Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 37

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 10 and Sunday, September 16.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest. All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others.

Monday was my last day at Disney World this trip, so for once I can squeeze into the 'weekly' thread on the same week its posted! Here are some shots starting at 3:30am from my resort room, through to Epcot.

3:30am view from my balcony at Saratoga Springs resort, looking across to Disney Springs:

original.jpg

Inside Epcot's big giant golf ball (Spaceship Earth) is a ride about the history of communication...here's a scene of ancient Egypt and the development of papyrus scrolls:

original.jpg

The 'Living with the Land' boat ride takes you through greenhouses and fish farms, like this one:

original.jpg

The France pavilion at Epcot:

original.jpg

The interior courtyard of the Land exhibit:

original.jpg

Good luck with all that rain - hope you don't get flooded out.

But the hibiscus flowers are lovely - thanks for posting the picture.

Thank you.

We have never had hibiscus flowers bloom this late in the season.

What is left of Florence should not hit us with tons of rain. The Carolina states have been hit hard as the storm stalled over them.

Easily one of the oddest sunrises I have ever photographed. Earlier, there was a mostly clear horizon with a high, thin cloud cover and some haze that promised good colors. Just before the sun rose, heavier clouds formed and a low, heavy fog bank started moving in. As the fog blanketed the town in the distance and blotted out the factory belonging to the smokestacks to the left, the sun peeked over the low clouds and lit the upper layer on fire. With the foreground buildings still shadowed by fog and only dimly lit by the bright, high clouds behind me, the scene took on the creepy “something bad is coming” look of a Stephen King or Dean Koontz mystery novel. Nothing came. Nice day.

Flaming Mystery Fog

p3078493378-6.jpg

Dave

Easily one of the oddest sunrises I have ever photographed. Earlier, there was a mostly clear horizon with a high, thin cloud cover and some haze that promised good colors. Just before the sun rose, heavier clouds formed and a low, heavy fog bank started moving in. As the fog blanketed the town in the distance and blotted out the factory belonging to the smokestacks to the left, the sun peeked over the low clouds and lit the upper layer on fire. With the foreground buildings still shadowed by fog and only dimly lit by the bright, high clouds behind me, the scene took on the creepy “something bad is coming” look of a Stephen King or Dean Koontz mystery novel. Nothing came. Nice day.

Flaming Mystery Fog

p3078493378-6.jpg

Dave

Great picture.

• 1 month later...

We arrived in Southampton England on Sep 16th, a day early for our British Isles cruise.  After getting situated in our hotel which was near the cruise port I decided to walk to the nearby Westgate Ruins.  As I walked down one of the streets near the ruins I came across these two signs.  I understood that the bottom sign indicated the road narrows but the sign above it caught me off guard.

119ay40.jpg

A closer look at that top sign.

33wnwpk.jpg

Now for the strange event that took place that day, my smartphone not only changed to the incorrect time, it also changed the date to a month and a half into the future.  Had I walked into the Twilight Zone?