An APS-C kit for landscape photography ?

tommod

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.

I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. I am not particularily aware of what is good ion the APS-C side now. I hear the 80D is good. But what about lenses to cover a full frame range from 16mm to 200mm?

Thanks for the help.

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.

I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. I am not particularily aware of what is good ion the APS-C side now. I hear the 80D is good. But what about lenses to cover a full frame range from 16mm to 200mm?

Thanks for the help.

The 80D is good gear.

Maybe the 10-22

And18-200

The 80D is good but the two lens kit with a Sony a6000 will give you excellent 24 mp images and cover you from 24 to 300 in full frame equivalence for about $700. Not to mention the Sony kit is about half the size of the 80D and the two lenses and has a larger sensor.

Dave

The 80D is good but the two lens kit with a Sony a6000 will give you excellent 24 mp images and cover you from 24 to 300 in full frame equivalence for about $700. Not to mention the Sony kit is about half the size of the 80D and the two lenses and has a larger sensor.

Dave

Yep another good option.

But if OP is a canon shooter there can be benefits in sticking with Canon.

The 80D is a good choice if your friend is already in love with Canon. The 80D takes incredible video as well.

The 2 APS-C lenses that are solid for an inexpensive price are the 10-18 (try and stay in the 12-16 range) and the 18-135 STM which actually is a 29-219mm on the 80D. Frankly there is little else one would really require ....

Dave

The a6000 is fine for landscapes but not with the kit 16-50. If you want to shoot great landscapes — not snapshot quality — then you want corner to corner sharpness with low distortion at wide angle.

For landscapes, I’d pair the a6000 with the Sony 10-18, which is quite good.

Pair it with the new 18-135 and you have a decent kit covering the range requested.

The OP is a Canon shooter but his friend may not be. If it is a really good friend one would lend lenses to, there is a benefit. If not, the choice isn't just Canon. Especially if size, weight and image quality are important.

Dave

I find the Sony a6000 series just a bit small for my hands, so that may be a consideration.

I own the Canon 80d, purchased as a kit with the 18-55 and 55-250 lens for about $600 refurbished from Canon around black Friday last year.

More recently I purchased the 10-18 as a smaller, lighter lens for travel than my 10-22.

Canon Price Watch site can alert you to additional sales.