"Please fill out the email survey"

Diamond lover

We had lovely servers and stewards and entertainers and maitre d's etc etc, etc on our recent cruise. But all of us (group of six) were annoyed by the constant pleading on the last three days of our cruise, to "rate them a 10" on the comment survey. I had to actually say to our waiter "we get it, we get it, you have said it many times, we will rate you a 10". It is as though they will be fired if we do NOT complete the survey, and God forbid give the service an 8?

If that is actually the case, shame on Celebrity for making it so. Otherwise, hell, stop it already.

Are we alone in being a little annoyed by this?

We had lovely servers and stewards and entertainers and maitre d's etc etc, etc on our recent cruise. But all of us (group of six) were annoyed by the constant pleading on the last three days of our cruise, to "rate them a 10" on the comment survey. I had to actually say to our waiter "we get it, we get it, you have said it many times, we will rate you a 10". It is as though they will be fired if we do NOT complete the survey, and God forbid give the service an 8?

If that is actually the case, shame on Celebrity for making it so. Otherwise, hell, stop it already.

Bummer! We didn't experience any of that on our B2B Equinox cruise March/April 2018 or our September 2018 Infinity cruise.

On our last few sailings, we received the same message many times during the last few days.

I must say that I was not necessarily annoyed as I blocked out all requests for such after the third request...

I just smiled and nodded accordingly..

In the end, your rating is your rating and if their service warranted a 10, then you will give. I gave one venue a five (5) from my last sailing as I was so annoyed as to how they treated me... when the waiter requested a 10, I smiled broadly knowing it was going to be a five (5).

bon voyage

We get the "speech" on every cruise. :rolleyes: And of course, if we remember to fill the survey out, they always get a 10. Most of the time, the servers are great! Occasionally, some are not. And the food certainly is not always excellent. Unfortunately, if we give less than 10 on the food, it counts against the waiters.

I would love to see the face of a bad waiter if I were to ask "do you think you have been a 10 this cruise?" :o

Don’t complain to us. When filling out the survey make everthing a 1 and provide your email and phone number.

I guarantee you will get a response and then you can explain why

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On the Summit a few weeks ago, we were told about the survey and asked to fill in 10. I understand the reason for this from having worked for American Honda many many years ago. As a Service Advisor (even in the 1990's) Honda would sent questionnaires to every registered owner that had warranty work performed. The raking was 1-10 but in essence it was just two numbers, 10 and all those below it. Meaning 1-9 were treated as a failing grade and 10 was treated as a passing grade. Honda never cared for the comments and if just one metric was a 9 then the entire survey was marked as a fail. The Advisors "Customer Service Index" was based on the percentage of pass to fail. This related to the % that advisor would receive from work sold. If it was low enough, employment was in jeopardy and at a minimum, so was the paycheck.

If Celebrity uses that same formulae and I have no reason to doubt they don't, I know Porsche, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota and Audi all do, then these people do have reason to be concerned. Not because they are not doing a good job but because there are people that don't understand that ranking system. For example, I have a close friend that use to always rank the highest number as one less than the ranking system. So if it was a 1-10 scale, he would mentally omit the 10 and use the 9 because for his way of thinking, 10 is the pinnacle and thus is unobtainable. In his mind, this left 9 as the highest achievable score one could attain in that ranking. It took years and countless bottles of wine to adjust and correct this flawed way of interpreting a survey system.

Go easy on the ship's crew, the crew of 2,000 deal with over a hundred thousand passengers each year.

The issue that I have is when they want you to rate it as exceeded expectations. It never will unless it was my first time cruisng and after that I know what to expect and it would be very hard exceed it.

It also becomes difficult to exceed expectations when you are expecting what you received from the former cruises to discover that it was changed or eliminated.

I guess it now should be expected to find things changed or eliminated so when you do have another cruise and many things have really changed or eliminated it would exceed what you expected.

The same would apply to being hounded by the staff. Expect it to happen and if they do it more than before than it exceeded your expectations and earns a high rating. 🤔🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I don't think I've ever given a 10 for any category on one of those forms. 10 is perfect, and the engineer in me just can't let me give a perfect score because I havn't seen perfect from anyone on a ship. Beg all you want, you aint perfect. If any of these lines are are holding a score of 7-9 against an employee they should be flogged. In most cases the employees are not named and with the exception of the room steward they have no idea who you are thinking/scoring of when you fill out the forms. I would guess they all go into one giant database and the scores are averaged by category. The averages might be fed down to the captains who knows. But the begging is certainly irritating and I have actaully mentioned that to the head waiter on an occasion or two.

I really hope that I don't experience this in January when I sail the Equinox.

If so, chances are I will embarrass my wife with my response. I get that it isn't the staffs fault per say, but how good of a system could it be if the people being rated are trying to influence your decision/feelings of your experience?

Ratings like this are just plain silly, lazy and antiquated. How about you actually contact random people who spent $$$ with your company instead of guilting your good customers to do the work for you and it often isn't a true response.

The hounding about the survey is about as bad as the hounding to upgrade alc / diniing packages, but it's the cruise line that causes it with their operational model.

My understanding is:

For the alc / dining upgrades they sell, they get $ added to pay.

For the survey results, they get extra days or half days off and counts for promotions and better assignments!

We do our best to rate fairly, knowing how much is at stake!

I really hope that I don't experience this in January when I sail the Equinox.

If so, chances are I will embarrass my wife with my response. I get that it isn't the staffs fault per say, but how good of a system could it be if the people being rated are trying to influence your decision/feelings of your experience?

Ratings like this are just plain silly, lazy and antiquated. How about you actually contact random people who spent $$$ with your company instead of guilting your good customers to do the work for you and it often isn't a true response.

If someone wants to influence us and wants that 10 rating all they have to do is their job at that level of service. We will compliment and give thanks during the cruise. No badgering. That's exactly what we experienced on our last three 2018 Celebrity cruise.

Don’t complain to us. When filling out the survey make everthing a 1 and provide your email and phone number.

I guarantee you will get a response and then you can explain why

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I wasn't complaining to you, I was asking if anybody else was annoyed by this, in case this standard practice was embraced by others, and we were being petty as a group. And why would I give them a 1 if they were an 8 or a 9?

I filled out the survey, and in the comments I noted my distaste that they apparently treat their employees so poorly that staff are anxious at the end of every cruise. That their staff feel they have to reiterate over and over and over how important it is that we rate them a 10. Can you imagine how it must make them feel, and how it made us feel? We enjoyed banter with everyone 8 of the 11 nights, laughing together, and then they feel they have to spend the last three talking about their "rating", and we start to wonder if they ever did enjoy those first 8 nights! Bubble burst.

Nobody begged me for tips. They begged me for a good rating.

Iamthesea, I will absolutely use that line on my February cruise!!!

And Zenica, quite right, I received the surveys from Toyota and Audi and Smart over the years too. It's ridiculous isn't it.

We have sailed w/ Celebrity many times (as well as other cruise lines) but have never been asked by anyone to rate them as a 10. We are always reminded by the dining room staff over and over to complete the survey....but NEVER to be sure to give a specific rating.

We have sailed w/ Celebrity many times (as well as other cruise lines) but have never been asked by anyone to rate them as a 10. We are always reminded by the dining room staff over and over to complete the survey....but NEVER to be sure to give a specific rating.

Very surprised to hear that the scores were never mentioned when they reminded you about completing the survey again and again.

Very surprised to hear that the scores were never mentioned when they reminded you about completing the survey again and again.

Also, we are rarely reminded more than once by a specific person. Generally, the wait staff will mention it towards the end of the cruise and the restaurant manager will then stop by a night or two later and remind us of the importance of it. I'd get annoyed easily if it were any more than that.

During our 12-night cruise on Silhouette (December 2017), we did have a very good server and excellent wine steward in the MDR. While we were very happy with the level of service and attention we received, there were a couple of minor issues along the way. Nothing that was going to cause us to ding the service staff during the online review. However, as many others have said, our MDR waiter did ask us to give them a 10 if we were happy with their service. It only happened once about 2 nights prior to the end of the cruise.

We are usually booked on longer itineraries where having to maintain a high level of service can be harder and give you an opportunity to notice when it is not up to par more often. Regardless, I also wish that there wasn't the incessant need for the waiters to feel the need to get their customers to rate them as a 10.

The hounding about the survey is about as bad as the hounding to upgrade alc / diniing packages, but it's the cruise line that causes it with their operational model.

My understanding is:

For the alc / dining upgrades they sell, they get $ added to pay.

For the survey results, they get extra days or half days off and counts for promotions and better assignments!

We do our best to rate fairly, knowing how much is at stake!

OMG, On the Summit there is a guy who looks DEAD that every time he saw us, tried to get us to dine at Tuscany a second time. If he didn't seriously look like this guy ↓ I might have said yes, the restaurant itself was good but I couldn't talk to him for more than 10 seconds!!2327822-dracsatwip.jpg

We have been cruising since 1983. We’ve heard this pitch every time. Rarely have we had any complaints so we give them what they ask for. It’s not the staffs fault, they are repeating what they’re told to say. I believe they are penalized if they don’t get top ratings. I don’t wait for the survey if I have a real complaint, I speak with a manager of the department in question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums