this:

4 nights in Rome and an 11 night cruise, will take enough for a week or so travel and then when the cruise 'wash special' comes out we will take advantage of it and wash some of the things we've worn a few times, enough to see us through the rest of the cruise. We'll also have some that we will wash and hang dry at night in the cabin. Post-cruise we stay in the south of France for a week in an apartment with a washer/dryer combo. I will do some light laundry then. Conclude with a week at the same Paris apartment, which also has a washer/dryer combo. So I will have regular intervals where I can wash a few things and I will hand wash and hang dry stuff in-between.

Echoing comments above:

1. Coordinate everything so it mixes and matches.

2. Rewear things if they don't smell or show visible dirt

3. Lightweight layers are key. You can wear less when it's warm and add more if it's cool. Example: many companies make lightweight "trekking" pants. They wash easily in the sink and air dry quickly. They are lightweight and breezy in warm weather, but you can easily layer a pair of tights underneath if it gets cold. They often have zip pockets, which are good when sightseeing, and some zip off into shorts. Up top, a light tee in a quick-dry performance fabric, under a lightweight sweater if needed, and a water-resistant jacket if needed, can work for warm, chilly and/or rainy weather

4. Plan on laundry. It's the only way to make a 30 day trip feasible with light packing. Some people are happy to wash things in the sink and air dry, others prefer to find a laundromat. Laundry service in a hotel or cruise ship is usually pricey but also the easiest, most convenient option. Personally, I'd just plan on that a couple of times and not stress over the cost. It's probably still cheaper than checking another bag multiple times, and easier than schlepping an extra bag on and off of trains, through airports, up stairs of small European hotels, etc.

• 1 month later...

I agree with all the other comments above. We did a 4 week trip and we each had a carry on bag (my husband HATES to check bags). Obviously it depends on what you'll be doing on your trip, how you like to dress etc I'm fine re-wearing items multiple times. I also like to layer (and I don't get cold easily) - so I didn't need anything bulky on my trip. I washed items in the sink when needed. Was able to do a load of laundry about 2 weeks in. Worked out very well for us. I'm personally not a fan of febreeze etc - to each their own.

What do you do ...drink the vodka and don't care what you look like!!!:D

Vodka works well as a fabric deodorizer. I learned about it through helping with school theatre productions - we would spray the costumes with diluted vodka (don't know the ratio) during show week to keep them smelling fresh.

Vodka is also good for cleaning glass, jewelry, and bead work (formal dresses or bags).

I have packed for 30 - 50 day cruises before, and I have 76 days coming up next year. I take very lightweight tops and evening jackets with 3 pairs of long pants: brown, grey, and black. I take 2 pairs of white and 2 pairs of black lightweight knit capris. Several tanks and camis: white and black, maybe a beige one. All can be hand washed and hung to dry.

The tops are all chiffon or crepe, and can be rolled very easily. They are so slippery they don't fold easily. Because they take up so little room in the suitcase, I can pack 20 tops and 10 jackets. As long as they can be worn with black, grey, or brown pants in the evening, they get to go in the suitcase. No matching tops and bottoms that cannot be worn with another top or bottom.

It's packing knits and medium weight cottons that take up the room in the suitcase: they are bulky fabrics.

I also take a lightweight jacket, and a sleeveless knit zippered vest to add a layer. I can wear any of the lightweight tops with this vest and jacket, add long pants and closed-toe shoes, and I'm good for anywhere from 45 - 65 degree weather. Leave off the vest and jacket, wear capris and sandals, and I'm good for hot weather with my sun hat.

10 pairs of undies, 3 bras, 2 nighties: all washable in the sink.

• Like 1

We leave next month for 30 days - 4 days in Lisbon followed by 25 nights on Wind Surf cruising the Mediterranean (Portugal, Morocco, Spain, France, Italy and Sicily. I love dresses and would like to bring more on this trip than I have in the past. Previously I would bring 2 capris, 1 skort, and 1 dress with 3 coordinating tops per bottom and that would get me through 17+ days with a wash in between. It's country club casual so I don't need anything fancy. I still plan to bring at least 1 pair of capris but I'm having trouble deciding how many dresses to bring. I have 2-3 outfits that will only be for dinner but many of my cute dresses I could wear in the evening and then the following day touring. It's a very port intensive cruise so I don't need too many "hang out" outfits. Anyone wear lots of dresses and can give me an idea on how many to bring? Oh, and it's all got to go in a small roller bag...no checking luggage for us. Thanks!

Anyone wear lots of dresses and can give me an idea on how many to bring?

If your dresses pack down small and are light (as most of mine are) you could bring a few. Right now on my 15 day upcoming trip, I have 6 on my packing list. I'm really hoping to do 4 but a "just for night" dress sort of snuck onto the list. So. We'll see.

I often do what you propose - wear a dress for dinner then touring the following day, then a quick wash.

I would bring a minimum of 2 dresses - that's just me ;-)

Thanks Hoyaheel for your thoughts. I laid out my clothes today and tried everything on. Right now, for daytime I have 3 dresses, 1 skort, 1 long pants that can roll up just a bit and 1 crop pant with tops that mix and match. For evening I have 4 dresses, 1 maxi dress and 1 pant. After looking at my evening stuff, I'm not sure I would wear but 1 or 2 things for daytime. Well, it's my first attempt and I'm sure I will either buy more stuff or change my mind several times before we head out. That's half the fun, right?!

Febreeze is your friend....

Oh, sorry Sadie but I will gently disagree... adding another fragrance on top of something dirty does not always work. I, personally, am very sensitive to scents/odors and this would probably put me over the edge! LOL. I would recommend not Febreezing or perfuming, but instead take 20 minutes and do a sink wash instead.

Us with sensitive noses thank you.... :D;p

Thanks everyone lots of good ideas.

I have started the packing. And yes I am over packing. It will be fine. Taking each a carryon and each a large bag. I wanted to do just one large bag but hubby talked me out of it. His point is we have to handle our bags very little. Cab to hotel and cab to ship. I will send out jeans and stuff like that to be cleaned. And hand wash other things in the sink.

Leigh

Thanks everyone lots of good ideas.

I have started the packing. And yes I am over packing. It will be fine. Taking each a carryon and each a large bag. I wanted to do just one large bag but hubby talked me out of it. His point is we have to handle our bags very little. Cab to hotel and cab to ship. I will send out jeans and stuff like that to be cleaned. And hand wash other things in the sink.

Leigh

Enjoy the anticipation of your up coming cruise. I feel on such a long cruise, take what you want. And leave space for the things that you will buy.

Oh, sorry Sadie but I will gently disagree... adding another fragrance on top of something dirty does not always work. I, personally, am very sensitive to scents/odors and this would probably put me over the edge! LOL. I would recommend not Febreezing or perfuming, but instead take 20 minutes and do a sink wash instead.

Us with sensitive noses thank you.... :D;p

Could switch the Febreeze out for diluted vodka ;)

How do you dry your hand washable clothes? I air dry most of my clothes when home.

Tried it in Cabin in the past and it’s just not good (for me). The bathroom is too humid for clothes to dry quickly, the laundry line isn’t sturdy, the hooks on the wall hang the clothes too close to the wall (if there is even a hook on the wall), and the closet has either a door (that when open blocks the door) or is too crowded with other clothes for air circulation.

We hand wash clothes, mostly underwear, when on longer cruises. Sometimes shirts/shorts as well. I wash items in the sink and wring them out really well, them roll them in a towel and let them sit in the towel for a while.--maybe even over dinner. Then I hang them on the shower line. They seem to dry really fast then--definitely overnight.

I only do a few items at a time, so there is room on the line. Sometimes I use clips to hang clothing to the back of the balcony chairs, but this actually seems to take longer than the above method.

I don't try to hand wash anything too large, bulky or hard to dry. Some fabrics are made to dry much faster; heavy cottons can take forever. Also, those are really wrinkly after drying.

I do appreciate ships that have self-serve laundries and have used the bag of laundry specials on occasion.